my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Die Kreuzen - Voivod's harbringer?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Die Kreuzen - Voivod's harbringer?
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted April 15, 2005 03:19     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Since two days I listen to "October File". The CD contains two albums from 1984 and 1986.

My first contact with "Die Kreuzen" was the cover version from "Man In The Trees" by Voivod. My second contact was the cover version of "I'm Tired" by Napalm Death. Barney said about "Die Kreuzen": This band is to Hardcore, what Voivod are to Metal. What do I need more to be interested in this band?

The first track on the CD is "Man In The Trees". I was totally surprised. The Voivod cover is a really good new Voivod tune, as we all know. I thought Voivod had given the track the Voivod vibe, 'cause he sounds so Voivod. But that's not the way. The original sounds totally Voivod too.

While listening to the other songs from "Die Kreuzen" my feelings changed from - cool, they sound like Voivod - to - I'm shocked, Voivod sounds like them. So much reminds me on Klling Technology, Dimenson Hatröss and Angel Rat. It's the singing, the bass play, the dissonant chords, the freakness, the warmth... even the artwork:

I always thought, Voivod were unique in their time, but after listening to "Die Kreuzen" I have other feelings.

|  IP: Logged
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted April 15, 2005 05:28     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here is an article, where is said Voivod had copied "Die Kreuzen" with Killing Technology and that Piggy had used the same noise-chording: Article.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 15, 2005 06:40     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Who's god, who's dog" eh?

I don't care if Piggy copied this or that, I still love his playing style(s). That said, I think it's kind of cool to find out more about his influences and roots!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 15, 2005 09:13     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was very interesting. I sure didn't know they were from Wisconsin. I don't think there was any chance of copying going on....I want to check these guys out now.
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted April 15, 2005 09:53     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I try to upload some mp3s. This will take some time I think, because I'm doing this for the first time and I'm still waiting for my domain...
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted April 15, 2005 11:40     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interesting article, and great quote from Barney!

Brutal Truth did a great cover of 'Rumors' (but I didn't try to find out who wrote that song at the time...)
I heard these albums (October File, 1986 + Die Kreuzen, 1984) only recently, and I like them quite much!

Certainly a big influence on Voivod, but... copying? this is highly exaggerated

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted April 16, 2005 03:22     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is my first try to upload mp3s. I pray it works.

Here is the link to my webspace: some Die Kreuzen mp3s

Click "MediaCenter starten" and then you'll see. I hope so.

I have not upload the whole albums, just some tracks to get to know. So if it works, you can hear from

October File (1986):
"Man In The Trees" (The Orignial)
"Imagine A Light" (Killing Technology Style)
"Melt" (Killing Technology Style)
"Hide And Seek" (little bit Angel Rat and listen to the singing!)

Die Kreuzen (1984):
"In School" (Killing Tech)
"No Name" (Killing Tech)
"I'm Tired" (song covered by Napalm Death)
"All White" (bass reminds me of Angel Rat's Freedom)
"Dirt And Decay" (RRRÖÖÖAAARRRish)

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted April 16, 2005 04:11     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there was any copying going on. I just discovered for myself, that there was a band in the eighties, which had the same musical spirit as Voivod and it must/could have been a more or less reciprocal? influence.
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted April 16, 2005 05:00     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kerrang #186 1988

Are there any new bands jumping on the VoiVod bandwagon?
Away: "Well some people say that this band called Die Kreuzen from the US sound a lot like us. It's hard for me to say though, because I like 'em!"

Creem #11 THRASH METAL by Mike Gitter

Influenced by Motorhead initially and later by punk bands such as the Sex Pistols, GBH and Die Kreuzen, the sound of Voivod isn't easily pigeonholed. Away even goes so far as to count industrial outfits such as Germany's premier crash-and- burn notables Einsturzende Neubauten and New York's Swans as influences. "We've always been somewhat different and have always listened to many different things," says Away. "I guess you could even call us a punk/metal band." While standard black metallists scream and rage praises to Beelzebub, Voivod concern themselves with the potential hells on Earth.

Brandon Werry August 1987

...Now my hair is totally aflame, since this third outing by VoiVod
reaches white heat temperature and scorches past the skin, leaving hot
bones pleased. Killing Technology reminds me a lot of Die Kreuzen.
I never figured a speed-metal band would do this. By combining the heaviness
and power of metal with the speed and rawness of hardcore (crossing over,
so to speak), then introducing a new element that is beyond the crossover,
VoiVod hints that this could just be the tip of the iceberg of powerful
sound to come. Insanity runs amok ar VoiVod charges with an energetic
crack that keeps the whip flinging through seven wacked-out tracks that
proved lengthy but effective. A distorted guitar twang is lit up by a fine
production that showcases speedy licks and strumming madness backed by smashing
drum beats and vocals that are less gruff than those on the two previous
releases. These various attributes come together wildly and work that much
better. VoiVod could get a lot of recognition with this release; it's their
strongest yet, especially the title track, which grabs your attention with
its unique guitar sound and style. The gang's all here, and this is still
on the turntable. Thumbs up for this VoiVod slab. On Noise International.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 16, 2005 10:54     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i saw die kreuzen live many many times (they were my favourite band for a while in the 80s) and i think the comparison is a bit of a stretch. just my opinion.

but i do agree with what hex said about the nod. at any given time you'll get a cluster of bands that are using similar guitar riffs or rhythms and are structuring their songs with an obvious influence from one to the other.

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted April 16, 2005 13:16     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll second that, mademoiselle!!! and mister X.

We meet the guys a few times, we listened to their initial albums a lots, but like any other bands that we liked at the time, they certainly had a certain influence but that's not where our sound came from, that came from us, uniquely. Piggy always played like that, he sort of fell in it went he was a kid.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 16, 2005 15:26     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree, the key word is 'influence' not 'imitation'. I was into both bands back then, and certainly never felt that one was ripping the other.

Blacky, your AV is the fucking bomb.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 16, 2005 16:11     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is pretty damn cool. Although at first glance I thought it was Bertie Bassett, with a liquorice allsort head

--------------------

String em up

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted April 19, 2005 02:00     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well said, warcorpse.

Has anyone downloaded some of my mp3s? Just want to know, if it has worked.

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted April 19, 2005 03:11     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hypercube:
Well said, warcorpse.

Has anyone downloaded some of my mp3s? Just want to know, if it has worked.

Yes, for me it has worked, thanks.

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted April 23, 2005 18:01     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have/like October File, I actually hear a lot of Killing Joke in this (Revelations, Fire Dances, What's This for, S/T album, Nighttime...) Also, Scratch Acid (pre-Jesus Lizard David Yow/Jesus Lizard bassist and drummers' band) had some very Die Kreuzen/Voivod-ish sounds, and Scratch Acid just sounded like the Birthday Party anyway...then there are the Live Skull albums "Bringing Home the Bait" and "Cloud One" and their s/t EP which also have some similar sounds...

BUT SERIOUSLY,
if you like that sound and any of the above bands, you've got to check out Drive Like Jehu's S/T album and "Yank Crime"...highly recommended and influential
Also check out MX-80 Sound which sounded a lot like Die Kreuzen but came out in 1977, were originally from Indiana, Die Kreuzen in Wisconsin probably heard a lot of MX-80
OH YEAH
also
Christian Death's "Only Theatre of Pain," a lot of Die Kreuzen sounds a lot like this excellent Christian Death album (didn't someone in Voivod like this album?)

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted May 11, 2005 14:36     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes I did like Christian Death but that wasn't metal at all, more goth, their sound on album has never been that great, but very unique. During those years there is one band that came out very strong for me, Bevis Front, every single album up to "new river head" are excellents, Bevis is an amazing guitarist, not a wanker, even if sometime he goes on for ever, he is very unique an totally original, his style and sound is like Hendrix, I think. I also play every single instrument on most of those recording.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan