my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Report: Club Where DIMEBAG Was Murdered Continues To Be Blacklisted By Bands, Booking

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Report: Club Where DIMEBAG Was Murdered Continues To Be Blacklisted By Bands, Booking
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted December 10, 2005 17:59       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Report: Club Where DIMEBAG Was Murdered Continues To Be Blacklisted By Bands, Booking Agents - Dec. 10, 2005

Aaron Beck and John Futty of The Columbus Dispatch have issued the following report:

Shortly after 10 p.m. on Dec. 8, 2004, Nathan Gale of Marysville climbed a security fence outside the Alrosa Villa nightclub.

The Texas heavy-metal band DAMAGEPLAN had just begun playing its first song, Breathing New Life.

Gale, 25, entered a side door, made his way through the crowd, walked around a stack of amplifiers and onto the stage, where he pulled out a handgun.

Within three minutes, five people were dead or dying, including guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, DAMAGEPLAN crew member Jeffrey Thompson, club security guard Erin Halk, audience member Nathan Bray and Gale, shot by a police officer.

Two other DAMAGEPLAN crew members, Christopher Paluska and John Brooks, and an audience member, Travis Burnett, were wounded.

A year later, echoes of the shootings can still be heard, from the nightclub to the state legislature and from Columbus to Texas.

The club: The graffiti honoring Abbott has been washed off the side of Alrosa Villa and the boulder that served as a makeshift memorial is largely free of the tributes.

But the shooting's legacy is very real at the North Side club.

Since the shootings, booking agents and a few bands have all but blacklisted the 31-year-old venue. This year, the club hosted eight national acts, compared with 20 to 25 a year before the shooting.

"We've lost a tremendous amount of money, not because of Columbus customers, but because bands won't play here," club owner Rick Cautela said. "And no band from Texas wants to play here."

The Houston band KING'S X, which played Nov. 12, was an exception, even though the band's singer, Doug Pinnick, was close to Abbott.

"Everybody didn't think about it at all until they got on stage and then it was really weird," said KING'S X road manager Jay Phebus. "But I mean, what are we going to do? Not play every place Dime played?"

The band: The surviving members of DAMAGEPLAN returned to Texas after the shooting and have played together only once since.

Bassist Robert "Bob Zilla" Kakaha doesn’t know if the band still exists.

"You'll have to ask Vinnie that one," he said recently, referring to drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, Darrell Abbott's brother.

Kakaha did say he plans to perform with Abbott and DAMAGEPLAN singer Patrick Lachman on New Year's Eve in the band’s home base of Arlington, Texas.

Lachman has formed a new band in San Francisco.

Since the shooting, Vinnie Paul Abbott has granted only one major [print] interview — to Guitar World magazine, which had published a column by his brother. Throughout the year, bands and musicians paid tribute to Darrell Abbott from concert stages. On Saturday in Fort Worth, Texas, nine heavy-metal bands will perform during "Dimefest."

Proceeds will go to the Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund to cover medical and other costs of former DAMAGEPLAN crew mates Brooks, Thompson and Paluska.

The officer: Columbus Police Officer James Niggemeyer won't be on duty [Thursday night, December 8, 2005].

He decided several weeks ago that he didn't want to work on the first anniversary of the carnage at Alrosa Villa, which he ended by shooting gunman Gale.

"I didn't think my mind would be there," he said yesterday. "I'll just take the night off and relax."

One year later, Niggemeyer still wishes it could have ended some other way. But he remains convinced he made the right choice when he killed Gale.

A Franklin County grand jury cleared the officer, and a police review board ruled that he acted properly. Witnesses hailed him as a hero whose quick action saved lives. Awards and accolades rolled in.

The 32-year-old officer continues to work the night shift out of the same substation at Karl and Morse roads.

The trauma of that night lingers.

"It's still fresh," he said. "It's still something that's on your mind all the time."

The shooter: A year later, Gale's motive remains a mystery. Even a recently released 627-page police investigation contained few clues about what drove the Marysville man to such a rampage.

Gale's mother told investigators that her son was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2003 and may not have been taking medication.

Some estranged friends said Gale once told them that PANTERA, the Abbott brothers' previous band, had stolen lyrics from him, but investigators found nothing about the bands in a search of Gale's apartment.

Police also confirmed that Gale caused a disturbance on stage during a DAMAGEPLAN concert in Cincinnati eight months before the shootings at Alrosa.

But Bo Toler, the owner of a Marysville tattoo parlor, who spoke to an agitated Gale just hours before the shootings, said Gale expressed no interest in the Abbotts' bands.

"Gale never talked about the group PANTERA or Dimebag Darrell Abbott or going to any concert," Toler told investigators, and Gale "never mentioned anything that day about going to a concert later that evening."

The crackdown: Columbus officials have backed away from efforts to keep unaccompanied minors out of Alrosa Villa and other nightspots.

A few months after the shootings, police charged Alrosa Villa and the Newport Music Hall with violating an obscure state law prohibiting "public dance halls" from admitting minors without a parent or legal guardian.

But the city attorney's office conceded that the 80-year-old statute, also found in the city code, was outdated and difficult to enforce.

This fall, the city dismissed the charges and allowed the club owners to essentially pay a fine without entering a plea, said City Prosecutor Steve McIntosh.

State Rep. Larry Wolpert, a Hilliard Republican, is co-sponsoring legislation that would eliminate the dance-hall law.

IP: Logged
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted December 10, 2005 18:01       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
what the bands and Dimebags family are doing to this club is fuck'n shitty.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 10, 2005 21:04     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't see any logic in placing a lawsuit against a club that is already obviously going down the tubes, and aside from that didn't really do anything different than any other club in America on that fateful day last year. I don't even think it is a strong case, it might even be thrown out because how are they gonna prove the security was not good enough? Of course it coulda been better, it can ALWAYS be better. A matter of fact, I thought it was the BAND'S decision to increase security at gigs. This is stupid, and like the family needs the money

About bands not wanting to play there, I wouldn't necessarily call it "blacklisting". Would YOU wanna play on a stage that someone was murdered on, let alone in a PLACE people died? Not me. It isn't about being scared it will happen again, it's the fact it happened.

--------------------

|  IP: Logged
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted December 10, 2005 21:58       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
people have died at other clubs and bands still play there.
I remember something about a bunch of people getting trampled to death at a Cincinatti show and bands still play at that place.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 12, 2005 01:52     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That is a LITTLE different situation there. Wasn't that an AC/DC show? I remember hearing about that back in the early 90's.

--------------------

KMBT
VoivodFan
Member # 727

posted December 12, 2005 03:02     Profile for KMBT   Email KMBT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was a WHO show, you're right on who would want to play there? Club security doesn't matter if someone decides to get you they will.
Jacque Luminous
VoivodFan
Member # 621

posted December 12, 2005 11:08     Profile for Jacque Luminous   Email Jacque Luminous     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, it was a general admission Who show. I saw UFO in '77 at a HUGE venue and it was GA. People ran like mad, but luckily no casualties.
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 12, 2005 12:25     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not that I know anything about the specifics of this case, but from a band's standpoint, I'm sick and tired on how clubs treat bands. They nickle and dime you at every corner, they rip you off when it comes to getting paid at the end of the night, they lie about how much was made at the bar or at the door, they tell you that although the club was full that most people were not there for you but for another band, they tell you they need to keep X amount of dollars for security and door man, etc.
Now it must be stated that I hate frivolous law suits more than the average guy, so if it is one, I hope it's thrown out of court. I'd hate to see a club owner loose his business on a bogus event he has no control over. But if I were in the band and I had to give up 20% of my revenue to pay for the security that the "club provides" only to find out they spent two nickels on bullshit security, yeah, I'd be a little pissed if a band member died.
Just my two cents. Again, to reiterate, if it's a frivolous lawsuit, I pray it gets thrown out. But on behalf of bands who always get pissed on and money taken from them for services that don't exist, I'm not mad at the family just yet. I guess what I'm saying is, don't prejudge the family's motives, that's all.

Huck Finn
VoivodFan
Member # 585

posted December 12, 2005 14:23     Profile for Huck Finn   Email Huck Finn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Over the last eight years, I have worked security for shows at various venues. I have worked everything from the Vans Warped tour to 15 people watching some local unsigned band.

I have no idea how they could not have a security person stationed at every door that accessed the club. Especially for a show like Damage Plan. Security is usually based on what kind of show is playing.

With DP you expect there to be stagedivers and a pit, all with a routy atmosphere. To understaff would be a HUGE mistake and sadly it was.

The venue is however, ultimately responsible. It sounds to me like they tried to save money by cutting back on security. What else could possibly explain why a side door is left unguarded.

You cant tell me the club had a show coming up with D/P had no idea how to staff for security. They dropped the ball and the club should be closed because of this incident.

Just my opinion....

--------------------

Here we go Steelers, here we go!

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted December 12, 2005 14:40       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well when i was there several months earlier to see Prong i didnt see any security at all,which i thought was great because the tickets where real cheap.
Also i've been to many other clubs where they had too much security.
When i was in High school i use to hate the pat down and emtying pockets for every show in downtown Detroit,but i do realize it was needed.It wasnt called the Murder City in the 70's for nothing.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan