my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » AT THE GATES

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AT THE GATES
HOTH SYSTEM
VoivodFan
Member # 723

posted December 07, 2005 10:32     Profile for HOTH SYSTEM   Email HOTH SYSTEM     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can anyone recommend anything in the same vein as - and as good as (if possible) - Gardens of Grief?

--------------------

RIP Piggy

|  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 07, 2005 11:16     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah. The next two albums. With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness and The Red In The Sky Is Ours carried on in much the same vein as the Gardens of Grief demo. Later At the Gates got a bit iffy, but those two are still batshit nutso, complicated and fun. For what it's worth, try Darkthrone's "Soulside Journey" if you've not heard it already, I've always thought it was pretty similar to early At The Gates (lots of nice harmonies and things going on).
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 08, 2005 00:31     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lyckantropen:
Yeah. With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness and The Red In The Sky Is Ours

I've been meaning to get these, I am At the Gates illiterate at the moment, have nothing to say!

--------------------

HOTH SYSTEM
VoivodFan
Member # 723

posted December 08, 2005 06:41     Profile for HOTH SYSTEM   Email HOTH SYSTEM     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cheers Lyckantropen - I actually meant if there were any other bands who did that sort of stuff (I've got most of ATG's other work). Gardens of Grief was my favourite release - Souls of the Evil Departed etc. - and although I like The Red In The Sky... etc. I don't think the riffs/heaviness/production was as good as GoG. So I was lookintg to see if anyone knew of any other bands of the calibre of GoG. Yeah, I head that Darkthrone LP a while back. If you like the ATG sound you might like UK's Malefic http://www.malefic.co.uk/. Have you heard At The Gate's cover of Captor of Sin?? A worthy tribute...

--------------------

RIP Piggy

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 08, 2005 14:54     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've only got Slaughter Of The Soul (love it), so these recommendations would be great for me too. I am only semi-literate when it comes to ATG.

You may want to check out Arsis http://www.worshipdepraved.com/ as many folks have said they are the best thing to happen to melodic death metal since ATG.

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted December 08, 2005 15:01     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Black Dahlia Murder

Pretty much ATG-clone from the Slaughter of the Soul-era. I like their second album Miasma best.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan