my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Smashing...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smashing...
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 11, 2006 13:17     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...Pumpkins. Mrs. Helicopter bought some DVD with all their videos on the other night and she made me watch it with her.
I fucking hated them before, but God the videos are so damn good I actually listened to the tunes and... now I'm a fan.

I had Mellon Collie on my mp3 player today and I think the man is a genius. Sorry. Am I still allowed to use this site? I mean, they sort of sound metal and the bass player was/is ooooohhhhhhh especially in 'Zero' but... well... its the Smashing Pumpkins for fucks sake. Whats going on?

Oh, I'm getting my sweet revenge on Mrs. Helicopter tonight because my 2nd hand copy of 'Some Kind Of Monster' has just arrived! heheheheheh

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

|  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted January 11, 2006 13:20     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Billy Corgan used to be a pretty talented songwriter, but I've always H A T E D his nasal whine. Still really dig the song Cherub Rock though.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 11, 2006 13:20     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still say Siamese Dreams was one of the better overall albums of the 90's. So lush yet so massively heavy.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 11, 2006 13:41     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you are all banned from this forum.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 11, 2006 13:55     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nia:
you are all banned from this forum.

And you will be smashed, pumpkin!

"Siamese Dream" is a fave of mine.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted January 11, 2006 14:21     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe.
I really like them too. Listen to Rocket. Pretty damn good song

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 11, 2006 14:40     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
And you will be smashed, pumpkin!

"Siamese Dream" is a fave of mine.

true story, my dad used to call me pumpkin so i guess that's only fitting.

anyway i have the fold out tristessa 7" so whatevahhhhh. vive le vinyl rare!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 11, 2006 15:05     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fer sure. Like, totally bitchen.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 11, 2006 15:29     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you kidding me, EKH?

Nevermind the Vocals of that band (Yuk)...
James Iha is one of my fav Guitarists of all time!

EKH...listen to some more of that, but this time just listen to what he is doing on the Guitar.
You will understand what i mean.

Moi top fav Guitarists remain the same.

Piggy
James Iha
John 5
etc

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 11, 2006 16:19     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listening to "Mellon Collie etc." right here right now. I still love that album...

Corgan's vocals might be hard to swallow for some, I've never had much problems with it. Musicianship is exxxcellent, production is great, and so on...

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 11, 2006 16:38     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
James Iha? I always thought he was some kind of Kirk Hammett, not doing much because the singer/rythm guitarist does most of the job...
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 11, 2006 17:20     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, group hug here!

For a minute I thought y'all might out me for listening to such a (to use a Heavy Metal expression) "fucking gay" band.

So, uh... what is the stance on Placebo? I've been to see them and everything.

Don't get me wrong, I have no troublesome issues with my sexuality or masculinity nor my proximity to my abundant feminine side - everything in this realm is marked by balance and contentment. My third eye is twinkling yet benign.

The issue here is I feel REALLY metal at the moment because my hair is now officially long (and black) and, I dunno, I feel like I ought to be listening to Arch Enemy or some other bland one-for-the-money identikit bullshit 'metal' performance act... Devildriver, why not. Oh fuck it, I'm going to go listen to Coal Chamber and chew my own fucking hands off.

Had a point back there before the tablets kicked in. God I wish I had a wider...whats the word...damnit... uh... vocabulary!

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 11, 2006 17:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I've got most of the Pumpkins releases and some rarities although it's been a while since I've played them I have that cool box that has the singles in it, which is awesome looking.

Their videos really brought the songs to life. I do have to be in the right mood to listen to his voice but the stuff holds up fairly well after all this time. Never much cared for anything Corgan has done after the Pumpkins.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 11, 2006 22:02     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Smashing Pumpkins are indeed a great band. Mellon Collie is my favourite, but I also like the last album, Machina. Lots of great songs.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 12, 2006 07:06     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Number 6:
Are you kidding me, EKH?

Nevermind the Vocals of that band (Yuk)...
James Iha is one of my fav Guitarists of all time!

EKH...listen to some more of that, but this time just listen to what he is doing on the Guitar.
You will understand what i mean.

Moi top fav Guitarists remain the same.

Piggy
James Iha
John 5
etc

I don't know about his guitar playing but Iha had great highlights.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 12, 2006 08:17     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaÿtanic:
Smashing Pumpkins are indeed a great band. Mellon Collie is my favourite, but I also like the last album, Machina. Lots of great songs.

I think we talked about this before, but yeah, Machina is pretty underrated. Just listen to "Heavy Metal Machine", which is very, well, Heavy Metal. And that oversaturated disto!

I also love Mellon Collie. Ever noticed how "Fuck You (An Ode to No One)" really sounds like Judas Priest?

Huck Finn
VoivodFan
Member # 585

posted January 12, 2006 12:50     Profile for Huck Finn   Email Huck Finn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
no

--------------------

Here we go Steelers, here we go!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 12, 2006 13:00     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yes
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted January 19, 2006 12:16     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Comeback?
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted January 19, 2006 13:43     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
False!
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 28, 2006 01:32     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked the Pumpkins alot in 93 and 94. A LOT. Siamese Dream is one of my favorite albums of any kind of music.

My gf actually went out with Corgan when they were 14 They are still friends, actually.

It's amazing that Corgan did virtually ALL of the bass and guitar on Gish, and most of the bass on Dream. You see, D'Arcy couldn't play worth a shit, she was mainly for touring in the begining.

--------------------

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 28, 2006 12:03     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuke Fuse:
You see, D'Arcy couldn't play worth a shit, she was mainly for touring in the begining.

Yes, but this does not change the fact that I enjoy looking at her.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 28, 2006 16:46     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, she's very cute, but don't let it fool you, she's hardcore, haha.

I would recommend seeing the Saturday Night Live (American sketch comedy show) show they played on, she's wearing some sort of see-through top with nothing underneath

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan