my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Pearl Jam was named the greatest American rock band of all time (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Pearl Jam was named the greatest American rock band of all time
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 15, 2005 09:37     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oooh! Can I have the head of schroeder?
I can pawn it off on ebay as patrick duffy...haha. Sorry, schroeder.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

|  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 15, 2005 11:09     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I guess I'm missing something when it comes to PET SOUNDS; but, aside from the legendary production on that album (at least thats what I've read... how great it was created in the studio) what is so great about a bunch of acapella surf tunes?

(...)

someone clue me in

[list]

• You can hear its HEAVY influence on Sgt. Pepper, which is confirmed by the Beatles themselves.

• "God Only Knows" is pointed as the best popular music of all time by Sir Macca himself, among others.

• Surf music it isn't, Brian actually showed the world he could do better than just surf music.

• A capella? No, there aren't any a capella songs in there, apart from a bonus track of them rehearsing at the studio, but that's it.

• Great vocals, inventive arrangements, beautiful songs.

• Legendary production, yes. Remember it was recorded in a 4-track. Just like Sgt. Pepper.

Well, bud, I think you should listen carefully to Pet Sounds again, without any prejudice. You may change your opinion.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

• Maldororz
    VoivodFan
    Member # 186

posted July 15, 2005 11:49     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:
    [list]
  • You can hear its HEAVY influence on Sgt. Pepper, which is confirmed by the Beatles themselves.

• "God Only Knows" is pointed as the best popular music of all time by Sir Macca himself, among others.

• Surf music it isn't, Brian actually showed the world he could do better than just surf music.

• A capella? No, there aren't any a capella songs in there, apart from a bonus track of them rehearsing at the studio, but that's it.

• Great vocals, inventive arrangements, beautiful songs.

• Legendary production, yes. Remember it was recorded in a 4-track. Just like Sgt. Pepper.

Well, bud, I think you should listen carefully to Pet Sounds again, without any prejudice. You may change your opinion.

• Well said. Call me a Beach Boys afficionado.
    And "Don't Worry Baby" may be the most beautiful pop song ever written.

You forgot to mention that the Beach Boys lyrics are smart, they're like little novels about teenage america.

schroeder
    VoivodFan
    Member # 5

posted July 15, 2005 21:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    I should have used the word HARMONIES instead of accapella, my mistake.

I know that album influenced many bands in so many different ways, from production to harmonies, to song writting. Hell, Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree site them as a huge influence. It does blow my mind that it was recorded with only 4 tracks... amazing.

Bottom line is I guess the Beach Boys are just not my "cup of tea". I can see now how it is genius, but still don't like it, personally. I have always been able to see (or hear) how something can be a huge influence, or give respect to someone, but still not like what they do.

Thanks for filling me in on the finer points of PET SOUNDS.

Hey LUNA, thanks for caring enough to want to auction off my head... don't take less than $5.00 + shipping... it's worth at least that much if it's made into ALPO

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
    This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan