my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Gigantour (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Gigantour
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted May 16, 2005 22:16     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone gonna go?

Bands so far: Megadeth, Dream Theater, Fear Factory, Nevermore, Dillenger Escape Plan, and Symphony X.
http://www.gigantour.com/

Heard the tickets are gonna be cheap too, not as expensive as Ozzfest.

--------------------

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 16, 2005 23:27     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I want to go, but they don't have a date yet for Atlanta. I'd like to see Megadave, Dillinger, and Nevermore is awesome live. The others......
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 17, 2005 10:51     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fear Factory alone is worth the money spent. MegaDave said there was a possibility of Gigantour travelling thru the world. Hope this becomes reality, and, most of all, hope they come here.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 17, 2005 11:05     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know they're playing Montreal in early september. I dunno if i'll go. I dont wanna see Dream Theatre.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 17, 2005 12:51     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, like why is DT even on this tour? I guess to fulfill progwankerdreams...I'm not a huge fan of Nevermore but they put on a great show. Definitely check them. I'm really loving the new one from Dillinger so I'd like to see that especially on a big stage. I do have to say I found Rude Awakening incredibly boring...I mean, it looked so easy for Dave and his hired gun, just going through the motions...totally different from when I saw them on Clash of Titans which I believe was right after 'Rust in Peace' came out. They were a killing force then.
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted May 17, 2005 16:37     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Yeah, like why is DT even on this tour? I guess to fulfill progwankerdreams...I'm not a huge fan of Nevermore but they put on a great show. Definitely check them. I'm really loving the new one from Dillinger so I'd like to see that especially on a big stage. I do have to say I found Rude Awakening incredibly boring...I mean, it looked so easy for Dave and his hired gun, just going through the motions...totally different from when I saw them on Clash of Titans which I believe was right after 'Rust in Peace' came out. They were a killing force then.

Portnoy and Mustain are good friends.

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 17, 2005 20:52     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
fuck festivals.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Supercharged Ultimate LivingEvil
unregistered

posted May 18, 2005 00:16       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
with so many great "old school" thrash bands getting back together why didnt MegaDave ask any of those bands to tour with him.
It's just like Metallica when they toured with all these new crap bands and said fuck you to all the cool bands they started out with.
Someone with some brains and some money needs to get a classic thrash line up going.
How cool would it be to see Megadeth touring with Celtic Frost,Exciter,Voivod,Anthrax,Napalm Death,Raven or any of the other bands from the early 80's that are still putting out albums.

IP: Logged
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted May 18, 2005 00:46     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heard that Testament might be on too.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 18, 2005 10:05     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Supercharged Ultimate LivingEvil:
with so many great "old school" thrash bands getting back together why didnt MegaDave ask any of those bands to tour with him.
It's just like Metallica when they toured with all these new crap bands and said fuck you to all the cool bands they started out with.
Someone with some brains and some money needs to get a classic thrash line up going.
How cool would it be to see Megadeth touring with Celtic Frost,Exciter,Voivod,Anthrax,Napalm Death,Raven or any of the other bands from the early 80's that are still putting out albums.

Simply because it would not sell. Of course, for us thrash diehards it would be a wetdream come true but it wouldn't work financially. That music was underground and will always be so. Their best chance is to hitch a ride with some of the more accessible acts on tour.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 30, 2005 15:39     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wouldn't Porcupine Tree fit well here?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 30, 2005 19:08     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
funny you mentioned that Luna, because just the other day I posted a message on Dark Matter (a PT email forum) how I thought PT on Gigantour or even Ozzfest would greatly expand their audience and blow away people who have yet had the pleasure of Porcupine Tree's unique sound.

great minds think alike

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 30, 2005 21:31     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gigantour would have been the perfect place for them. Especially with Dream Theatre. And there's the fact they've just released a new disc. Makes sense...most importantly, I'd have the chance to see them live.

--------------------

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted June 30, 2005 21:33     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think PT are already on a headlining tour of their own.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 30, 2005 23:31     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
actually they just finished their North America mini headline tour and will be doing some festivals in Europe and then back to the staes in September - October for more shows.... looks like I'll be needing some religious holiday days off in a few months!!!!

the first festival is on my birthday this Sunday, and I'll be working... oh yeah, not to mention thousands and thousands of miles away from Holland boooooooo hisssssss
Jul 03 2005 HOLLAND, Weert: Bospop Festival (Headlining stage 2)
Jul 06 2005 NORWAY, Kristiansand: The Quart Festival
Jul 12 2005 USA, Detroit: Majestic Theatre
Jul 14 2005 CANADA, Quebec City: Festival D'Ete
Jul 20 2005 GREECE, Thessaloniki: Mylos Club
Jul 21 2005 GREECE, Athens: Lycabettus Theatre
Jul 23 2005 ITALY, Civitanova Marche (Ascoli): Arena, Barcaccia
Jul 24 2005 ITALY, Rome: Foro Italico Tennis Stadium
Jul 25 2005 ITALY, Turin: Colonie Sonore
Jul 31 2005 PORTUGAL: Vilar De Morous Festival

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 01, 2005 10:19     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Happy (early) schroeder Day!
apparently we have a slew of July bd's, mine included, coming up. And on that note, NP: Deadwing. Cheers!

--------------------

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted July 01, 2005 17:40     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm going to the Quebec City PT show with my dad and brother.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 01, 2005 18:14     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You rock, Heimdall.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 01, 2005 20:37     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
give us a full report on how the PT show was when you get back Heimdall

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 09, 2005 10:10     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just got a tour sampler with a copy of the latest DECIBEL. Man, I really wish I could have gotten down to see this tour. Even the Dream Theatre track rocks which suprised the shit out of me. Hopefully they're filming a dvd.

Has anyone seen the show yet?????

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 09, 2005 10:57     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The three bands I saw...Fear Factory, Dream Theatre, Megadave...all truly fucking kicked ass, Mez. I am completely sold on MegaDave now. I've never been a huge fan, and would admit to disliking them just outta complete, seemingly unfounded dislike of Dave Mustaine. However, that dOOd can shred on guitar. They somehow managed to make it feel like we were all crammed into a small club, with one ripping tune after another. Unbelievable. OMG! And Dream Theatre! Holy fucking hell, they just made it seem as if we were floating about in some experimental Charlie and the Chocolate Factory fantasy world. Super tight,super talented and their set sounded clean, clear and completely mindboggling.
And FF just rules in my mind. I don't think I'd ever be disappointed by seeing Burton on stage with his hot self. I love FF! Just wish they could have played a little longer, but DT played a very long set. Burton says we're the first stop he'd seen a pit...Oh, and another disappoinment, other than FF having the worst girly tees, would be that Dillinger Escape Plan didn't play. DOn't know what happened there. Sorry, but I missed Nevermore too.
All in all, I'd say this was a good sampling of diverse musical entities considering it being such a huge stadium type of thing.

--------------------

RIFLEFIST
VoivodFan
Member # 180

posted August 09, 2005 15:25     Profile for RIFLEFIST   Email RIFLEFIST     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm going in Vancouver and ANTHRAX is playing.AH YEAH!
Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted August 09, 2005 17:15     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I went to Gigantour in Atlanta (Gwinnett Arena) Friday night. I had a fantastic time. First of all, I need to remark on the venue. I would prefer a club setting of course, but if it has to be an arena this is the one to go to. It's kind of a small arena compared to the huge ones that NHL teams play in so you could see good and the sound was good. They even had a half-house setup where the stage was past the middle of the floor level giving almost a large theater feel.
After a pitcher of beer at Hooters and a handful of brews in my hotel (walking distance to the arena...YAHOO), I walked over to the Gwinnett arena. The proceedings had already began. I tried to time it to make Nevermore's set but was a little late. Probably a good thing because Dillinger was a sight. I would've swore that guitar player dropkicked the singer. I have got to see that outfit in a smaller building and playing a full set. Mez, I thought about you laughing like hell at that guitar player. He reminded me of that time Lovey Howell got ahold of those radioactive beets for any of you Gilligan fans out thee.
Fear Factory was a lot better than I had remembered them when I saw them open for Maiden some years ago. Burton C Bell doesn't sing as much as he used to. My wife was so taken by them she talked me into a $35 tshirt . Of course by them I was deep into Jack & cokes (this black headed woman was knocking my head out with these damn near full glasses of JD).
Dream Theater played a full ninety minutes of their "heavy" songs. I thought it was kick ass. When Labrie wants to, he doesn't have to sound like Steve Perry. I could've listened to them another hour.
When Megadeth came on, I had to be real particular about how I went down the steps in that place as to not bust my ass. But their set was pretty diversified and was cool but I just wouldve liked it had they played more RUST IN PEACE and SO FAR SO GOOD SO WHAT ("Set the World Afire" was the 2nd song).
A great time overrall and had a big lookout going on for the Georgia representative of this board.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 09, 2005 18:43     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice to see ya Layla's Dad, sounds like you had a fabulous time!!

I want to go to this also. Anthrax will be on it by the time they roll through Seattle, I wanna see the original line-up. A friend of mine is doing sound for them right now.

I saw Megadeth last year and they were better than I expected. I've never seen Dream Theatre so that'll be a plus too. Nevermore is from here so I expect nothing but their best. DEP will be cool for the first time too.

I just hope I can go now!!

--------------------

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted August 09, 2005 19:55     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuke Fuse:
Nice to see ya Layla's Dad

YES!! It's been a long time

quote:
Originally posted by Nuke Fuse:
I've never seen Dream Theatre so that'll be a plus too.

It says on the website that they are done after Toronto on September 3rd.

I'd like to see Anthrax.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan