my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Pearl Jam was named the greatest American rock band of all time (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Pearl Jam was named the greatest American rock band of all time
Huck Finn
VoivodFan
Member # 585

posted July 11, 2005 14:19     Profile for Huck Finn   Email Huck Finn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pearl Jam was named the greatest American rock band of all time in an informal poll conducted by USA Today music columnist Whitney Matheson. Matheson asked readers in her June 28th column to send her their choices, suggesting that influence, popularity, the group's live abilities, musicianship and longevity all count as factors.

The complete list of the top 20 greatest American rock bands, according to USA Today readers, is:
1. Pearl Jam
2. Aerosmith
3. Van Halen
4. The Eagles
5. Journey
6. Guns N' Roses
7. The Grateful Dead
8. Queensr˙che
9. The Doors
10. R.E.M.
11. The Allman Brothers Band and Fleetwood Mac (tie)
12. Metallica
13. Kiss
14. The Ramones
15. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band and Creedence Clearwater Revival (tie)
16. Dave Matthews Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd (tie)
17. The Beach Boys
18. Nirvana
19. The Replacements
20. Bon Jovi

Just who is reading USA Today after all?

--------------------

Here we go Steelers, here we go!

|  IP: Logged
Supercharged Ultimate LivingEvil
unregistered

posted July 11, 2005 14:40       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
dumb fucks
IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 11, 2005 15:10     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Huck Finn:
Just who is reading USA Today after all?

You have the answer right here:

quote:
1. Pearl Jam
2. Aerosmith
3. Van Halen
4. The Eagles
5. Journey

35 to 45 years old american white males who live in the suburb.

Btw, long time no see, Tom!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 11, 2005 15:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm going to be a minority on this one; but, I LOVE PEARL JAM... always have always will. I think they deserve the honors; but also, I'm sure they would be the first to say that they don't give a fuck. I'm actually surprised they were picked as #1 much less made the list. They haven't done many radio played songs in many many years and I thought they kinda faded from the masses. Vey strange list of groups from Journey to the Ramones. PJ certainly have had more longevity, output and influence than most of those acts... and they still put out great material and incredible perfomances, not to mention they put their fans first when it comes to tickets.

I'm done... go ahead and flame me

--------------------

yawn

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted July 11, 2005 15:41     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate the fucking Eagles.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 11, 2005 16:33     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On a side note, Queensr˙che made a surprising 8th place!

Anyway, this is a fine example of a rock list made by layman (laymen?). So, why bother?

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 11, 2005 16:48     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthony:

Far out, far FUCKING out...

Huck Finn
VoivodFan
Member # 585

posted July 11, 2005 17:41     Profile for Huck Finn   Email Huck Finn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
35 to 45 years old american white males who live in the suburb.

Btw, long time no see, Tom!

You too sir, been way too long.

How much does it suck that I am in this demographic, however my favorite American band is Slayer.

Funny to crank Reign in the MiniVan though.

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 12, 2005 08:43     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Hey, I think even Tom Araya himself is a soccer dad!

"You're right, Mal!"

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 12, 2005 12:12     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

I will agree with that one!
The fucking Eagles arent even a Rock band. They play COUNTRY Music damnitt!!!

Anyways...

The Ramones should have been at the top of that list.
I think they represent all things American the best.
Just my opinion.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 12, 2005 14:27     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
You too sir, been way too long.

How much does it suck that I am in this demographic, however my favorite American band is Slayer.

Whats up Huck???? I think I would freak out if a SUV drove by me cranking Slayer....hahahaha...............

Huck Finn
VoivodFan
Member # 585

posted July 12, 2005 14:46     Profile for Huck Finn   Email Huck Finn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The best is making my kids headbang. I hope to graduate them to a rolling mosh pit.

--------------------

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted July 12, 2005 16:39     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i read 'the post' and they say The Doors are the greatest american rock band on USA Todays list.

if that list was placed chronologically it would be more accurate.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 13, 2005 10:12     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Pet Sounds" alone should put the Beach Boys on top of any list of best US Rock bands.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 13, 2005 20:35     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:
"Pet Sounds" alone should put the Beach Boys on top of any list of best US Rock bands.

I guess I'm missing something when it comes to PET SOUNDS; but, aside from the legendary production on that album (at least thats what I've read... how great it was created in the studio) what is so great about a bunch of acapella surf tunes? I work at the beach and I don't own any Beach Boy records.

I still don't understand all the fuss over Radiohead's OK COMPUTER either. Again, supposed incredible production, but the songs bore the fuck out of me and his whining voice is enough to make me vomit. I've tried a dozen times to listen to that cd and I just can't understand why everyone raves about it.

someone clue me in

--------------------

yawn

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted July 13, 2005 20:46     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

I still don't understand all the fuss over Radiohead's OK COMPUTER either. Again, supposed incredible production, but the songs bore the fuck out of me and his whining voice is enough to make me vomit. I've tried a dozen times to listen to that cd and I just can't understand why everyone raves about it.

someone clue me in

Radiohead is an acquired taste I think. You either like them or you don't. And people that don't usually hate them lol.
Personally, I really like OK Computer - but I haven't listened to it in a long time. IMO their last album was better... but what would I know? I'm not the Rock n Roll media

Mr Yorke does have a tendency to whine tho, kind of like Billy Corgan in Smashing Pumpkins. I used to really like SP as a teenager... but the more material Corgan produced sang the more annoying his squeely goaty voice got.. and I just stopped listening.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted July 13, 2005 20:46     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is nice to see Queensryche beat Metallica

--------------------

String em up

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 14, 2005 10:29     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seeate:

Mr Yorke does have a tendency to whine tho, kind of like Billy Corgan in Smashing Pumpkins. I used to really like SP as a teenager... but the more material Corgan produced sang the more annoying his squeely goaty voice got.. and I just stopped listening.

The only reason i liked Smashing Pumpkins was because of the great Guitar work of James Iha.

Warcorpse makes a good point about Lynard Skynard though.
I cant think of anything more American than them. Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama, Gimme back my Bullets.
You cant get more American than some Redneck wanting his Bullets back so that he can shoot something.

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted July 14, 2005 11:47     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And no Creedence Clearwater Revival. They are, at the very least, better than say...the Eagles.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 14, 2005 12:04     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
And no Creedence Clearwater Revival. They are, at the very least, better than say...the Eagles.

Bunch of fucking amateurs.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 14, 2005 14:05     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Original Skynyrd rocks! Love those early albums!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted July 14, 2005 14:25     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Lynyrd Skynyrd rocks too! I can definitley do without Freebird....kind of in that Stairway to Heaven sort of way. How many fucking times have you heard these songs?!

As for Pearl Jam..... Can't stand that dude's voice You couldn't pay me to be tortured to sit through one of their shows or listen to one of their albums or.....Ewww, who brought up Pearl Jam anyway?!?!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted July 14, 2005 17:49     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Original Skynyrd rocks! Love those early albums!
X-D, holy shit!!!

Damn straight about Skynyrd "I'm a whiskey rock-a-roller, that's what I am / Women whiskey mountains travelin', is all I understand"

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 14, 2005 19:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love the REAL Skynyrd, great fuckin tunes. Influenced many many many bands. Often immitated never duplicated (not even by themselves).

Hypergrrl: I am the lone Pearl Jam fan here, I guess. I've been a huge fan since I heard TEN (long before it sold millions) and have enjoyed everything they have released since than and look forward to many more years of them putting out music.

--------------------

yawn

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 15, 2005 09:09     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OMG! Off with Schroeder's head!

-kidding.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan