my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Hawkwind

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hawkwind
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted July 05, 2005 03:09     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've read in the german Wikipedia version, that Voivod should remind of a modern variant of Hawkwind.

All I know about Hawkwind is that Lemmy played there a long time ago. Who knows more and can tell something about their albums; and if the Voivod comparison is right.

|  IP: Logged
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 05, 2005 06:18     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hawkwind doesn't sound very much like Voivod. The old albums (Lemmy-era) are more like straightforward rock with lots of spacy sound effects and a strong psychedelic touch.Best albums from this era are:
-Space Ritual (a live recording) (1973)
-Warriors On The Edge Of Time (1975)

Later on they moved towards smoother and more metallish sounds and in the nineties they began to incorporate ambient sounds in their music. Recommended albums:
-The Xenon Codex (198
-Alien 4 (1995)

Definitely worthwhile to check out.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted July 05, 2005 06:38     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Meads of Asphodel forced me at gunpoint to listen to Hawkwind. I quite like them.
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted July 05, 2005 07:09     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahh, Hawkwind and their fans

About 15 years ago me and a buddy drove down to a coastal town called Karlskrona. We went to a café on town square for a good cup of black.

Then he came, sat down on the third chair by our table. The ultimate Hawkwind fan listening to a Hawkwind tape on his Freestyle. He was terrified because he said that a flock of crowes had been after him all the way from Stockholm. That's a chase longer then 600 km. It all became even funnier when a flock of crowes flew over us and the poor guy took off head over heals screaming like a madman, which he most certainly was

That tape must have been from their psychedelic era, don't you think AR?

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted July 05, 2005 07:32     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
not really a comparison... it's the use of electronics on Phobos which may sound like a modern version of Hawkwind

Mit Einstieg des neuen Sängers und Bassisten Eric Forest schlug die Band eine neue Richtung ein, die man am treffendsten mit psychdelischem Industrial bezeichnen konnte. Dieser Richtung wurde mit dem 1997 erschienenen "Phobos" eindeutig die Krone aufgesetzt, welches durch bedrohliche Elektroniksounds an eine moderne Variante von Hawkwind erinnert.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voivod

Hawkwind's line-up has changed a thousand times over 35 years, the music too but it's still 'Space Rock'...
this site has a lot of information
hawkeye on hawkwind
(have a look on wikipedia too)

I'd recommend the classic albums from the early years, especially

In Search Of Space (1971)
Doremi Fasol Latido (1972)
Hall Of The Mountain Grill (1974)

then I also like these ones quite much:
Astounding Sounds Amazing Music (76), Quark Strangeness And Charm (77), PXR5 (79), Church Of Hawkwind (82 or 75?), Alien 4 (95)

and so many fantastic live recordings...
start with the classic

Space Ritual (Live 72)

The Text of Festival (70)
Space Ritual vol.2 (duh)
Greasy Truckers Party (72)
BBC Radio 1 live in concert (72)
the 1999 Party (Chicago 74 - absolutely amazing! I need more from that last tour with Lemmy)
California Brainstorm (92)

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 05, 2005 09:42     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am a long-time Hawkwind fan.

Still thinking about it and trying my hardest to figure out just how Hawkwind compares to Voivod.

I have 32 of theyre CD's in my collection.
They made what seems like hundreds more...i cant keep up! lol.

Favorites:

Psychedelic Warlords (Best Of). Its a great starting point to hear some early music.

Quark, Strangeness and Charm. My favorite CD with the song 'Hassan I Sahba.'

Tales from Atom Henge (The Robert Calvert years).

The Church of Hawkwind.

Hall of the Mountain Grill.

Warrior on the edge of Time.

Levitation.

Zones.

There are many Best Of CD's available that cover all theyre years.

druillet
VoivodFan
Member # 123

posted July 05, 2005 13:14     Profile for druillet   Email druillet     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hawkwind made a music which remember the sci fi novels of the 70's..or the mystic comics of Moebius.
voivod are the voice of this sci fi spirit,but with new ideas and violent stuff.
druillet 's comics.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted July 05, 2005 13:57     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is Lemmy really gay??????

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 05, 2005 15:18     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope.

quote:
MOTÖRHEAD Frontman LEMMY Is NOT Bisexual - July 3, 2005

A fake MOTÖRHEAD story has been making the rounds on the Internet purportedly quoting the group's mainman, Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister, as finally admitting that he is "bisexual." The article, which credited VH1.com as its original source, is believed to have originated in a May 20, 2005 posting to the band's official forum, but regained strength this past week when it was republished on several other sites, including a Dutch metal webzine, which quickly removed it from its pages after BLABBERMOUTH.NET informed it of the article's inauthenticity. However, this didn't stop the metal community from going into a state of shock about Lemmy's alleged sexual orientation, causing this site alone to receive countless e-mails from concerned fans who expressed their surprise over Lemmy's "revelation."

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted July 05, 2005 15:34     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just ordered the "Psychedelic Warlords Best Of". Hope it will be a starting point. Thanks for the infos.
Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted July 06, 2005 04:18     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have :

In Search of Space (lp)
Doremi Fasol Latido (lp)
Space Ritual (2cd)
Quark Strangeness and Charm (lp)
Live 1979 (lp) (or something like that, I don't remember the title)
Levitation (cd)

And some sort of cheap early years live archive cd, sounds horrible.
Levitation has Ginger Baker on drums... weird.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 06, 2005 09:16     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah. Ginger Baker was pretty cool on that Levitation CD.
Doing his own thing in his own style.

Unfortunately his ego got in the way and they had to get a new drummer.

BTW, there is a period of Hawkwind when they had Simon House on Violin.
Quark, Strangeness and Charm is one.
He added such an incredible dimension to theyre music.
He later left the band to go play for David Bowie.

Lemmy was fired from Hawkwind in 1975 i think.
They were on tour, entering Canada from the States, when Customs Officers found some "White powder substance" with Lemmy.
Canadian authorities refused entry for the whole band, and that leg of the tour was over.
As a result, David Brock (Founder of Hawkwind) fired him.

It was all ok though, because Lemmy returned to England where he started the band Bastard.
(Was it Bastard?)
It later became Motorhead.

I like the Hawkwind song (With Lemmy)...Motorhead.

Cheers!

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted July 07, 2005 02:55     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lemmy sang on Silver Machine, unless I'm mistaken.

There's a mp3 of that one on http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=732
Pretty impressive discography, too... 103 official releases

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

Korgul
VoivodFan
Member # 475

posted July 07, 2005 08:40     Profile for Korgul   Email Korgul     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't really see the relationship between VOIVOD and HAWKWIND.

Anyway I like both.
I would recommend these albums :

- In search of space
- Do Re mi fa ....
- Hall of the mountain grill
- Warriors of the edge of time (!!!!)
and last but not least :
- Space ritual (excellent)

If you like psyche rock from the 70's with some ambient stuffs check it !!!

--------------------

My sky is black today

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan