my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » EOLB interview in Terrorizer

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EOLB interview in Terrorizer
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 14, 2005 13:20     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Top interview, guys!

The prize for the most amount of Piggy mentions goes to h. Good luck find a new drummer, or patching it up with your old one...

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 14, 2005 13:42     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
seriously awes., i want to read this. someone scan it please.
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted October 14, 2005 14:21     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's posted in the forum at EOLB.com

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 14, 2005 20:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
great article
thanks for pointing us to it Meg, since H and Nell are too damn humble when it comes to EOLB.

This isn't the other Voivod site, you won't get banned for promoting your own band here

BTW: I hope the new drummer has I high tolerance for beer to be able to hang with the rest of the band. Maybe that's why you're having a hard time finding a replacement

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 14, 2005 20:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey is this the same issue with the Piggy article??? I want this one bad...would gladly pay somebody for it if they could send me a copy. Takes so long for us to get it here at the bookstore I go to. Latest issue I've seen has Dragonforce on the cover, think its their power metal issue.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 14, 2005 23:33     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadMeg:
It's posted in the forum at EOLB.com

i must be getting old because the typeface of that scan is way too small for me to read. what does it say??

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted October 15, 2005 03:01     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Hey is this the same issue with the Piggy article??? I want this one bad...would gladly pay somebody for it if they could send me a copy. Takes so long for us to get it here at the bookstore I go to. Latest issue I've seen has Dragonforce on the cover, think its their power metal issue.

Yeah, I doubt we get it here for another month, unfortunately. The last issue I got was the September issue, and I bought it in September. I haven't seen the October issue around yet, and I bet we don't get the November issue until...um...November. Damn thing doesn't even cost $6.66 anymore, thanks to the reduced value of the dollar. I don't know why I even bother.

--------------------

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted October 15, 2005 03:32     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nia:
i must be getting old because the typeface of that scan is way too small for me to read. what does it say??

Voivod-inspired Worshippers of the Riff: End of Level Boss

“I don’t know if it’s just because I’m getting older, but life is a lot darker than it used to be. The planet seems to be going the wrong way and it pisses me off,” muses Harry Armstrong, vocalist/guitarist of London-based End of Level Boss.

Harry and fellow guitarist, Jim Ogawa were both in the now-defunct stoner-rock outfit Hangnail, but their latest musical incarnation is a rather astonishing about-face of style and substance. Their debut album, “Prologue” released on the German indie Exile On Mainstream, reveals a much moodier and challenging beast. Instead of their previous get-your-kicks-and-shake-your-booty groove, End of Level Boss thread their way through a decidedly bleaker musical terrain, traversing a technical and edgy expanse with sudden time changes, jazzy syncopated beats, flamboyant flourishes of prog sensibility and intricate chord layering.

“There are no ‘yeahs’ or ‘babys’ on this record,” answers bassist Elenajane, referring to Harry’s former bombastic lyrical style. “We’re a bit experimental, we want to do different things rather than the usual 4/4 average rock.”

Harry, who writes much of the band’s music and lyrics, seized the ongoing hiatus of his previous outfit as an opportunity to probe beyond stylistic confines of the stoner canon, and what first germinated as a side-project has now morphed into a serious full-time entity. Initially recruiting Elenajane after some prolific jamming sessions, he then worked on securing former bandmate Jim.

“Jim’s the icing on the cake in this band. I had to twist Jim’s arm until he heard the demos and then he was convinced,” Harry explains with a grin.

“But I actually wanted to play the bass and she beat me to it,” Jim responds in jest.

There’s a genuine sense of good-natured camaraderie between the three, as they enthusiastically drain the Guinness supply of the pub they’re sitting in, while discussing the essential essence of the riff. Even the fact that their drummer has recently amicably departed doesn’t faze their optimistic spirit. Since forming two years ago, EOLB have developed a strong reputation as a live act, supporting a diverse selection of bands such as The Hidden Hand and Budgie. With an ambitious European tour lined up in November, they’re confident they’ll move quickly past this temporary personnel obstacle in time to hit the road.

End of Level Boss are the fourth London band Harry and Jim have played in together, while Elenajane is a relative newcomer to the city’s band scene. She grew up in Newfoundland, an isolated province in Canada, more famous for moose and the only authenticated North American Viking archaeological find, than for innovative, exploratory metal bands. And although her dextrous riffage belies the fact, she began playing bass guitar only a few years ago.

“I trained sixteen-years-plus in classical piano at music school and it really put me off playing because it was so strict,” she explains. “So when I picked up the bass, there was much more freedom, it was fun. The technical aspect of what we are doing in End of Level Boss kinda reminds me of my classical training.”

All of them share a strong bond that converges on a few reference points. One needs only mention experimental thrashers Voivod or 70s-style guitar destroyers The Atomic Bitchwax, a band they opened for on their second ever live outing, and conversation effortlessly flows.

“Bitchwax, for all three of us, are one of our favorite bands,” enthuses Elenajane. “We only wish we could have had more practice when we played that gig.”

“When I heard their first record, I knew that there was nothing more that stoner rock could do. That is the ultimate stoner rock album,” says Harry.

“The best band of the last two decades,” Jim agrees. “But I always used to listen to Voivod as a teenager.”

“Voivod are such an underrated band, it is criminal,” Harry says indignantly. “Especially Piggy as a guitar player. He played those guitar structures differently than anybody else I’ve heard on the planet, except for people trying to rip him off, like me.” He breaks into a smile. “Before I die, I’d like to make an album that sounds somewhere between the first Atomic Bitchwax album and ‘Dimension Hatross,’ these two albums are so flawless.

“But there’s nothing we’ll shy away from in this band,” Harry concludes. “We just want to play riffs and make a noise. That – and to one day have our own action figures.”

Terrorizer Magazine
Interview by Marion Garden

(I know I probably shouldn't post the full article like that...oh well)

--------------------

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 15, 2005 07:25     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cheers helichopter and all.... yeah, it is the same issue as the Voivod article - which is cool for us!

We've found our new drummer. A guy called Ben Hallett. Awesome drummer - only problem is he's never heard of Voivod... that's about to change though!!

We're throwing him in at the deep end with a little European tour. Anyone nearby wants to come along and say hello to a fellow vvf, your more than welcome!

Sat 05.11. Zomergem (BEL) Toud Liefken (+DAREDIABLO)
Sun 06.11. Den Helder (NL) De Engel (+DAREDIABLO)
Mon 7.11. Osnabrueck (GER) Unicum (+DAREDIABLO)
Tue 08.11. Muenster (GER) Metro Club (+DAREDIABLO)
Wed 09.11. Jena (GER) Rosenkeller (+DAREDIABLO)
Thu 10.11. Schwerin (GER) Dr. K (+DAREDIABLO)
Fri 11.11. Bielefeld (GER) Eingang 7 (+DAREDIABLO)
Sat 12.11. Magdeburg (GER) Knast (+2LANE BLKTP)
Sun 13.11. Luebbenau (GER).
Mon 14.11. Munich (GER) Domagkgelaende, Haus 35 (+COLOUR HAZE)
Tue 15.11. Vienna (AUT) Arena
Wed 16.11. Linz (AUT) Stadtwerkstatt (+JACK FROST)
Fri 18.11. Leipzig (GER) Conne Island (+SHIT & SHINE+DOZER)
Sat 19.11. Cologne (GER) Sonic Ballroom (+SHIT & SHINE)
Sun 20.11. Berlin (GER) Bastard (+SHIT & SHINE+ 2LANE BLKTP+VOLT)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 15, 2005 07:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
are any of these shows within driving distace of Delaware?

Damn Europeans get all the cool bands playing live

have fun on the tour, drink 10 for me

--------------------

yawn

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted October 15, 2005 09:00     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great news!

Damn Germans get all the cool bands playing live...

quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Hey is this the same issue with the Piggy article??? I want this one bad...

Oh yeah I need this one too!
www.terrorizer.com
some other pretty interesting features: SUNN0))), GOJIRA, KHANATE, EARTH, CAPRICORNS...

Thanks a lot for the article!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan