my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Dead Kennedys shows

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dead Kennedys shows
IronGang84
VoivodFan
Member # 624

posted November 17, 2005 02:25     Profile for IronGang84   Email IronGang84     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Saw the "new" DK's play in Philly tonite, and they were f***in amazing! So what if jello isn't singing, the rest of the band is the same.. hey SNAKE - YOU'D LOVE IT! If they come up your way, don't miss it....
During "Holiday In Cambodia", I couldn't help but think back to the Dimension Hatross tour. Piggy playing East Bay Ray's guitar parts then was something special

--------------------

"we carry on"

|  IP: Logged
shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted November 17, 2005 06:22     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
saw them last year playing in Liverpool - great fun!

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 17, 2005 07:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who replace Jello? I always thought it was his band and he was the brainchild behind it.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 17, 2005 08:48     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Who replace Jello? I always thought it was his band and he was the brainchild behind it.

Me too. This cover band must be good, of course, since there are three of the "classic lineup" members on it, but if it weren't for Jello there wouldn't be a Dead Kennedys anyway, so I personally don't care. They came here a couple of years ago with Brandon Cruz on vocals, I had the chance to go but I didn't feel like. Like a friend of mine said at the time, "without Jello they're worthless as Dead Kennedys. They should form another band, and the DK integrity would be still intact".

But that's just my opinion, and I respect people (like IronGang84) who think otherwise.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted November 17, 2005 13:55     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love DK, but I wouldn't go out to see them if they did come for a show around here.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 17, 2005 19:17     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jello Biafra and the Melvins blow them away. they are what the DKs could have been...

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted November 18, 2005 00:33     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
Jello Biafra and the Melvins blow them away. they are what the DKs could have been...

Well put. Jello with The Melvins: that's a show I'd love to see! "Never Breathe What You Can't See" is one of 2004's most powerful releases IMHO.

Don't care about this bizarre incarnation of the DK's. Ray and Flouride were practically retired when they decided to sue Jello and then to cash in using the DK's name. Peligro, on the other hand, had his (bad) solo album released by Alternative Tentacles out of comradery (Jello was concerned about Peligro's heavy drug addiction. Can't believe he really liked the music). Then came the backstabbin'...

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 18, 2005 10:44     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Eddy:
Don't care about this bizarre incarnation of the DK's. Ray and Flouride were practically retired when they decided to sue Jello and then to cash in using the DK's name. Peligro, on the other hand, had his (bad) solo album released by Alternative Tentacles out of comradery (Jello was concerned about Peligro's heavy drug addiction. Can't believe he really liked the music). Then came the backstabbin'...

This makes me think of one thing: they're making their living out of live shows, just like a punk version of Creedence Clearwater Revival or something. They don't have the balls to release a new CD, with brand new mateiral. At the bottom of their hearts, they probably KNOW they don't have the necessary songwriting skills (even being good musicians).

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted November 18, 2005 14:30     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Too bad really. East Bay Ray's playing is awesome.
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted November 18, 2005 18:19     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:
At the bottom of their hearts, they probably KNOW they don't have the necessary songwriting skills (even being good musicians).

Biafra, on the other hand, has a string of great collaboration albums that started only 3 years after the DK's demise (the one with D.O.A) and continues to this day with the "Jelvins" thing. Some of the projects he's been associated with really blow me away, especially LARD.

quote:
Originally posted by guidon:
Too bad really. East Bay Ray's playing is awesome.

Indeed. And I just remembered that I own a 7" EP that he put out sometime in the 80's. Haven't listened to it in years! From what I recall, it was okay even if it featured only 2 songs.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 18, 2005 19:05     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved Lard, and I'm glad you brought them up. It's been a while since I've listened to them, so, I'll take it to work tomorrow... that should really annoy the old SOBs that I work with ... and what could be better than annoy someone you don't like in the first place with music you love

--------------------

yawn

Tim
VoivodFan
Member # 710

posted November 19, 2005 12:56     Profile for Tim   Email Tim     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to agree with the folks who think Jello is far better than the rest of the band. Don't get me wrong, Ray, Klaus and Darren are all killer musicians, but without Jello, they ain't the Dead Kennedys. As much as I love that band, I just couldn't bring myself to go and pay to see them without Jello singing. I did just pick up the new 25th anniversary version of Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables that comes with a dvd in it the other day and the dvd is pretty good, although they only talk to Ray and Klaus, it's still interesting to hear about the band at that time. There's also 6 live songs on it, and it's footage I've never seen before, taken from '78 and '80. Awesome stuff.

--------------------

Armed with swords and hash

Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 20, 2005 17:41     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the new version (by Jello/Melvins) of "Kali-Fornia Über Alles" is awesome.

--------------------

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted November 20, 2005 19:34     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
East Bay Ray is the Echoplex master.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 21, 2005 07:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
the new version (by Jello/Melvins) of "Kali-Fornia Über Alles" is awesome.

Disposable Heroes Of HipHopcracy covered this song on their one and only cd (then the lead guy became Spearhead) and it was a great fuckin version, very heavy.

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 21, 2005 17:34     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Disposable Heroes Of HipHopcracy covered this song on their one and only cd (then the lead guy became Spearhead) and it was a fuckin version, very heavy.

dude, check out the new version:

hilarious, scary, and tight as hell.
http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0ZQD4IMPJBEPS1X90UHRTTUHZN

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 21, 2005 19:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Cthon, downloaded it and jammin to it now...
very cool indeed... nice change of lyrics to fit the times

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan