my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » IRON MAIDEN Pelted With Eggs During OZZFEST; SHARON OSBOURNE Calls BRUCE DICKINSON A

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IRON MAIDEN Pelted With Eggs During OZZFEST; SHARON OSBOURNE Calls BRUCE DICKINSON A
Supercharged Ultimate LivingEvil
unregistered

posted August 21, 2005 09:35       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=40691

IRON MAIDEN Pelted With Eggs During OZZFEST; SHARON OSBOURNE Calls BRUCE DICKINSON A 'Prick' - Aug. 21, 2005

BLABBERMOUTH.NET has received a number of e-mails regarding last night's (August 20) Ozzfest concert in Devore (near San Bernardino), California, which reportedly included an on-stage appearance following IRON MAIDEN's set by Sharon Osbourne during which she called MAIDEN vocalist Bruce Dickinson a "prick." The following report was submitted by David Priest, editor-in-chief of On Track Magazine:

"Last night's [August 20] headlining performance of IRON MAIDEN at Ozzfest in San Bernardino, CA rendered some interesting, if not disturbing, results. Although MAIDEN played one hell of a show, they were under attack from the moment they began their set. From the time they hit the stage, they suffered power loss on at least three occasions and they were continuously pelted with ice, bottle caps, and eggs among other things. Vocalist Bruce Dickinson was even spit on by one attendee. He seemed to believe these occurrences were not by accident and insinuated that they had been planned from the beginning of the night [Download MP3 files of Bruce's on-stage rants at last night's Ozzfest: Bruce#1, Bruce#2]. He also encouraged the other audience members to break the arm of anyone that they saw throwing things their way. Upon concluding their performance the emcee for the evening began to chant Ozzy, Ozzy while Bruce was still speaking. Bruce retaliated by chanting MAIDEN. After he left the stage Sharon Osbourne took over the mic and informed the crowd that they absolutely loved IRON MAIDEN and their crew and stated that they were all wonderful but that their singer Bruce Dickinson was a prick and had disrespected Ozzfest since they began their stint with the touring summer festival [Download MP3 file of Sharon's anti-Bruce rant at this location]. This of course came as a shock to those of us in attendance and the there was ample confusion and speculation from audience members there after. As previously announced last night's show marked the final performance of IRON MAIDEN on this year's Ozzfest. VELVET REVOLVER will be taking over their slot on the last remaining dates."

Here are a few more eyewitness accounts, as submitted by BLABBERMOUTH.NET readers:

-------------------------------------------------

"Tonight was the last show of IRON MAIDEN's leg of the Ozzfest. Unfortunately the rest of the tour will have that spot filled by VELVET REVOLVER. There has been some sniping and such going on during this tour between Ozzy's camp and Bruce Dickinson, but that had been kept for the most part away from the fans it appears. So, IRON MAIDEN is playing a 55-minute set (though they've played full shows on the nights SABBATH cancelled on this tour because Ozzy can't to back to back nights.)

"MAIDEN is about to come on and right before a voice on the PA starts chanting 'Ozzy, Ozzy.' MAIDEN comes on and starts getting pelted with eggs from one area of the pit. Some dude has three dozen eggs. Bruce calls this out quickly. Next, during 'The Trooper', where Bruce waves a large British flag, some big dude painted red walks out from backstage with an American flag and on his back painted 'Don't f(#$ with Ozzy).' Tackled, he appeared off stage again. Then after Bruce declared 'You'll never hear MAIDEN on U.S. radio, MTV and certainly never see them in a reality show,' he says they will play 60 minutes, not 55. So, during two of their most popular songs (note: they are only playing songs from the first four albums, so 40,000 metalheads and idiots are going nuts), their PA and power goes off. Unbelievable, they handled it fine as almost if they expected it. They then do an encore and Bruce says something about the 'We the People' and nobody is going to stop them, not eggs, a guy spitting on them (until Bruce had him tossed) or a PA hoax and they play two more songs. Then they finish and are bowing and saying goodnight and the Ozzy voice comes on to chant, Bruce tries to change it to MAIDEN chant and then says, 'Are you as sick of this BS 'cause we are.' And they walk off.

"THEN: Sharon [Osbourne] comes on stage and asks for everyone’s attention and half ass praises and thanks IRON MAIDEN but say the singer Bruce is a prick and has been slagging the tour. 40,000 are stunned and start to boo and throw stuff, but most were stunned by the surreal moment. SABBATH then came out and did a good set like last year's with a much improved, yet hoarse, Ozzy. They started doing medleys thought, not good. But the rest, eesh."

"ROB ZOMBIE was cool, SHADOWS FALL and MUDVAYNE are better live than on CD, SLIPKNOT aren't really my kind of band but they put on an entertaining stage show...lots of strange shit going on.

"MAIDEN hit the stage to thundering applause, despite the fact that they are the ONLY mainstage band NOT to be introduced by some guy that comes on stage...and despite the fact that the idiot is screaming 'Ozzy... Ozzy... Ozzy' as MAIDEN's intro tape ('Doctor Doctor') is playing.

"Some prick is throwing eggs up on the stage. It doesn't occur to me till later, but this person HAD to be planted in the audience, because there is NO WAY any fan could have snuck in 36 fucking eggs. They patted us down so good, I felt like asking for a cigarette afterwards.

"Bruce is in fine rant form (got 5 or so tonight...LOL), and mentions how MAIDEN will never be on the radio, or MTV...or reality TV shows. He also mentions that they're supposed to do a shortened 55-minute set tonight, but just like someone sang that they can't drive 55, they can't PLAY 55....they're going to play their full show.

"Maybe 30 seconds or so before 'Phantom of the Opera' is to end, the PA cuts out. A minute or two later, it's back on an they go into 'Run to the Hills'. This happens again 2-3 times the rest of the night. Once near the end of 'Hallowed be thy Name', and the crowd is so into it, we all decide to help MAIDEN finish the song anyway. We sang the rest of it for them, as we could just barely hear their stage monitors going.

"In spite of all the problems with the planted egg thrower, the 'Ozzy... Ozzy...' asshole, and someone pulling the fucking PA plug, the band are on FIRE, and are determined to give us the best show possible. There was no big Eddie during the song IRON MAIDEN, just the walk-on Eddie. Is this how it was at the other Ozzfest shows?

"MAIDEN come back out for their encore, and Bruce says that the band is back out there for one reason, and one reason only...after all the bullshit...it for us...the fans. They put on a fucking killer encore, and the crowd was fucking totally into it.

"MAIDEN are on stage still, and taking their bows...and this cocksucker starts the 'Ozzy... Ozzy... Ozzy...' shit through the PA system again. Well, almost IMMEDIATELY, seemingly the entire crowd starts chanting 'MAIDEN... MAIDEN... MAIDEN...' over the guy... over and over... and we drowned that motherfucker out! Bruce was up there like an orchestra conductor, waving his arms as we chanted 'MAIDEN... MAIDEN!'

"The band aren't off the stage 10 seconds, when that cunt Sharon Osbourne comes out and tells us she needs us quiet just for a moment. She proceeds to tell us how they love IRON MAIDEN and think they're cool...but then says that Bruce Dickinson is a real prick, and has been disrespecting Ozzfest from day one. That's all I heard out of the bitch, 'cause we all immediately went back into 'MAIDEN... MAIDEN... MAIDEN!" and she was completely drowned out after that.

"I looked at my brother and said 'Let's get the fuck outta here,' and he nodded too. All the way out, we chanted 'MAIDEN... MAIDEN' ...and 'Bruce... Bruce...' ...and the crowd all along, chanted right with us.

"Walking out the gates, we quickly noticed that we were FAR from alone...as a large mass of people were leaving right with us. Common statements made by others were, 'Fucking bitch, Sharon...fuck her.' I think she overestimated her popularity...LOL. All she ended up doing was thinning out the crowd of a large LARGE number of MAIDEN fans. Good fucking riddance, too!

"It was best that we left anyway....since no band should ever go on after MAIDEN. I will never....NEVER spend another fucking cent on ANYTHING Ozzy does, unless he ever decides to stop being led around by the nose, by that fucking bitch, Sharon.

"All that being said....I'll repeat that in SPITE of all that went on, MAIDEN put on a great fucking show, with what they had to deal with...and the crowd returned the love...and then some."

"* IRON MAIDEN got pummeled with eggs on the opening of 'Murders In The Rue Morgue'

* Second song 'The Trooper', someone (looked like that douche 'Big Dave') on stage and mocked Bruce with an American flag.....

* MAIDEN's PA and amps were shut off four or five times during songs......

* Ozzfest apparently tried to cut MAIDEN's set length.....

* Someone sounding alot like that Dave person who introduced BLACK LABEL SOCIETY was chanting 'Ozzy, Ozzy...' ( a pre-recorded loop, maybe?) while MAIDEN were still on stage... Needless to say, the crowd is getting pissed by now.....

"Bruce was a total hero — a pro, said what he needed to say and MAIDEN still did their set and encore... Sharon then came out for what appeared to be damage control, thanking MAIDEN and the crew — and then said, 'but their singer Bruce Dickinson is a prick, he has insulted Ozzfest since he got here...' or something to that affect. The statement she made seemed to be condoning the poor treatment of MAIDEN.....

"I as a fan have gained MUCHO respect for Bruce Dickinson and lost respect for the Ozz Inc. camp."

"At the final night of their Ozzfest stint at Hyundai Pavillion in Devore, California, IRON MAIDEN were the victim of Sharon Osbourne's megalomania. Firstly, before they went on, Big Dave (or whatever they call the retarded streak of piss hanger-on who introduces Ozzy and BLACK LABEL SOCIETY for a living) tried to get an 'Ozzy' chant just before MAIDEN walked onstage. Then they had 35 eggs and bottles, which were 'planted' in the mosh pit just before showtime, which were then thrown at Bruce and the boys. Then when playing 'The Trooper' at the part when Bruce runs onstage dressed in military attire waving the British flag, 'Big Dave' ran on in a civil war outfit (kinda) and waving a huge U.S. flag. He had to be removed from the stage and then ran around the venue like a five-year-old schoolgirl. Next up was the fact that MAIDEN's sound was cut totally about five times mid-song and at crucial moments, complete power failure forcing them to abandon the songs.

"Bruce was noticeably pissed about this and made a comment about being a true rock band and not a reality show band. Then he let it be known that the power cuts were deliberate sabotage as were the eggs. As MAIDEN finished the set and were taking bows, 'Big Wad Dave' once again starts the 'Ozzy' chants, which the crowd drowned out with MAIDEN chants. Then to top it off, Sharon walks onstage and says, and I quote, 'Look, I really love IRON MAIDEN but I have to tell you their lead singer Bruce Dickinson is a prick.' The crowd went wild with booing and chants and Sharon continued, 'We have done so much for them, let me explain myself.' She was drowned out in a sea of boo's and left the stage.

"It was a debacle and embarrassing and the most unprofessional thing I have ever seen in my 20 years of going to rock shows. To actually of cut the power to the band and throw projectiles at the band in order to ruin their set was truly evil and dangerous and disrespectful to the thousands of fans who were there purely to MAIDEN. Sharon Osbourne is and evil cunt, I only hope she gets another batch of cancer after what she did tonight."

IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 21, 2005 10:21     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jeezuz fuggin Christ that Sharon is a cunt. It's totally obvious that she set this shit up. Someone needs to push her off a bridge.

Ozzy's a fucking moron anyways. Two-bit hack as far as I'm concerned. He rode on Sabbath's coat tails 'til they fired his retarded ass then he gets a band who writes more great music and he rides on theirs too. All the while Sharon is leading him around by his cock and getting rich soiling the good name of Metal with stunts like this and that fucking TV show.

Fuck all things Osbourne.

|  IP: Logged
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted August 21, 2005 13:43     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What the fuck!? That is about the most fucked up thing I have ever heard.

I've given them my money TWICE and I love Iron Maiden and I want my fucking money back!!! Holy fucking shit, that's such bullshit.

I'm sorry I missed Iron Maiden this time around, but I'm glad I didn't give them my money a third time.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 21, 2005 14:04     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is pretty amazing that it happened, But i kind of expected something to go down at one of the shows.

This summer at ozzfest Maiden blew the hell out of everyone, they jammed their set at Nissan pavilion flawless. I love Maiden and surely they are one of my earliest metal experiences but Bruce really just wont seem to shut the fuck up. This year in my area his rants got out of hand to a point where he reminded me of Phil from SuperJoint Ritual ! I ignored most of it because i was so overwhelmed at seeing my first Maiden show and they actually pre-date any favorite metal band i have had. My ears did perk up a bit when he instructed us to stop smoking the weed, he complained about smelling the stuff even up on stage... everyone booed even louder at that one.

Oh well... i cant believe this has happened but bruce has had a bad response from the audience in Cali last year also during their North American tour. Bruce pissed alot of people off here in washington area this summer and people were talking trash about him and Maiden most of the night, it went right over my head... at the time.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 21, 2005 14:16     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck that goddamn bastard Ozzy.

I have hated him since what he did to Kerslake & Daisy's Tracks on Blizzard Of Ozz.

Maiden can kick his ass any day.

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted August 21, 2005 14:26     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am so angry about this that I actually posted at the Ozzfest site. I noticed in the NEWS section there that nothing is mentioned of the incident:

hypergrrl's rant

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted August 21, 2005 14:41     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
what the hellll!!!!!!! damn metal all to hell. from now on i am a fan of kenny g and kenny g only!
btw, NYC is fuckin' outrageous!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 21, 2005 20:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that's a damn shame Maiden had to put up with that kind of shit on the last day of their Ozzfest stint. Fuck, the save the festival as far as I'm concerned by stepping up and playing an extended set when grandpa Ozzy was too weak to perform. It musta been tought for Ozzy seeing Maiden kick ass every night before he had to go on stage and know he could hold a candle to Dickinson and the boyz.

I give a lot of props to Ozzy and Sharon and Sabbath for what they have done for metal and the whole Ozzfest thing, but this is NOT the way to treat a veteran act like Maiden on the last show,,, no fuckin respect at all.

I received a dvd from Maiden's show that was shot for Sweedish TV this year and you would never know these guys are getting old. They have the same energy (and maybe more) than when I saw them back on the Somewhere In Time tour, all those years ago. Dickinson still has the voice and the energy to work a stadium full of rabid rivitheads for hours on end.

--------------------

yawn

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 21, 2005 21:19     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah yeah, the Swedish dvd... i havent seen that yet, but i saw the Rock Am Ring festival footage (from like, early june) and wow... Bruce never sounded this good! He totally pushed "Remember Tomorrow" to new heights. I liked the fact that they only played tracks from the first four albums this time around.

Oh ya, and fuck Ozzfest.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 22, 2005 00:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The TV footage in Sweeden is sweet ! ! ! They should make this an official release and give it the proper surround sound and add in some extras. Maiden is enjoying a huge revival and really showing these newer bands what longevity is all about. Yeah, they had a handfull of crap releases but with Bruce back on board their live show is back to what it should be.

It'll be cool to see and hear the next edion in the History dvd that should cover Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, 7th Son... and probably the other albums up until Bruce realized Maiden songs were going downhill and left the group. Still lots of great material and I'm sure lots of great documentary footage and classic concert footage to be seen from this period.

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 22, 2005 00:42     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shame! No matter what Sharon's beef w/Dickinson was, the ones she really burned were all the Maiden fans who were there that night. Unprofessional doesn't even began to describe it! Iron Maiden are nearly as crucial in the history and evolution of metal as Black Sabbath were and certainly don't deserve that kind of treatment. What a bitch.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted August 22, 2005 16:24     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's pretty normal to bring a dozen eggs to a gig. Surely everyone does this?
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 23, 2005 10:05     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What's the big deal? I've "tossed" a couple of eggs in my time as well. (or maybe it was "salads", I can't remember. )

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted August 23, 2005 17:22     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pathetic. When I heard that Maiden were doing material from the first four records only this year, I actually looked into road tripping. Thank goodness I didn't do it. I bet "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "Phantom of the Opera" were worth going through the other crap though.
I just wonder with the negativity at hand, will Maiden ever do a proper North American tour again? They have skipped the southeast US since Bruce was back. Maybe they can gain some momentum from the positive responses they got on this Ozzfest.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan