my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Judas F00king Priest tonite, Biatches!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Judas F00king Priest tonite, Biatches!
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 18, 2005 18:09     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.mtscentre.ca/events/2005/051018/index.php?event_id=108

Row 16 on the fucking floor!

Gotta work at 6am tomorrow too!

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 18, 2005 18:28     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Strap on your old school.
Jacque Luminous
VoivodFan
Member # 621

posted October 18, 2005 20:28     Profile for Jacque Luminous   Email Jacque Luminous     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, I didn't know they were still on tour!
Saw them four months ago! Wanna see the set list?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 18, 2005 21:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HAVE FUN
BANG YOUR HEAD
BREAK OUT THE LEATHER
DELIVER THE GOODS

The Godfathers of Metal

--------------------

yawn

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted October 18, 2005 21:23     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
... Get on your knees and praaaaay!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted October 19, 2005 20:16     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Priest fucking kills!
I still say that Painkiller was a highlight...love that song.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

RIFLEFIST
VoivodFan
Member # 180

posted October 20, 2005 12:12     Profile for RIFLEFIST   Email RIFLEFIST     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm there on Sunday in Vancouver B.C. on the floor too! I have an extra floor ticket if anyone wants it. Ah YEAH! ANTHRAX TOOOOOO!!!!

604 826 1539

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 20, 2005 19:05     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YOU LUCKY FOOKERS

HAVE FUN
NOT THAT I REALLY NEED TO TELL YA

--------------------

yawn

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 21, 2005 11:23     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So on Tuesday (the 18th) I finally got to see Priest again, almost 14 years to the day I last saw them (Oct 24th, 1990). I was not disappointed.

About 6000 (according to both local papers) metalheads turned out at the new arena to see the Metal Gods with fellow recent-reuniters Anthrax. The place holds about 15,000 but the upper deck was curtained off. The rest was PACKED. Hardly an empty seat to be seen - even all the private boxes were full! The crowd was LOUD too, which is a tad unusual for us subdued prairie folk. I'm pretty sure I was one of the loudest, as I still can barely speak today. Signing along to every song by both bands at the top of yer lungs and screaming for more in between plays havoc on the vocal chords, that's fer sure!

Anthrax played an energetic set (too short for this fan and many others) filled with their '80's era stuff. This was my first time seeing them live and I thought they were great. Nice and tight, full of piss and vinegar, and just plain fun. Joey's voice ain't what it used to be, but he avoided the tough parts by lowering the key. Got a bit breathless at times, but sounded pretty darn good anyways. Frank Bello is a madman on stage!

The set list (pretty much in order):

Among The Living
Got The Time
Caught In A Mosh
Madhouse
Anti Social
Medusa (my personal fave of the set - an my fave 'thrax tune for many years)
Indians
N.F.L.
I Am The Law

Dan played PRS's all night. One had TMNT decals all over it, and he used that for most of the set. His lead tone was good, but you couldn't hear his rhythm at all. Their soundman wasn't on the ball. His lead would start and then a few notes in his volume would go up. Sloppy. Scott played Washburns all night, except for a sweet looking Dean ML. Looked like Korina with a confederate flag pattern on it (just the stars and the X in black outline). He switched guitars a few times. Not sure what Frank played, but he hammered the shit out of that thing and never stopped moving around or singing along. The band said Winnipeg was the best Canadian crowd on the tour and that he didn't need to lie about shit like that. Cool.

After Anthrax left it was time for a piss and a reefer (I haven't smoked the shit in like 7 years, but this was a special occasion ) Ran into a few buddies I hadn't seen in years and had a blast chatting, but we hurried back in so as not to miss...

...the best fucking Metal band on earth!

What can I say about a group that has been my favorite since I was 12? A band that is the reason I took up the guitar 22 years ago? A group that got me into music and basically canged my life? Fuck yeah. That's what I can say.

Priest stormed the stage with a presence not many performers have. They got fucking mojo. Big time. They command your attention from the get go. All the reviews on the web about the Priest will give you an idea of the show - how The Hellion/Electric Eye starts things with off and how Rob comes out of the big eye behind the drums, how they all rock together during Breakin The Law, the Harley during the encore of hell bent For Leather, all of it. It's part of what Priest do. Some may call it cliche, but they invented those cliches, so they can do them night after night and still get respect.

Rob was more involved with the crowd than most reviewers have said he was at the shows they attended. He fed off it and revelled in it. They whole band did. Big smiles on their faces all night. Sound was bang on and playing top notch. Kids, this is how professional musicians do it.

The set list:

The Hellion/Electric Eye
Metal Gods
Riding on the Wind
A Touch of Evil
Judas Rising
Revolution
Breaking the Law
I'm a Rocker
Diamonds and Rust
Worth Fighting For
Beyond the Realms of Death
Turbo Lover
Hellrider
Victim of Changes
Painkiller

Encore (with Harley of course) :
Hell Bent for Leather
Living after Midnight
You've Got Another Thing Coming

Fucking incredible. Tipton played Hamers all night. He had a couple of those strange star-things. They were all white with black bevels, hardware and truss rod cover, but one had black dot inlays and one had black rectangle inlays. I want one so bad - total fret access! He had a weird upside down Warrior thing too which I'd never seen before. All black. Big lower fin for balance just like his stars. Had a couple of different Phantoms or what ever those Strat-ish guitars are. Mirrored pickguards rule! His playing was amazing. His lead in Beyond The Realms Of Death was almost note for note to the album!
KK played ESP's. I think he's had ESP make guitars similar to his Hamers and Gibsons, coz I'm pretty sure they were all ESPs. All V's. All the fretboards scalloped. He has a very cool new black one. King V-like body with chrome hardware, chrome metal tips on the fins, a Gibson-style headstock and V shaped inlays. Wicked. Of course, he had some red ones (the pointy with the Priest cross headstock and the roundhorn with the white pickguard). He had another one. Couldn't really tell if it was a transparent finish or if it was gold in color. Same pickguard as the red roundhorn. Had white binding on the body and neck. Gibson V style headstock.

Here's a link to some great pics where you can see everybody's axes pretty clearly.
http://www.mtscentre.ca/press_releases/content.php?press_id=88

Sorry for going on, but it's the fucking Priest, man!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted October 21, 2005 11:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Killer review Nuclear VampireMan.
I would love to go to a Metal show with you!
The photos are fabulous.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 21, 2005 19:09     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
kick ass reveiw

sounds like you had the time of your life.. I'm jealous

Incredible photos thanks for the link

--------------------

yawn

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 21, 2005 22:36     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DUDE, great review! Lovin' all the guitar info. I too am a long-time Priest fan, dating back to around 1980. Saw them quite a few times in Cali between 80-83, including Heavy Metal Sunday at US 83. (which was probably the last time)

Your review was enough to put me on a search for tour dates, but sadly it appears they won't be hitting MN. Too bad, would have loved to have caught this tour. Anthrax is another band I've seen a few times, but not in several years -- not since the shows with Metal Church in the late 80s.

Oh yeah: hey, I know Ian Hill isn't much of a 'stage presence', but you HAVE to mention him at least once! I've always thought Ian was fucking cool as hell. And it's great that they still have Scott Travis on the skins, easily their best drummer since Les Binks. (or Simon Phillips, for that matter)

Thanks again, glad you had a blast, and killer review bro.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted October 25, 2005 02:39     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
great report NucVamp! thank you very much for the details

Damn I wanna see the Priest! I wanna hear the Metal God sing 'Victim Of Changes'!
(but why are they playing 'Worth Fighting For' and Living after Midnight? ... Saints in Hell! Delivering the Goods!)

I've seen Anthrax many times (last time was 2002) and they were always a blast, happy to be there and giving 110% of themselves. Frank has to be the most enthusiastic musician in the world, and Charlie is The Man.
*Medusa* - oh I'd fucking go nuts too!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 25, 2005 05:31     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dude! Worth Fighting For was one of the highlights of the set! Great tune, especially live. I was a bit disappointed that there was no Desert Plains or Solar Angels (which they had been playing earlier in the tour).
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 25, 2005 10:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Dude! Worth Fighting For was one of the highlights of the set! Great tune, especially live. I was a bit disappointed that there was no Desert Plains or Solar Angels (which they had been playing earlier in the tour).[/QUOTE
I think Point Of Entry was one of their most overlooked and under rated albums... it's one of my most listened to JP cds along with Sad Wings & Sin After Sin.

--------------------

yawn

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted October 25, 2005 11:10     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very cool! I just saw both Anthrax and Priest (separate shows) this summer and they were both great. I also had never seen Anthrax and you all know how I felt about that ("Giganthrax" thread).

But Priest is just one fucking amazing band! Saw them from S.F.V. through Turbo and it was just like old times seeing them again after all these years. They didn't play "Exciter" for you? That was the highlight for me. I'm glad to you got to see them

Also, found this cool link: Priest Info

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 25, 2005 11:33     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
Also, found this cool link: Priest Info

This is like the craziest, most complete, fansite ever.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan