my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Link Wray R.I.P.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Link Wray R.I.P.
sidbru
VoivodFan
Member # 457

posted November 20, 2005 15:58     Profile for sidbru   Email sidbru     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The inventor of the power chord passed away this weekend age 76. The guy had been destroying amps and eardrums since the fifties, undisputably sowing the seeds that would grow to be Metal.
I saw him about 10 years ago. Although his speaker cab was facing the back of stage wall,he still get crankin up the drive throughout his set till chords and notes lasted for about 3 seconds before descending into raging feedback,his young-gun backing band struggling to keep up while Link would jump to the floor and wander around getting in punters faces, scaring the ones he hadnt driven wild. What a dude. What a motherfucker.
Rest in Peace man.

|  IP: Logged
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted November 20, 2005 19:24     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Link was one of the greats. Hardcore all the way to the end.

RIP Link, thanks for all the great music.

consumer
VoivodFan
Member # 421

posted November 21, 2005 02:01     Profile for consumer   Email consumer     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Defintely another sad loss of a true innovator. If the interviews I've read are true he basicaly pioneered distortion too. Did the cut speaker cone before Dave Davies, etc.

Own a great vid of later day LW playing a show and breaking a string. He has his roadie come out and change the string. While he still plays guitar!!! Knew a dude who played bass in his band and has a million equally great stories. He was all attitude. RIP Link Wray

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted November 21, 2005 09:51     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess I owe something to this guy every time i touch my guitar.

R.I.P.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 21, 2005 14:32     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RIP, the 'Crazy Fuckin' Injun' (his words).

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted November 22, 2005 19:39     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
RIP, the 'Crazy Fuckin' Injun' (his words).

Ah damn, you stole my post! From one crazy fukin injun to another: RIP bro.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan