my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod in Metal Hammer Top10 stupid band member names

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voivod in Metal Hammer Top10 stupid band member names
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 08, 2005 17:51     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From this months Metal Hammer (NIN on cover):

Top Ten Ludicrously Monikered Metalheads

(includes Rachel Bolan, Kerry [girls name] King, Mortiss, Twiggy Ramirez...)

At #2!

"All Of Voivod

To have one band member with a ludicrous name is unlucky; to have a band with two ludicrous names is careless but when your entire group line up reads like a puppy litter, well, thats just plain fucking stupid. The classic Voivod line up included Piggy, Snake, Blcky, and most impressively, Away. Hello?"

(the small photo of the band has Jasonic in the line-up)

NB: Dead from Mayhem bame in at #1, seemingly for living up to his own name

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

|  IP: Logged
Supercharged Ultimate LivingEvil
unregistered

posted June 08, 2005 18:58       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doesnt mean they don't make some of the best music ever together.

IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 08, 2005 23:03     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Supercharged Ultimate LivingEvil:
Doesnt mean they don't make some of the best music ever together.

DAMN STRAIGHT.

Besides after the first few albums they began using their real names, and I think they went back to the nicknames on the self-titled cd for nostalgia sake. Hell, lets face it... it's easier for metal heads to remember names like Snake, Piggy, Blacky, & Away than it is to remember long french canadian names, especially when back in the mid to late 80's we were to high, drunk, or both to remember our own names!!!

--------------------

yawn

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted June 09, 2005 00:43     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
DAMN STRAIGHT.

Besides after the first few albums they began using their real names, and I think they went back to the nicknames on the self-titled cd for nostalgia sake. Hell, lets face it... it's easier for metal heads to remember names like Snake, Piggy, Blacky, & Away than it is to remember long french canadian names, especially when back in the mid to late 80's we were to high, drunk, or bath to remember our own names!!!

Exactly, I think that was the idea.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 09, 2005 09:25     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Beside, the name Denis D'amour is SO unmetal. I mean, Dennis O'Love? That's such a hippie name!*

*Come to think of it, Piggy IS a hippie! Oh well.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 09, 2005 10:22     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
H Yeah...Piggy.
At least the names are better than
Dee Snider...boooooo!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 09, 2005 15:21     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blacky:
Exactly, I think that was the idea.

HA! AS IF! i think you were just trying to avoid paying taxes. also, no offense to piggy but worst nickname ever. if my band gave me that nickname i would beat them with a stick.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 09, 2005 16:58     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey Blacky, did each one of you guys come up with your own names?

we've heard the stories behind "snake", just curious where the rest of you pulled your monikers from

obviously "Blacky" meaning dark, scary, etc... very metal. But Piggy & Away... can't figure out those

--------------------

yawn

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 09, 2005 21:27     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
aah come on, they're weren't as silly as Lawnmower Deth. Qualcast Mutilator, Schizo Rotary Sprintmaster, Mr Flymo...

--------------------

String em up

Supercharged Ultimate LivingEvil
unregistered

posted June 09, 2005 23:43       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard AWAY got his name because he was always late.Meaning he was always "Away".
PIGGY got his name because he was always Pigging the "Mary Jane".
I forget how Blacky got his name.?

I think the names are cool but it really has very little to do with the music.

IP: Logged
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 10, 2005 01:21     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard 2 different stories about how Away got his name, one that he never turned up to practice because he was always round his girlfriends's, the other because he was always daydreaming. Probably both anyway!

--------------------

String em up

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted June 10, 2005 03:40     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wasn't "Blacky" the name of Blacky's dog? Who is the dog, who is...?
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 10, 2005 09:44     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hypercube:

From Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

"Sallah: Please, what does it always mean, this... this "Junior"?
Professor Henry Jones: That's his name.
[points to himself]
Professor Henry Jones: Henry Jones...
[points to Indy]
Professor Henry Jones: ... Junior.
Indiana Jones: I like "Indiana."
Professor Henry Jones: We named the *dog* Indiana.
Marcus Brody: May we go home now, please?
Sallah: The dog? You are named after the dog?
Indiana Jones: I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog."

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted June 18, 2005 15:51     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hypercube:

Yes, that was the name of my german shepherd when I was 12, actually all of our nicknames were taken because they somewhat fit with us. I admit that after a while we thought they were silly but it was a little late then,

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 19, 2005 09:58     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like all the names and to hell with that fucker who made that list.

Voivod is one of the best names for a band that i have ever heard.

There is a part of Serbia that is next to Croatia here...
Its a district called VOJVODINA (Voy-vod-eena).
There are a lot of Croatians living there and was one of the conflict places durring the war.
I personally think that Croatia should attack Serbia and reclaim the right to the area of Vojvodina. lol.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 19, 2005 10:17     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Number 6:
Voivod is one of the best names for a band that i have ever heard.

Agreed! Although Piggy is the worst nickname ever.

--------------------

String em up

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted June 21, 2005 03:42     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck Metal Hammer. What's a magazine with a cheesy name like "Metal Hammer" doing pointing fingers?

I'm happy to announce I've never bought one issue of "Metal Hammer"...Sounds like a Spinal Tap album title.

I come back for one minute and I'm pissed off already.

Fuck 'em.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 21, 2005 08:53     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
Fuck Metal Hammer. What's a magazine with a cheesy name like "Metal Hammer" doing pointing fingers?

I'm happy to announce I've never bought one issue of "Metal Hammer"...Sounds like a Spinal Tap album title.

I come back for one minute and I'm pissed off already.

Fuck 'em.

Gee, you really nailed them!

(hahahoho, nailed them, get it? Metal HAMMER? NAILED? HAHAHAHAHA, HEHEHEHEHE, er, oh god.)

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 21, 2005 13:07     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hm, looks like someone needs to be replaced on the comedy show.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan