my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » blind albums

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: blind albums
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted April 20, 2005 02:22     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From which band you buy new albums without hearing it before?

Voivod
NoMeansNo
E.S.T.
Sadus
Frusciante

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 20, 2005 02:39     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod
Celtic Frost
Coroner
meshuggah
Opeth
Slayer
Destruction
Kreator
Type O negative

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 20, 2005 06:51     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod
COC
Death Angel
Crowbar
Cathedral
Mastodon
Prong
Testament

That's some of the active ones that come to mind right now. If I had all the dough in the world the list would be a tad longer

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 20, 2005 07:40     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
porcupine tree
voivod
king crimson
pearl jam
death angel
coc
tori amos
tool
a perfect circle
fates warning
kevin moore (chroma key)
govt mule
adrian belew
black sabbath
blue oyster cult
california guitar trio
brad/satchel/shawn smith
cave in
clutch
deep purple
megadeth
overkill
kings x (and solo)
rush
satriani
hangnail/EOLB
tomahawk
pete townshend
fishbone
savatage
slayer
saxon

if these bands got back together:
mordred
pink floyd
faith no more
galactic cowboys
paw
trouble
24-7 spyz

i'm sure i forgot a few

--------------------

yawn

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted April 20, 2005 11:19     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I used to buy albums based on the t-shirts worn by the band on the sleeve. Found some classics, found some absolute shite too.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted April 20, 2005 11:33     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
I used to buy albums based on the t-shirts worn by the band on the sleeve. Found some classics, found some absolute shite too.

I bought a Dangerous Toys tape once cuz one of the guys had a DEATH shirt on. Bad mistake. God it sucked.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 20, 2005 12:36     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, good question. Yeah, back in the day it was all based on what I read in metal magazines. If I liked the band, it was really based on the article..you know, and if they had cool hair. Now, with the internet and downloads, I don't take any chances. I check the bastards out before buying. Even then, you can still get stuck.....(like I did with Cult of Luna and Mare)

Only exception to this was Canvas Solaris, I read about them in Metal Maniacs and found out they were from North Carolina(actually Georgia)and knew I had to have their stuff. I mean instrumental tech-metal from Georgia...this was a must buy, I ordered before even listening to their downloads page. So that was a purchase based on geographic proximity.

Have you ever bought something based solely on media hype???

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 20, 2005 16:14     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The last few albums I bought totally blind were
Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt
Korpklaani - Voice Of Wilderness
Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness

I had never heard a fucking note from any of those bands, but the recommendations came fast and furious, so I bought 'em. Haven't regretted a single one. They are all exceptionally good bands.

Most times, I can't wait for release date, and I'll download it, but I always end up buying it in the end.

There are some bands who could sell me a piece of dog shit and tell me it's their new album, and I would rush out and buy it without a second thought. Those bands are:

Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Voivod
Iced Earth
Darkane
Vehemence
Woods Of Ypres
Ensiferum
Moonsorrow
E-Force
Finntroll
Napalm Death
Amon Amarth
Cryptopsy
Opeth
Bad Religion
Children Of Bodom
Cradle Of Filth
Slayer
The Haunted
Dimmu Borgir
Bruce Dickinson
Arch Enemy
Death Angel
Kataklysm
Razor (hurry up, guys!)

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 20, 2005 16:33     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
There are some bands who could sell me a piece of dog shit and tell me it's their new album

And some of 'em actually do.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 20, 2005 17:28     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good topic!

Negated by the fact that we get another bunch of fucking lists!! Grrrrrrr

Ok lets join in heres a big old useless bunch of bands I think might make me look cool:

Foreignor
ABBA
ZZ Top
Abba
Extra Hot Sauce
Fisted Popecorpse
Fingersniffi
Gas Chamber
Holocaust Holiday
Spastic Jackoff
Fresh From The Cunt
The Man From W.A.N.K.L.E.

Now every one fuck off I'm having such a bad day.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 20, 2005 18:23     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i don't really like buying stuff blind. i have a couple of people i ask who listen to a ton of shit because they either review it or work in music in one way or another (and who's opinion i trust and agree with most of the time). and you can find most stuff on the net now so you can at least hear a few tracks before you lay out cash. i will buy 7"s blind though. i am pretty weak when it comes to vinyl, i must admit. anytime i go by a yard sale or into a crappy hole in the wall record store i cannot leave without going through whatever vinyl is there.
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted April 20, 2005 18:55       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dont really do that much anymore but i have bought E-Force,Project:Failing Flesh & High on Fire blind and was happy with every one of those.
Back in the 80's i bought almost everything blind.
Metallica
Voivod
Faith No More
Soundgarden
Slayer
Venom
Motorhead
C.O.C.
Agnostic front
Megadeth
Exciter
Metal Church

and on and on
but i wouldnt do that today unless it's a band with a really good track record with me,like Voivod,Prong or The Accused.

IP: Logged
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 20, 2005 19:41     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:

The Man From W.A.N.K.L.E.

haha! funny band name.

Anything I can "do" to cheer you up?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 20, 2005 20:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
stevie wonder
ronnie milsap
ray charles
jose felesiano
blind melon
third eye blind

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 21, 2005 03:04     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is no Metallica in these lists
But that is certainly a band you need to hear 15 times before buying

--------------------

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted April 21, 2005 06:30     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dimension Hatross back in the late 80s

I bought it because I thought the artwork was weird... in a cool way. And reading song names I just had to hear what a song like Macrosolutions to Megaproblems could possibly sound like

Hands down the best 'blind' album I ever bought.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 21, 2005 07:38     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted April 21, 2005 08:48     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seeate:
Hands down the best 'blind' album I ever bought.

Hands down the best 'ever' album I ever bought!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 21, 2005 08:54     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Sorry couldn't resist. I'm out!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 21, 2005 10:21     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
que Mal!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted April 22, 2005 00:49     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Of course, being the curious person I am, I will listen to them first if I can, but it's not mandatory:

Motörhead
Reverend Horton Heat
Ratos de Porão
Morbid Angel (only if Dave records it, Heretic was a letdown)
Judas Priest
Slayer
Cannibal Corpse
Mastodon
Candlemass
Mayhem (with Attila, more gregorian chants I hope )
The new Lemmy solo album
Madredeus
Napalm Death
Opeth

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 22, 2005 23:32     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Almost, but not solely on media hype, the band hyped it too, it was the Voivod ST, but I got it from the used bin. oops

Hahahhaaaaaa!!! Wish I'd waited a few days to buy the fucker. I'd never seen so many copies of the same album in the 2nd hand shop at one time.

I bought Entombed's Left Hand Path when it came out just because I liked the pretty artwork. Best "blind" purchase I made, it's still a favourite of mine. & Dan Seagrave is still a favourite artist.

--------------------

String em up

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan