my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Who plays Piggy chords? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Who plays Piggy chords?
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted September 13, 2005 03:38     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tommy Vetterli from Coroner

examples:
SHIFTER from last album Coroner
STATUS: STILL THINKING and GRIN (NAILS HURT) from Grin album

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 13, 2005 05:07     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe this is the reason that i love this band so much.

CORONER !!!!!!

We want a reunion.......

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted September 13, 2005 06:20     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jeff Loomis from Nevermore uses them quite a bit.
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted September 13, 2005 08:42     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
Maybe this is the reason that i love this band so much.

CORONER !!!!!!

We want a reunion.......

Yess! that would be nice..
oh well.
Red Harvest?? the last 2 albums were pretty awesome. Nice guitar sound.

--------------------

String em up

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted September 14, 2005 03:09     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you guys heard End of Level Boss?
http://www.eolb.com/

Diamanda
VoivodFan
Member # 604

posted September 14, 2005 03:34     Profile for Diamanda   Email Diamanda     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mille from Kreator plays also Piggy chords.....I hope I'm right

--------------------

It's too late
Korgull rules the earth!!!

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted September 14, 2005 03:37     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Robert Fripp
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted September 14, 2005 04:02     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nate Carson:

One of the guitar players even plays with a elektronic gun...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 14, 2005 07:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marco:
Robert Fripp

that's funny
I think Denis was Fripp's teacher.
Fripp is opening for Porcupine Tree on many of the dates for the upcoming tour in the US and Canada.

--------------------

yawn

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted September 14, 2005 09:56     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nate Carson:
http://www.eolb.com/

Also, Bob from Immolation...

--------------------

String em up

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted September 14, 2005 15:08     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Geordie from Killing Joke
Fripp

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 14, 2005 16:11     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:
Geordie from Killing Joke
Fripp

Forgive me for pointing out the bleedin' obvious, but is that statement not arse backwards? 'Listen to Larks Tongues In Aspic', or 'Whats This For...?', and it's Piggy guitar all the way through. Or Fripp/Geordie guitar, rather. I dunno.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 14, 2005 18:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sure the original post about Fripp having "piggy riffs" was a joke, that's why I continued it. Obviously Denis learned a lot from master Fripp, not the other way around.

If anyone has heard of SOULS AT ZERO previously known as WRATHCHILD AMERICA there are some heavy Voivod influences that run through their albums. Wrathchild America's 3-D album is certainly a direct result of VOIVOD overdose, mixed with the bands unique sound. Released in 1991 you can hear lots of piggy influence which isn't surprising, since most of the metalheads in the Baltimore area went apeshit over NOTHINGFACE and many of our bands learned a lot from from that album and Dimension Hatross. It opened minds, and broadened everyones odeas on what metal could be. Way ahead of it's time.

--------------------

yawn

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted September 14, 2005 19:14     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I'm sure the original post about Fripp having "piggy riffs" was a joke, that's why I continued it. Obviously Denis learned a lot from master Fripp, not the other way around.

You nearly got me here... Was I scared or what?

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted September 14, 2005 19:21     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Martyr have plenty of Piggy chords, no surprises there. Cryptopsy have used one or two. Enslaved do, but they also use Voivodian song structures as well. Mayhem use plenty of Piggy riffs these days.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted September 14, 2005 19:23     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i can hear Piggy in Cynic, Watchtower, and ALL. sometimes Dillenger Escape Plan.

there are a lot more eluding me right now...

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted September 14, 2005 21:23     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One song in particular that comes to mind is Slayer's "Read between the Lies" from South of Heaven...it's that distinct riff played during the chorus: "Save Me!"

Now "that's" a piggy chord!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted September 15, 2005 03:07     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I'm sure the original post about Fripp having "piggy riffs" was a joke, .

Obviously...

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted September 15, 2005 05:45     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:

Forgive me for pointing out the bleedin' obvious, but is that statement not arse backwards? 'Listen to Larks Tongues In Aspic', or 'Whats This For...?', and it's Piggy guitar all the way through. Or Fripp/Geordie guitar, rather. I dunno.

I never said that Piggy influenced Fripp or Geordie -your mind is arse backwards if you think I did- but they do play the type of chords that piggy also used, they are not only Piggy's chords but ones that he used. This thread is about chords that piggy used, I doubt he invented any new chords anyway because most of them are from classical or jazz. It's the way he played the chords together that's a bit different. Fripp was before them all, in rock, to use that style, especially on " RED". You quoted the wrong person too.

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted September 15, 2005 09:37     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it was a joke anyway.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted September 15, 2005 10:27     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I forgot to post it, but Lyckantropen has already mentioned Enslaved. Listen to Isa - it's pure Voivod worship.

Michael Akerfelt from Opeth uses alot of them too. Some Opeth riffs are very Voivod-esque.

There's a part in one of the new Arch Enemy tunes (Out For Blood)that's like a break between the verse and chorus and it's all Piggy chords. Everytime I play it (and that's quite often coz it's a killer album) it reminds me of the mighty Piggy.

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted September 15, 2005 12:28     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know we've discussed that before, but Die Kreuzen has to be mentioned too. In their early works they used a lot of "piggyesque" chords.
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted September 15, 2005 13:09     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought that one Foo Fighters song a few years back had a really Piggy-esque riff. And Snake was on the Probot-album so definitly influential.
reluctantking
VoivodFan
Member # 653

posted September 15, 2005 13:52     Profile for reluctantking   Email reluctantking     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
die kruezen for sure..Herman's chords were obviously a influence.
stephen egerton of All and Descendents has always used those kind of chords, especially on some of the earlier All material.
does anyone know about Pen Rollings, a Richmond Virginia guitarist? He played in bands like Honor Role, Butterglove, Breadwinner and Loincloth (with some Confessor people.) He is one of the greatest guitarists on earth and he also has used Piggy type chords, and I know that he loved Voi Vod a lot.

IronGang84
VoivodFan
Member # 624

posted September 15, 2005 14:42     Profile for IronGang84   Email IronGang84     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Michel from Treponem Pal - their 1st LP from 1989 is the closest thing to Piggy's guitar I've heard. Their 2nd & 3rd albums weren't as good.... Brian from Die Kreuzen... Jef from Sons Of Liberty

--------------------

"we carry on"

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan