my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Pink Floyd at Live 8 (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Pink Floyd at Live 8
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 03, 2005 11:04     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did anyone see it?

As expected they only played some of their most well-known commercial stuff but they played it very well (Gilmour was great on his guitar!) and it was good to see all four of 'em together on stage again (if only for a short time).

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

|  IP: Logged
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted July 03, 2005 11:21     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, they were great! Watched it on tv. Would have been nice to get a ticket, but them & Velvet Revolver were the only bands there I wanted to see.
There was a lot of fuss over here about people re-selling the tickets for hundreds of pounds though.

--------------------

String em up

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted July 03, 2005 13:01     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Missed it man, will it be on again?

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 03, 2005 14:01     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Christ it was good! Hearing Waters and Gilmour singing harmony on 'Wish You Were Here' almost brought a tear to my eye.

Roger Waters smiling - who'd have thought that possible? But he's aged very well, more than can be said for the other three.

It would have been great if they'd have launched into Interstella Overdrive (with Syd wheeled out Hannible-like), but they only had a shortish slot.

It was wonderful to see. Very emotional for a Floyd fan of 26 years. (yes, I was a cool 5 year old)

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted July 03, 2005 14:48     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was impressed. They were easily the best act there. The Who weren't bad, either.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted July 03, 2005 15:01     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
It would have been great if they'd have launched into Interstella Overdrive (with Syd wheeled out Hannible-like)

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 03, 2005 15:50     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Only "Breathe" and "Money" made to the canadian broadcast. I did see the other two songs later on when i got the video online, tho. But anyways, most of what i seen was from Barrie, with sometimes a tune or two from London or whatever. Motley was alright. Deep Purple was old.
Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted July 03, 2005 16:31     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I found a bitorrent link if anyone wants to download the video.

Pink FLoyd Live8

'821MB of DVB broadcast. DVD ISO image.'

Taken from a
Pink Floyd Fan Messageboard

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 03, 2005 17:18     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
821 Mb? haha! That's crazy!

Here's a smaller version - 100 Mb (DivX)

Here.

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted July 03, 2005 17:24     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeh, wouldn't recommend the 821mb version if you have dial up lol

I'm gonna leave the download running while i'm at work. Will let you know if it's any good

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 03, 2005 17:36     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
But anyways, most of what i seen was from Barrie, with sometimes a tune or two from London or whatever.

i could hardly stand to watch the canadian broadcast. too much barenaked losers, simple plan and tragically hip for my taste.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 03, 2005 19:08     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xXniaXx:
i could hardly stand to watch the canadian broadcast. too much barenaked losers, simple plan and tragically hip for my taste.

Yup, CTV went pretty heavy on the Cancon stuff didnt they?

I did wholeheartedly enjoy Celine Dion getting BOOED TO ALL HELL, tho.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 03, 2005 22:36     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
I did wholeheartedly enjoy Celine Dion getting BOOED TO ALL HELL, tho.

i heard about that but unfortunately i missed it!! by the time the show was ending i was drunk in a bar and i could only tell who four of the approx. 50 people on stage were besides neil young and that dude from the tragically hip. gotta love the canadian star system.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted July 03, 2005 23:09     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tom Cochrane???

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 03, 2005 23:13     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Floyd were fucking incredible, for what I saw. Money was great.

I thought U2 were really good. The doves were gay, but they kicked the London bit off very well.

Fucking Madonna is trash. Her F-Bomb was totally inappropriate.

I really wanted to see The Cure and Duran Duran, but I didn't get to see them play.

The Hip fucking sucked! Gord's performance was even worse than the fucking Junos! Dan Akroyd's harmonica sounded awful too. Fucking disgrace.

DMC's trainwreck of Walk This Way was fucking painful to watch.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 04, 2005 10:50     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i was ready to leave work when I started changing channels on my friends XM radio he brings in to listen to the Oriole's baseball games, and was lucky enough to find the London show being broadcast. I tuned while the WHO were rockin out to their last 2 songs which were incredible. Than they interviewed Nick Mason and then the FLOYD came out and just blew my mind!!!!! I was in heaven, and woulda stayed another 12 hours at work just to hear that perfomance. AWESOME show!!!! It made my week.

I honestly never thought Gilmore would let this happen (dumb ass that he seems to be). It was great to hear them again the way they should be. Waters had a nice touching speech about how much he loved being on stage with the guys again, and of course dedicated WYWH to those who couldn't be there in person but more importantly to SID.

I need to look into this bit torrent thing just to get my eyes on that video. I'm dying to see what I heard.

music history was made

I hope this is the start of something new and Gilmore can leave the past difference where they belong... in the past.

--------------------

yawn

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 04, 2005 11:43     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got to see all three songs from here in Croatia.
I too...was in Pink Floyd heaven.
Karolina and I just sat here in silent amazement.
I was a little ticked that they didnt show more of the Keyboards.
All that we can hope for now is that they all had such a great time doing this...maybe they
can record one last Floyd album.

Then again...maybe Voivod can all get back together with Blacky to do one last album.
Ok...I know i am dreaming & its time to wake up. lol.

The Who were cool. Daltry can still do that scream part before the "Meet the new Boss..." part.

I liked hearing Paul singing the Beatles songs.
That was the same song list he did at the Superbowl Halftime show.
I thought his big black drummer was gonna have a heart attack. lol!

Got to see one Motley Crue song.
The one where Tommy plays the Keyboard.

All in all...it was a total night of Concerts on my TV here.
The old (1970's - 1990's) Yugoslavian rock band called White Button...got back together
for a reunion tour around here.
They have been selling out big Stadiums everywhere.
Well...they broadcast the Zagreb show (70,000 people) on TV & i got to see it before the Live 8 stuff.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 05, 2005 10:57     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Number 6:
All that we can hope for now is that they all had such a great time doing this...

Hm, Waters sure looked like he was having a great time. Gilmour, on the other hand, looked like he was having his right arm being torn apart.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted July 05, 2005 12:32     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly, Floyd played 4 songs: Breathe, Money, Comfortably Numb, and Wish You Were Here. I saw it all online. I was getting goose bumps just waiting for them to come on. Great moment in musical history. Waters voice wasn't as sharp as usual, but that could be because of the emotion. On stage, Waters looked as happy as could be, while Gilmour looked as if he was just tolerating the moment. But then again, Gilmour often has that "look".

There was one awesome moment when Waters took his first lead vocal on Comfortably Numb.....the camera caught a cool shot of Gilmour taking a quick look back at Mason right at that moment with a huge smile as if to say, "check it out! that's fucking Waters singing this part!". It was pretty cool.

Now the downer! I heard Gilmour in an interview afterward pretty much shooting down all hope for a Floyd reunion of any sort. My heart sank!

And by the way, The Who kicked major ass!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 05, 2005 16:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gilmore is a DICK!!!!

Love his music but his "i can't put the past behind me and play music with one of the most genius lyricist/player/singer on the planet (Waters of course) is just fuckin STUPID. PF has never been the same without Roger.
DUMB ASS FUCKHED

sorry that just pissed me off

I'm dying to "see" the performance but didn't have much luck with the bit torrent program... it wacked out my setting and had to delete the progam

--------------------

yawn

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted July 05, 2005 17:15     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Gilmore is a DICK!!!!

Love his music but his "i can't put the past behind me and play music with one of the most genius lyricist/player/singer on the planet (Waters of course) is just fuckin STUPID. PF has never been the same without Roger.
DUMB ASS FUCKHED

sorry that just pissed me off

I'm dying to "see" the performance but didn't have much luck with the bit torrent program... it wacked out my setting and had to delete the progam

You're obviously in the Waters camp as far as the whole bust up was concerned I guess
From what I've read, it was during the making of The Wall that things went awry with Waters threatening to 'withhold the "Wall's" release if Rick Wright didn't leave the band'(Rick liked his cocaine a bit too much apparently).
Which later on led to futher rifts amongst the band members.

I don't think Floyd's post Waters work or Waters solo career ever matched up to what they produced as a unit. It's a familiar tale in the history of most band break-ups I suppose.

All I know is that it was great to see them back on the same stage doing what they do best

It'd be fantastic if they did one final full length concert and documented it for the fans. But I very much doubt that will happen.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted July 05, 2005 17:35     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just to be clear, that camera shot was the one time Gilmour looked totally stoked to be on stage. I interpreted the look to mean, "Yeah, Waters is singing!". But that's just my interpretation.

Anyway, go here to download the footage in it's entirety.
http://music.channel.aol.com/live_8_concert/highlights

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted July 05, 2005 19:22     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh by the way, that huuuuge bitorrent download is worth the wait if you are a big fan. Excellent visual/audio quality and you get to see Waters grab Gilmour just after they finish to get the band together and give the crowd a wave. Nice stuff after so many years of bitterness

Gotta love those soaring Gilmour solos in Comfotably Numb too.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 05, 2005 22:18     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FUCK YEAH
that made my night MMM!!!! Now to see if it saved a file on my computer so I can keep it.

Thanks a million.

I know Waters was a major factor during the WALL and especially during The Final Cut for the band breaking up, but he's at least willing to move on and be friends again, it doesn't seem like Gilmore is man enough to do that however.

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 06, 2005 07:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i spent the last part of the evening recording the audio from a bunch of those videos AOL had up. Since i couldn't get an address for the files to download the video I just played them and recorded the audio with Total Recorder. There was a lot of bands that played but only a few worth recoding. I grabbed the Floyd, McCartney, the Who, and Deep Purple songs to make a cool collection of the LIVE 8 concerts.

thanks again for that link.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan