my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » good news for Slayer fans

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: good news for Slayer fans
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted January 15, 2006 14:47       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SLAYER guitarist Kerry King recently spoke to Decibel magazine (web site) about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's much-anticipated follow-up to 2001's "God Hates Us All", tentatively due late summer/early fall via American Recordings.

According to King, the upcoming CD doesn't have a working title just yet ("every time you give one of those out, it always changes anyway," he explained), and it contains no overriding lyrical theme a la the war stories of "Diabolus In Musica" or "Divine Intervention"'s explorations of madness.

"I think the idea is to get eleven [songs] on there," King offered. "We have the music for ten and I have lyrics for four of those, so we're in the home stretch."

King is hoping to enter the studio shortly and promises a quick recording process.

"We've been playing together for so long now, we can just nail it and get it out there so we can go out and tour again."

The upcoming CD will be the group's first studio recording since drummer Dave Lombardo rejoined the band back in December 2001. While King claims Lombardo hasn't directly influenced the songwriting, "it definitely changes the complexion of the final product. I think if anybody's gonan fit the band best it's gonna be Dave, because he was there when we started."

"I think it'll be an extension of 'God Hates Us All', but with Dave's unique style," King told Revolver magazine for its February 2006 issue. "Dave's such a natural. He's a loose cannon, but in a good way. He'll go off and play something crazy, and we'll be like, 'Holy shit, remember that!'"

Although King was previously quoted as saying that he wants Dave Sardy to produce SLAYER's next album, there is currently talk about about a possible collaboration with "Reign in Blood" producer Rick Rubin on the upcoming CD. "I don't know if he's heard what we've been doing lately, so we'll probably have to go do a demo in Dave's garage again, like the old days, get it to Rubin and see what he thinks," King told Decibel.

While most of the album's lyrics have yet to be penned, the final product is sure to be as scathing, misanthropic and controversial as anything SLAYER have written. One of guitarist Jeff Hanneman's songs may even address the attacks of 9/11 from the terrorists' perspective. "We're SLAYER, dude," King told Revolver. "We have to be dangerous."

Although SLAYER are obviously in no danger of being forgotten, King promises that the classic lineup "isn't a reunion 'cash-in-and-go-away' thing. We're not close to hanging it up; we've still got a lot left," he told Decibel.

IP: Logged
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted January 15, 2006 14:50       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
with Lombardo back and Rick Rubin producing this could end up being a damn good album.
IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 15, 2006 15:18     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SLAYER RULES.
In my opinion one of the few bands that never ever sells out. Every album strong. I will buy it the day it comes out. The same i did with every other Slayer album.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 15, 2006 21:12     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I second Paul's brilliant words.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 15, 2006 23:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FUCKIN' A BABY
What could put in my happy place better than a new SLAYER album with Lombado back. Those smooth mellow grooves just relax me and help me chill out from a hard day at work... ha ha ha

Can't wait to annoy the old farts at work with this one.

Thanks for the info

--------------------

yawn

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 16, 2006 00:16     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
wicked.
Huck Finn
VoivodFan
Member # 585

posted January 16, 2006 10:42     Profile for Huck Finn   Email Huck Finn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
so let me get this straight.

New Voivod
New Celtic Frost
New Venom
New Slayer

Wow is it 06 or 86?

This rules!

--------------------

Here we go Steelers, here we go!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 16, 2006 10:55     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Huck Finn:
so let me get this straight.

New Voivod
New Celtic Frost
New Venom
New Slayer

Wow is it 06 or 86?

This rules!

I hope it's not 86 again. Venom released Calm Before the Storm that year. Bleargh.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 16, 2006 12:00     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey! I *liked* Calm Before The Storm! I totally wore that tape out. Btw it was 1987, not 86.
JCN1971
VoivodFan
Member # 742

posted January 16, 2006 14:56     Profile for JCN1971   Email JCN1971     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
New Voivod
New Celtic Frost
New Venom
New Slayer

Also New Tool
New Sepultura
and possibly New Machine Head

Great, more good music for me to spend my money on.

I am most excited about the Voivod and MH albums.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 17, 2006 20:42     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
Hey! I *liked* Calm Before The Storm! I totally wore that tape out. Btw it was 1987, not 86.

Oh, you're right. They recorded the album after they came here, in December '86.

Well, you got the idea anyway.

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan