my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Seeing Anthrax on friday...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seeing Anthrax on friday...
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted January 19, 2006 15:09     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and 9 other bands.

ANTHRAX
NILE
Hypocrisy
God Forbid
Sworn Enemy
Soilent Green
Raging Speedhorn
Manntis
Decapitated
With Passion

There to see Nile, Hypocrisy, God Forbid, and Decapitated really. Never got into Anthrax.

Gonna be quite an event, outdoor at the Pound, starts at 3.

--------------------

|  IP: Logged
marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted January 20, 2006 04:50     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice concert it must be!
I suggest you also don't miss also Raging Speedhorn that are great.
Seen Anthrax some months ago here in Italy with Joey on vocals and they kicked ass...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 20, 2006 07:41     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Enjoy the show, be sure to let us know how it was and your thoughts on Anthrax.

--------------------

yawn

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted January 20, 2006 10:08     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought it was a typo when I read about this show on The List. Outdoor show in January? It's a long way from San Jose (45 minutes!) and I'm stuck at work, so I'm not going to make it. Maybe if it was gonna be the Bush/Anthrax I would have made more of an effort.

Have fun at the show!

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted January 20, 2006 15:32     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthony:
I thought it was a typo when I read about this show on The List. Outdoor show in January? It's a long way from San Jose (45 minutes!) and I'm stuck at work, so I'm not going to make it. Maybe if it was gonna be the Bush/Anthrax I would have made more of an effort.

Have fun at the show!

Yea, surprised the show didn't sell out.

Cheers, heading out to the show now to make sure I get a ticket.

--------------------

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 20, 2006 17:23     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i only saw Anthrax once. At the Aardschok festival in '86 or so. Together with:

Metallica ( Master of puppets tour)
Celtic Frost ( Cherry Orchards....)
Crimson Glory
Metal Church

It was so crowded we couldn't sit down for 12 hours. Fuck it was briljant. And now i must go to bed take a nappienappie cose i'm full with beer..

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 20, 2006 19:35     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forget about Anthrax....How was Hypocrisy and God Forbid?????
Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 20, 2006 20:03     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NeOrc, you dont post on the Earth Dog Message Board, do you? didnt realize you were from that area....?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 21, 2006 12:31     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:

And now i must go to bed take a nappienappie cose i'm full with beer..

You're my kinda guy, Paul.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted January 22, 2006 04:21     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The only bands that shoulda played that night:

Decapitated (4 songs only?!11)
God Forbid (Very very good live, 10x better than their cds)
Hypocrisy - Eh, didn't like them that much. Much rather have seen Decapitated do a longer set.
Nile - brilliant as always
Soilent Green - decent sludge metal, the guy really sounds like Phil Anselmo.
Sworn Enemy was alright, but if I could make the play times it woulda been:

Sworn Enemy opening with 3 songs, Soilent Green next, Hypocrisy, God Forbid, then Nile, and Finally Decapitated playing a 1.5 hour set

I didn't even stay for Anthrax, there was this one guy near the front, a HxC guy yelling for Anthrax for all of Nile's set. What a douche. Plus I was tired as balls, standing in the front for 6 hours, 7 hours if you count just waiting in line.

And earth dog? Never heard of it. Link me.

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 22, 2006 08:20     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ne0rC:
And earth dog? Never heard of it. Link me.

http://www.earth-dog.com

when i think of Bay Area Thrashers, i think of this website. my friend Rich is one of the mods over there (his handle is Wretch). pretty much half of the bay area metal musicians post over there, along with people from all over the world, of course. i joined a long time ago, but i havent posted much (i already read about 10 forums/message boards a day...too much sensory input for me). ive pimped out our website over there a time or two, tho.

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 22, 2006 09:03     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
here is Wretchs review of Anthrax-

WrEtcH wrote:

ANTHRAX
San Francisco
The Pound
January 21, 2006

Among The Living
Metal Thrashing Mad
Got The Time
Caught In A Mosh
A.I.R.
Keep It In The Family
Skelleton In The Closet
Antisocial
N.F.L.
Medussa
Indians
----------------------
ENCORE:
Be All, End All
Madhouse
I Am The Law

The last recollection yours truly had of the Belladonna/Ian/Spitz/Bello/Benante line up of ANTHRAX, they looked like a band that had been on the road too long. Known for their energetic shows, they could barely keep up with PUBLIC ENEMY as both acts played a double bill at the Kaiser in Oakland. Then, as most of you know, that lineup changed as Joey Belladonna was replaced with Jon Bush and later lead guitarist Dan Spitz left the group and that era of ANTHRAX was a closed chapter.

That was then, now that lineup has reformed for a reunion tour, amongst some criticism from fans and media of how the band is "cashing in for the nostalgia" or how the band left Mr. Bush out in the cold. While, we could debate for days the moral issues of the reunion, there is still the question if the reunited ANTHRAX can still cut it live and could they reconjure the spark the band once had.

Weather it be Joey Belladonna or Jon Bush, as customary, the show began with the "Blues Brothers theme" then, "Among The Living" right out of the box followed by the only Neil Turbin song ("Metal Thrashing Mad") of the evening. What put an early damper was the mix from the soundboard. Belladonna and Bello were fine, but you barely hear the duo of Ian and Spitz.

Karma is a strong presence and you had to wonder if it had taken a turn more downward when Belladonna greeted the crowd and refered to them as Oakland (when we were in San Francisco.) Regardless what this reviewer thought, the crowd ate it up. It was a slow rite to approval, but eventually it was sinking in. "The hits" ("Caught In A Mosh," "Antisocial," "N.F.L.") took over the setlist and looking over at the original composers of that material, it was 1985-1990 again. Despite some appearance difference with hair (on their head and facial,) the band looked like the live monster they were in the eighties and they weren't going through the motions. They actually looked like they were enjoying themselves also.

Sure some songs were tuned down and there was the annoying wah effects Spitz encorperated on some solos, but the band's enthusiasm was genuine and so was the Bay Area crowd that paid to see this show. One of the most memorable moments of the show was pit circle doing the wardance during "Indians." One of more funnier was watching Belladonna try and stay note for note during the encore of "Be All, End All" after he and Bello witnessed a heavy proportioned female passed by "The Sea Of Hands" and flop over the barricade (yes, she was okay :lol ) Every time Belladonna tried to sing a lyric, more laughter ensued.

It must be noted that the band was without drummer Charlie Benante who flew back to be with his wife who gave birth to a baby girl. The drum duties were handled by SHADOWS FALL skinsman Jason Bittner who did a solid job. It almost like Benante was back there himself (well, it helps to have his kit.) "Madhouse" and "I Am The Law" finished up the encores and Ian promised, "The sickest new ANTHRAX album you ever heard!"

I guess, that means they're back for good...........

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 22, 2006 19:54     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:

WrEtcH

I heart WrEtcH...but, you knew that cthon.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 22, 2006 21:57     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got every Anthrax cd and have been a fan of theirs from "day one" and enjoyed every configuration of the band; BUT, I just can't get myself to buy the the last 2 releases that include the LIVE stuff with Joey and the BEST of Joey era. I have no doubt they still kick ass live and it's not phoney; but it just leaves me with a sick feeling and I feel like they've taken 3 steps backwards. I am interested to hear the new cd and I'll probably buy that when it hits the streets; however, I'm sure while I listen to it all I'll be able to think of is "how would this sound with Bush on vocals... and I know the answer would be "way better & way heavier".

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 22, 2006 22:41     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
theyve already released the album cover art for the new Anthrax album with Belladonna!

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 23, 2006 00:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THAT WAS FUCKIN PRICELESS...

thank you

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 23, 2006 18:47     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
THAT WAS FUCKIN PRICELESS...

thank you

if they use that as their album cover, i think theyd be my new favorite band, haha.

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 23, 2006 22:19     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
so is John Bush going to rejoin Armored Saint? because thats the upside to this, im thinking.

--------------------

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted January 24, 2006 10:07     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
so is John Bush going to rejoin Armored Saint? because thats the upside to this, im thinking.

I hope so. If not I still think that Bush could sing with just about anyone.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 24, 2006 17:40     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthony:
I hope so. If not I still think that Bush could sing with just about anyone.

true that.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 24, 2006 19:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bush should just do a solo album and invite a bunch of his buddies to play on it.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan