my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » For the vinyl freaks

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For the vinyl freaks
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted January 17, 2006 11:34     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.ion-audio.com/home/products/turntables/iTTUSB.html

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet but thought some of you might be interested. This turntable is expected in stores on 3/15/06.
I wonder if it will create any difference in tonal quality of the vinyl rips by coloring the sound? (X-D... I'm nodding to you, pal!)
Hope everyone is doing well!

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 18, 2006 07:08     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that's pretty damn interesting, but can it still be hooked up to a regular amp and just play records, or is it primarily for transfer puposes? I just skimmed the page and didn't mention analog outputs. It would be a waste if you couldn't use it to enjoy the vinyl through a stytem.

I like the style of it.

--------------------

yawn

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted January 18, 2006 07:59       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that is cool.it looks like something i would get but i know alot of vinyl freaks who like the sound of the record and wont listen to anything else.
IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 18, 2006 09:15     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"This turntable also has line level output for connecting to any home stereo with CD or auxiliary (AUX) inputs." So yep, you sure can listen to your old albums. The software it comes with for ripping (Audacity) is supposed to be pretty good.
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 19, 2006 14:16     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Only one thing concerns me - how good does it sound? If it can't live with my Linn Sondek then I wouldn't buy it. However, it's possibly an interesting option for those who would like to get a turntable to re-play and possibly archive their old vinyls. Never considered it myself though, it would take ages!

When I listen to mp3's / wma's and such like it's generally while i'm pottering around and just want a friendly noise whilst doing so. Vinyl is different - I make time for it, sit down and listen to it and enjoy, thus why I spent silly money on the turntable. It's just one of those anorakish things I do I guess

Oh, by the way, hello again

--------------------

Hail Santa...

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted January 20, 2006 03:53     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That is cool indeed. With this you can finally listen to music in the car or elsewhere, what you only can get on vinyl.

But if the sound of it is as good like my wooden framed turntable...

I once did buy a connectorset for putting vinyl on my computer, but it's a long way to put'm on

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted January 20, 2006 06:22     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knickerzohnonnof:
Only one thing concerns me - how good does it sound? If it can't live with my Linn Sondek...

I'm guessing that for that money it won't sound like your Linn.

For the money, I reckon you'd be much better off getting a good soundcard with phono inputs and using some free software.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 20, 2006 07:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've had my stereo hooked up to my PC for years, and use Roxio and other programs to transfer cassettes and vinyl with great results. This is a great option for those without the proper sound card and for those without a turntable... kill 2 birds with one hookup. But the qualty of transfewr is going to be based on how good the turntable and cartridge are, moreso than the program used to clean it up.

--------------------

yawn

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted January 20, 2006 08:38     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I've had my stereo hooked up to my PC for years, and use Roxio and other programs to transfer cassettes and vinyl with great results. This is a great option for those without the proper sound card and for those without a turntable... kill 2 birds with one hookup. But the qualty of transfewr is going to be based on how good the turntable and cartridge are, moreso than the program used to clean it up.

I agree. I didn't mention TT's as he's already got a good one. Personally, I'd recommend getting one from ebay; Thorens suspended decks go for fourty quid all the time in the UK. That, a decent cart and a decent sound card would have to sound better than the deck we're discussing. Though this "ion-audio" deck does remove all the bother that I'm suggesting...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan