my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » MTV Online Interview

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MTV Online Interview
JCN1971
VoivodFan
Member # 742

posted January 27, 2006 07:27     Profile for JCN1971   Email JCN1971     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Copied from The Chophouse forum:

Back in August, just days before Denis "Piggy" D'Amour succumbed to advanced colon cancer, Voivod drummer Michael "Away" Langevin said he awoke one morning to a ringing phone. It was D'Amour, and he wanted Langevin to stop into the Montreal hospital where he was being treated. D'Amour said he wanted the drummer to come as soon as he possibly could.

"He told me, 'You have to come [to the hospital] right now. I have something to tell you,' " Away recalled. "I went, and he told me that the doctor informed him he had days to live. He said he really wanted to fulfill his contract with the End Records," Voivod's label home, "and then he instructed me to grab his laptop and started telling me where to find these files."

The files contained what Away described as "four albums' worth" of lead, rhythm and solo guitar tracks D'Amour had recorded prior to checking himself into the hospital the previous spring. While Voivod — rounded out by former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted and singer Denis "Snake" Belanger — had spent more than two years working on fresh material together, none of it was recorded with state-of-the-art equipment in a professional studio. The music on D'Amour's laptop was.

A couple of hours after Away's bedside visit to D'Amour, "Piggy's mind started to wander, and I was asking him questions about the [computer files] and he had no idea what I was talking about. It's almost like he woke up and felt his brain was going and realized he needed to tell me [about the tracks] as soon as possible. He slipped into a coma a day or two later, so this album came very close to not existing."

"Close" is an understatement. But the good news is the album — which the band worked on with producer Glen Robinson (Gwar, Annihilator) by writing and recording around Piggy's guitar parts — is done. Away says he feels the yet-untitled effort's a fitting homage to his fallen bandmate. "It's quite a miracle that this music will live on," he said.

The disc, to be released this spring, will feature 10 tracks, with working titles like "Red My Mind," "The Getaway," "Polaroids," "After All" and "No Angel." Voivod plan to return to the studio in the fall to record another 13 tracks for an album Away said will surface in 2007.

"I'm proud of this album in the sense that it would have been a disaster that Piggy's music would go unheard," the drummer said. "Now it will be released, which is a miracle. I am proud that we were able to gather our spirits enough to actually finish off his work."

Voivod have no immediate touring plans, Away said. That's because it's been too hard for the band to discuss the topic. "We decided to concentrate on finishing this album and think about the live aspect of it later," he said. "Right now it's difficult for us to think about touring without Piggy being onstage with us. I think we'll have to eventually sit down and really discuss it, but it was hard enough to go into the studio and finish the album without him.

"Piggy was a founding member and has been there with us all the way through. I have been jamming with him since '79, so it's really hard to picture a tour without him. ... We'd have to find a replacement that Piggy would be proud of."

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 27, 2006 08:31     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is on BBm as well:

VOIVOD Drummer Is 'Proud' Of Band's New Album - Jan. 27, 2006

VOIVOD drummer Michael "Away" Langevin recently spoke to MTV.com about the making of the group's new album in the wake of the tragic passing of the group's guitarist Denis "Piggy" D'Amour due to advanced colon cancer.

The disc, to be released this spring via The End Records, will feature 10 tracks, with working titles like "Red My Mind", "The Getaway", "Polaroids", "After All" and "No Angel". VOIVOD plan to return to the studio in the fall to record another 13 tracks for an album Away said will surface in 2007.

"I'm proud of this album in the sense that it would have been a disaster that Piggy's music would go unheard," the drummer said. "Now it will be released, which is a miracle. I am proud that we were able to gather our spirits enough to actually finish off his work."

VOIVOD have no immediate touring plans, Away said. That's because it's been too hard for the band to discuss the topic. "We decided to concentrate on finishing this album and think about the live aspect of it later," he said. "Right now it's difficult for us to think about touring without Piggy being onstage with us. I think we'll have to eventually sit down and really discuss it, but it was hard enough to go into the studio and finish the album without him.

"Piggy was a founding member and has been there with us all the way through. I have been jamming with him since '79, so it's really hard to picture a tour without him. ... We'd have to find a replacement that Piggy would be proud of."

Read more at MTV.com.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 27, 2006 09:21     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
" We'd have to find a replacement that Piggy would be proud of."

This, my friends, is not a "NO" imo......

--------------------

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 27, 2006 10:25     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is just no replacing Piggy.

I dont believe they will find someone to replace him for a tour.
But whatever they decide...they will have my support¸.

Thanks for posting that Interview.
It sheds some more light on what happened.

Thank you Piggy for the music.

CanuckOutcast
VoivodFan
Member # 739

posted January 27, 2006 14:29     Profile for CanuckOutcast   Email CanuckOutcast     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very good interview

--------------------

I want ALL your vinyl -- or else!

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 27, 2006 18:05     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ive been wondering if any other bands have used music recorded by band members who passed away. these albums will be historical in a recording sense, maybe?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 27, 2006 19:58     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
But the good news is the album — which the band worked on with producer Glen Robinson (Gwar, Annihilator) by writing and recording around Piggy's guitar parts — is done.

Now I'm confused...so the "demo" tracks that they had once been working on together as a band is "not" the new album then?

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Anyway
VoivodFan
Member # 594

posted January 27, 2006 20:14     Profile for Anyway   Email Anyway     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's the same
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted January 27, 2006 20:53     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
ive been wondering if any other bands have used music recorded by band members who passed away. these albums will be historical in a recording sense, maybe?

Mozart to an extent? His Requiem was made basically on his deathbed and some parts weren't finished, I think.

--------------------

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 28, 2006 03:59     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What about The Doors recording the music over Jim Morrison's poetry on 'An American Prayer'?
(I will have to give that CD another listen today. Its a good one.)

Other Artists who may or may not qualify are Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan?

I dunno.
Seems to me that what Voivod are doing is unique.
An ENTIRE CD...and others in the future.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 29, 2006 18:38     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the only thing i could think of was that old Natalie Cole/ Nat King Cole duet for some tv ad, haha.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 30, 2006 10:21     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Beatles "Free As A Bird" was recorded over a Lennon demo, and produced by Jeff Lynne, I think.
Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted January 30, 2006 10:28     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
The Beatles "Free As A Bird" was recorded over a Lennon demo, and produced by Jeff Lynne, I think.

Yep. And "Real love" too.
Fantastic production job by ELO maester.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 30, 2006 11:42     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeaaa! ELO Fans!

Nia just loves ELO too. (kidding.)

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 30, 2006 11:44     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
pffffttt!
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 30, 2006 11:49     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't say I was an ELO fan. Just said it was produced by Lynn. Don't misquote me. Mmkay?
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 30, 2006 14:10     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mmkay.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted January 30, 2006 14:16     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kudos, hex!
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 30, 2006 18:17     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Mmkay?

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan