my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 20, 2005 01:47     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DO NOT MISS THIS FUCKING BAND, if they come to your area, just DON'T. I saw them last Sunday, and immediately have a new entry in my top 3 gigs ever. You have my personal guarantee that this show will blow your ever-fucking mind.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted June 20, 2005 02:40     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He, sounds interesting. Can you give me more info please? What kind of music, how intense, what do they look like? How many people in the band, do they smoke? Where they come from...

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Korgul
VoivodFan
Member # 475

posted June 20, 2005 07:25     Profile for Korgul   Email Korgul     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never had the chance to see this band live, but I have their Cd and this is truly amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One of the best band since ages !!!!!
Check by yourself you won't be disappointed !!!!!

--------------------

My sky is black today

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 20, 2005 09:41     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
sadly, these guys have played here a couple of times...but I've never seen them.
I'm dumb. D-U-B-M! Dubm.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Korgul
VoivodFan
Member # 475

posted June 20, 2005 10:45     Profile for Korgul   Email Korgul     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
sadly, these guys have played here a couple of times...but I've never seen them.
I'm dumb. D-U-B-M! Dubm.

Well next time don't miss them !!!

--------------------

My sky is black today

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted June 20, 2005 11:08     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
D-U-B-M! Dubm.

Yes, they've played here several times too.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 20, 2005 12:48     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
do they have a website then?

--------------------

String em up

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted June 20, 2005 13:01     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.sleepytimegorillamuseum.com

heard some tunes from them (mostly bootlegs from the bunglefever connection) but I never really got into it...
I've heard some great stuff from Carla Kihlstedt though, solo or with other bands

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 20, 2005 17:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
just downloaded their stuff from the multimedia section...

COOL - WEIRD - BIZZAARRE - STRANGE - HEAVY - GROOVY - DEMENTED... of course I like it

--------------------

yawn

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted June 20, 2005 18:02     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like Dillenger Escape Plan.

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 20, 2005 18:04     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
they are playing a show w/ some guys i kinda know in Altanta soon, i think. they play here about once a year, actually.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted June 20, 2005 20:09     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, yes.

But is the record as good as St. Anger?

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 20, 2005 23:26     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ne0rC:
Sounds like Dillenger Escape Plan.

Only vaguely similar. SGM are much more diverse & dynamic, less frenetically complex.

quote:
Originally posted by neutrino:
www.sleepytimegorillamuseum.com

heard some tunes from them (mostly bootlegs from the bunglefever connection) but I never really got into it...
I've heard some great stuff from Carla Kihlstedt though, solo or with other bands

I've listened to these guys for years, (since they were Idiot Flesh) but seeing them live gave a completely new perspective. This band is propogating all of the best elements of Progressive rock (especially of the Avant/ RIO variety) while fully incorporating the hardcore/ experimental/ death metal/ underground, as well as some twisted theatrical aspects.

This is a band of highly accomplished musicians and deeply creative (and demented) individuals. Many of the instruments they use were created and constructed by the bassist, Dan Rathbun. The sounds that emanate from these instruments are unparalleled. Completely alien and otherworldly, yet seamlessly incorporated into their overall sound. On top of all that, they are some of the coolest people I've met. Totally down to Earth, gracious and unassuming.

It's like King Crimson genetically cross-bred with Univers Zero & then mutated with chromosomes from the members of a roving carnival/ freakshow. I'm telling you, don't miss it.

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 20, 2005 23:54     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

These are from the 2003 NearFest. Left is Rathbun with the self-created 'Piano String Bass', which is like 8 feet long & often played with mallets or drumsticks. This thing has a fucking OMINOUS sound. (and a sliding pickup) On the right is Carla Kihlstedt -- who as Neutrino mentioned, has several other projects. She is classically trained and cool as FUCK.

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 21, 2005 09:01     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
Many of the instruments they use were created and constructed by the bassist, Dan Rathbun.

Reminds me of a band here in Québec called Plywood 3/4, who build guitars with olive oil cans, and make bassdrums with suitecases. There last album is pretty good, in a kind of Tom Waits/Zappa/french chanson/trash way. Plus it's a concept album about a guy building a girl in his garage while his wife is drinking in the house! (If Snake ever gets writer's block... )

Anyway, SGMuseum seems VERY interesting, might check this out...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 21, 2005 09:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for this Tango..I really liked the one tune I dl'ed. Gonna do some more today. Cthon, they're gonna be at Village Tavern in Mt. Pleasant on the 27th!! And Columbia on the 30th!! New Brookland..your old stomping grounds....I think I may be able to make the columbia show.

I love this: http://www.sleepytimegorillamuseum.com/photos/bus/deafchildren.jpg

And that's their tour bus....

Wow...'SLEEP IS WRONG'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 21, 2005 18:04     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that day of the columbia show is actually my first night of my vacation...but ive already got plans with friends out here in S'ville.... mt. pleasant show=doable.

get back w/ me, Mezzie. they are playing w/ Light Pupil Dilate at the Earl on the 1st, i think. those guys are fucking great. you should check them out on MySpace:
www.myspace.com/lightpupildilate i think(?)

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 21, 2005 19:28     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds good! I like what I've heard from their site. Wouldn't mind checking out some more of their stuff.
Like the artwork on the front page also, very Voivod!

--------------------

String em up

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 22, 2005 02:10     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah BTW, I should note that the 2 studio albums can be pretty tough to digest, at least at first. It definitely helps (as it does with most 'extremely unusual' bands) ...to see them live & get a feel for where they're coming from.

--------------------

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 22, 2005 07:25     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hope they come to the UK soon! All the dates listed on the site are in the US.

--------------------

String em up

Korgul
VoivodFan
Member # 475

posted June 22, 2005 07:56     Profile for Korgul   Email Korgul     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
I hope they come to the UK soon! All the dates listed on the site are in the US.

Yes I want them to play in Europe !!!!

--------------------

My sky is black today

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted June 22, 2005 15:22     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This band should be called
Sleepy Time Gorilla Takes A Dump

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 22, 2005 20:43     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorf:
This band should be called
Sleepy Time Gorilla Takes A Dump

Once again, your elusive wit and dense intellect are so monumentally obtuse as to be virtually insurmountable.

--------------------

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted June 23, 2005 12:33     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Once again, your elusive wit and dense intellect are so monumentally obtuse as to be virtually insurmountable.

From you, I'll take that as a compliment.

And to think people here ragged on me for liking St. Anger.

No accounting for taste, I guess.

You have a funny notion of what music is, Tang.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 23, 2005 13:27     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
that day of the columbia show is actually my first night of my vacation...but ive already got plans with friends out here in S'ville.... mt. pleasant show=doable.

get back w/ me, Mezzie. they are playing w/ Light Pupil Dilate at the Earl on the 1st, i think. those guys are fucking great. you should check them out on MySpace:
www.myspace.com/lightpupildilate i think(?)

Hey, that would rock man. I'll check on that date to see if I can get it off from work. Saw Mastodon at the Earl. Great little bar and club. Would be perfect for this band.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan