my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » ANTHRAX's 'Classic' Lineup Reunion Generates Little Retail Heat

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ANTHRAX's 'Classic' Lineup Reunion Generates Little Retail Heat
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted September 28, 2005 13:50       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ANTHRAX's 'Classic' Lineup Reunion Generates Little Retail Heat - Sep. 28, 2005

The reunion of the "classic" ANTHRAX lineup of singer Joey Belladonna, guitarists Scott Ian and Dan Spitz, bassist Frank Bello and drummer Charlie Benante appears to be generating little heat in terms of retail sales. The band's most comprehensive "best of" collection ever issued, its first two-CD retrospective, "Anthrology: No Hit Wonders (1985-1991)", has shifted just over 2,700 copies in its first week of release, while the group's first video compilation, the DVD "Anthrology: No Hit Wonders (1985-1991) The Videos" (both on Island/UMe), has shifted less than 950 units in its initial week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Similarly, the band's live CD and DVD packages, "Alive 2 (2005)" (on Sanctuary Records), which document the group's summer 2005 reunion tour, have sold less than 1,100 and 1,700 copies, respectively.

The "Alive 2 (2005)" DVD captures the actual meeting in which the five members came together for the first time in over 10 years. Along with band rehearsals and behind-the-scenes footage, the DVD also spotlights 13 performances on the group’s triumphant reunion tour. The "Alive 2 (2005)" CD reprises the audio for 11 of those songs ("Madhouse" and "I'm the Man" are only on the DVD): "Among the Living", "Caught In A Mosh", "I Am The Law", "A.I.R.", "N.F.L.", "Deathrider", "Medusa", "In My World", "Indians", "Time" and "Be All, End All" — and adds "Antisocial". In a unique twist, the booklets from the DVD and CD releases form an exclusive poster.

As for the original recordings, "Anthrology: No Hit Wonders (1985-1991)" marks the first time that ANTHRAX's recordings are being released with newly remastered versions of their classic hits. It begins with the follow-up to ANTHRAX's 1984 "Fistful of Metal" debut, "Spreading the Disease", which appeared in 1985 and was re-released in 1986 when indie Megaforce pacted with Island. "Anthrology" includes "Madhouse", "A.I.R.", "Armed and Dangerous", "Lone Justice", "The Enemy", "Medusa" and "Gung-Ho", tracks that defined the band's take-no-prisoners speed metal style.

The DVD "Anthrology: No Hit Wonders (1985-1991) The Videos" spotlights live performances of "Armed and Dangerous", "Among the Living", "Caught In A Mosh" and "Metal Thrashing Mad". Also seen are videos for "Madhouse", "Indians", "I Am the Law", "Belly of the Beast", "Got the Time", "In My World", "I'm The Man" (U.S. version), "Who Cares Wins" and "Bring Tha Noize (with Public Enemy)".

IP: Logged
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted September 28, 2005 14:30     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Never been a fan myself, though, maybe I havn't given them a chance?

--------------------

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 28, 2005 15:37     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ne0rC:
Never been a fan myself, though, maybe I havn't given them a chance?

Me neither, kind of lost them after a fistfull of metal....

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted September 28, 2005 15:42     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like older Anthrax. Among the Living is their best, as far as I'm concerned.

As for the above, it'll probably be one of those things which sells a small amount steadily. It was never going to fly off the shelves.

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted September 28, 2005 15:52       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ne0rC ,your not a fan of Anthrax but you like Avenged Sevenfold????
Thats just god awful stuff.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 28, 2005 16:31     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Anthrax "reunion" was the most boneheaded idea ever... way to ruin your cred by bringing back your weakest singer.

Idiots.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted September 28, 2005 16:36     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was 16 when 'Among' came out and I wore out the cassette in my car stereo. I used to love it. I listened to it fairly recently during a workout and I had to stop it after shuffling through the tracks trying to find a song I liked. Weird how tastes change.
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted September 28, 2005 16:47       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah i feel that way about the old Anthrax stuff myself.I use to love it but now i can't listen to it.Same with the old Savatage stuff.I use to play Dungeons & Sirens all the time.Now i just don't care for it.
But i can't get enough of stuff like old Voivod or old Venom stuff.
Some stuff sounds better with time and some doesnt.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted September 28, 2005 17:19     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Bush-era stuff holds up better after decades, IMHO.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 28, 2005 18:37     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
The Bush-era stuff holds up better after decades, IMHO.

You're absolutely right. Aggression ages better than hawaian shorts.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted September 28, 2005 18:40     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
You're absolutely right. Aggression ages better than hawaian shorts.

exactly. dont get me wrong, i wore out
Among the Living and Spreading the Disease when i was 15-17 years old. i still love the old Anthrax, but the lyrics/vocals are weak in my eyes now. how many Stephen King stories can you "write" a song about on one album? Anthrax probably holds the record there.

--------------------

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted September 28, 2005 19:51       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Persistence of Time is still a good album.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted September 28, 2005 20:08     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LivingEvil:
Persistence of Time is still a good album.

thats probably the only Belladonna-era one that i appreciate more now than when i was a kid, id say.

--------------------

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 29, 2005 05:29     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh man why you all gotta ignore the little guy?

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 29, 2005 07:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still listen to and enjoy all the early THRAX albums but I do agree that the Bush era stands up better and is more timeless than the early catalog.

I'd like to see Spitz and Bush back in the band and release a new cd of new tunes. Stop living in the past. I haven't purchased the new releases yet, but I'm sure I will eventually when there's nothing else I need to buy. I've got everything they have released so far, no point in NOT having the new stuff.

--------------------

yawn

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted September 29, 2005 10:39     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LivingEvil:
Ne0rC ,your not a fan of Anthrax but you like Avenged Sevenfold????
Thats just god awful stuff.

It got recommended on the Dream Theater boards, new stuff is kinda Power-Metalish.

--------------------

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 29, 2005 18:20     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stop living in the past? take a look at your thousandfold CD collection and taste a bowl of shut the fuck up why don't you

(heh heh, sorry mate: pissed)

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted September 30, 2005 16:12     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Oh man why you all gotta ignore the little guy?

How the hell did the 'little guy' get into those pants?

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Eddie
VoivodFan
Member # 627

posted October 02, 2005 11:57     Profile for Eddie   Email Eddie     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love some Anthrax albums.

Fistful Of Metal, Among The Living and Persistance Of Time.

Jacque Luminous
VoivodFan
Member # 621

posted October 02, 2005 12:12     Profile for Jacque Luminous   Email Jacque Luminous     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The only thing I never liked about them was Belladonna! I saw them with the original singer (Turbin) and they were great! Same with Bush, who sounds like he mighta got screwed!
Jacque Luminous
VoivodFan
Member # 621

posted October 02, 2005 12:15     Profile for Jacque Luminous   Email Jacque Luminous     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
>Why did Anthrax all of a sudden put a pentagrams on their last CD?

I think it's more or less a joke. They have them on their amps and onstage shirts, too.
Poking fun at death metal, I assume...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 02, 2005 20:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those aren't really pentagrams, ok well kinda. When they had comic book GOD Alex Ross design the cover of WE'VE COME FOR YOU ALL and MUSIC OF MASS DESTRUCTION the band and the metal superhero on the cover has the emblem on his chest the has the big letter A breaking free from the pentagam (A is for ANTHRAX... bring the noize). Cool design actually, sorta like a combination of the anarchy and pentagram symbols.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan