my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Frightful PMS Thing (formerly a poll) (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: The Frightful PMS Thing (formerly a poll)
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 21, 2005 00:33     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bear with me here... I am having trouble deciding whether to include a certain song on disc 7b of the new series. One thing I strive for is not to include songs which have enjoyed 'moderate to high' levels of 'commercial success'. (it kinda defeats the whole purpose here)

There is, however, one song which fits nicely into what I am trying to achieve during a section of this disc, but I am afraid that some might hear the song and cringe -- due to the fact that it was at one time in fairly heavy rotation on the dreaded MTV playlist.

To me, the song is a killer & still holds up well, but I'd like to hear some thoughts on this -- especially since I've encountered the dilemma before.

The song is A Small Victory by Faith No More. Please vote 'Yay' or 'Nay' and feel free to add comments.

Thx.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

|  IP: Logged
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted December 21, 2005 00:37     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Never heard it.

So by all means, include it!

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 21, 2005 01:41     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
..yay..

I think the flow of the disk is far more important than wheather or not someone might have heard a piece before - in fact it's comforting to have a bit of familier music now and again after all the 'wtf?! jesus!' leftfield stuff. Draws you back in and makes the whole more rounded.

Besides, 'moderate to high levels' of success didn't stop you putting Johhny Cash on before, did it?

I'm sure if you think it fits then you should put it in. When I saw 'Chessboards' by Killing Joke (on vol. 3?) I thought, why that one of all the better ones they've done? But, it fit.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 21, 2005 07:21     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YAY ! ! !

There was actually a point in time when the masses were open minded enough to listen to FNM but it didn't last long enough. Obviously FNM were too "outside the box" for coninued mass appeal, but to me I love all their material.

OF COURSE PUT IT ON.

That's another band I would like to see reform, although I do enjoy TOMAHAWK a lot. King For a Day - Album Of The Year are incredible albums that often get over looked. I think Angel Dust really threw people for a loop and they expected part 2 of The Real Thing.

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 21, 2005 07:58     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why not RV? J/K man.

That would be cool if FNM got back together, but there was just too much bullshit between everyone. Same with Bungle, it would be a snowball in hell if either band reunited.

I think it's pretty cool Trey is the guitarist on King for a Day.

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 21, 2005 07:59     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Besides, 'moderate to high levels' of success didn't stop you putting Johhny Cash on before, did it?

I was just gonna say that! So, basically, yay for FNM.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted December 21, 2005 09:14     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yay!
I think the Helicopter put it nicely.
Cannot wait to hear the new PMS!!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Huck Finn
VoivodFan
Member # 585

posted December 21, 2005 10:22     Profile for Huck Finn   Email Huck Finn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yay.

Any FNM song would fit onto any comp. That was their appeal to me. They were not a specific style.

--------------------

Here we go Steelers, here we go!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 21, 2005 10:30     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yay. Love that song.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted December 21, 2005 18:06     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A big "YAY!" from me too! Cool comments people, couldn't agree more with you!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 21, 2005 18:25     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, Tango, please remind me...what does PMS stand for? Cause I always think of something else when I read that you know...
Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted December 21, 2005 19:06     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YAY Hey dude this compi is your creation so I'm sure it won't be commercial at all! We all know you got great taste in music. Sure you'll impress us with this new one again!

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 21, 2005 19:49     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
..yay..

I think the flow of the disk is far more important than wheather or not someone might have heard a piece before - in fact it's comforting to have a bit of familier music now and again after all the 'wtf?! jesus!' leftfield stuff. Draws you back in and makes the whole more rounded.

I'm sure if you think it fits then you should put it in. When I saw 'Chessboards' by Killing Joke (on vol. 3?) I thought, why that one of all the better ones they've done? But, it fit.

Wow man, we definitely think alike. About the flow, mixing things up/ rounding things out, and those were my exact thoughts when I used that particular KJ song. As for Johnny Cash, shit... he's just The Man in Black. He transcends it all.

quote:
Originally posted by hexonut:
Include whatever you like Tang - for me it doesn't matter if it's "anti-radio", but it just must be "weird enough"

I want you to know, Hex: you and your "needs" have been in my thoughts throughout this ENTIRE process. ...and I'm not joking; I have been endeavoring to achieve levels of Weirdness

Hitherto unknown to the people of this area

Anyway, looks like an overwhelming 'Yay' here so far. Glad to hear it... update very soon.

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 21, 2005 19:57     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Hey, Tango, please remind me...what does PMS stand for? Cause I always think of something else when I read that you know...

Psych Music Sampler, but there is (was) a bit more to it. These discs began when my wife and I were not getting along so well, mostly because I was unemployed & losing the house, and she was behaving like a psycho bitch from hell.

Thus, PMS was on my mind. Thankfully, things have improved immensely on all fronts, but these discs were my escape back then. Maybe I should move on to a new title?

--------------------

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted December 21, 2005 21:02     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A Small Victory is a great song, one of FNM's best for sure.
Maybe I'm biased cos I think Angel Dust is their best album

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 21, 2005 23:09     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
MFC = Music For Cunts.

If you can't stand being called a cunt, than you should probably skip this

DAMN, I read it, and now it's too late to skip it! ! !

--------------------

yawn

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 22, 2005 00:59     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
MFC = Music For Cunts.

If you can't stand being called a cunt, than you should probably skip this

I'll be sure to quote that when I send my sisters in Cali their copies.

--------------------

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 22, 2005 02:09     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Or maybe NHD - Non-Human Detector. I have PMS disks on at work and I've found that non-Human listeners (i.e. 'the Normals') will fold their arms and glare at the stereo.

The French girl who works with me liked it the theme from Amile came on (all French accordian music - her eyes lit up) but then got lost when NoMeansNo (or was it Napalm Death) came on.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted December 22, 2005 09:44     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Or maybe NHD - Non-Human Detector. I have PMS disks on at work and I've found that non-Human listeners (i.e. 'the Normals') will fold their arms and glare at the stereo.

The French girl who works with me liked it the theme from Amile came on (all French accordian music - her eyes lit up) but then got lost when NoMeansNo (or was it Napalm Death) came on.

hmmm. Well, Mr. Luna sorta does that whenever I play the PMS discs. Are we doomed then?

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 22, 2006 03:41     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey kids, WHAT TIME IS IT?

...oops

sorry, wrong 'train of thought'.

Anyway, I have an update for those still following this project, this deranged indulgence of mine.

As I explained to (your friend and mine) Chaosmongirl on that frightening MySpace thing, Disc 7 (a 2 parter) is basically done. I also told her that I have NEVER put this much time and effort into anything. Ever. I'm pretty happy with the way it has emerged, and I hope you folks will be able to relate to this shit.

Just remember this: if it's just TOO FUCKING WEIRD for you, blame Hex.

Because Disc(s) 7 took so long to complete, I have altered my plans and will release 5-7 in reverse order. (the other two will most likely take far less time to complete) For 7, the artwork and a few touch-ups are all that's left.

I just need a show of hands to get an idea of how many I need to 'manufacture'.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 22, 2006 09:48     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, add me to your list but I'd like to make a donation to the fund this time. Believe me I know what shipping costs...especially to those European bastards. I think if you're shipping overseas I'd almost require the money first. I'll myspace you my address.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 22, 2006 10:09     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My hand's up. Don't mind "donating" either.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 22, 2006 12:19     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Count me in....didn't I donate something recently? Eh, wouldn't hurt for me to spread the wealth, cuz, you know. I'm loaded.
(and I lie too)

--------------------

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted April 22, 2006 14:07     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
<--- all 4 hands up

I'll be heading for Sweden in June, and can assist with European distribution if this is ready by then.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted April 22, 2006 17:08     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know i'm in

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan