my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Your metal history...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your metal history...
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 11, 2005 16:22     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So Blabbermouth is a guilty pleasure for me, and sometimes I even read user comments (why, I have no idea), anyway this article sparked a lot of funny replies that have ended up reading like an AA meeting for metalaholics.

Report: Aging Heavy Metal Fans Refuse To Give Up

So what's your story?

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 11, 2005 17:12     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I read that too, you know. I am an old heavy metal bastard myself!!

Here i go:

first single: Osmond brothers: Crazy horses.
first album: Destroyer by KISS

Following 15 albums : KISS,KISS,KISS

1982: Kill em All by Metallica.

then, Anthrax, Celtic Frost, Destruction, Slayer, Sodom, Voivod (offcourse), Bathory, VENOM, ending up seeing them All live, buying all their records.

Now buying: Meshuggah, Opeth, Still Slayer and Voivod

By the way X-D, watch your mailbox! It will have some goodies back for you.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 11, 2005 19:07     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the comments are high-larious!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 11, 2005 19:34     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
By the way X-D, watch your mailbox! It will have some goodies back for you.

Thanks for the note Paul! ...drooling...

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 12, 2005 00:04     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am proud to be a 35 y/o Metal Head. Fucking damn proud. I love Metal music and I always will. When I was 12 I first heard Judas Priest's Electric Eye and ever since then I've been hooked. After that it was Sabbath, Ozzy, Maiden, etc. Then I heard Venom, Metallica, Slayer and Voivod and Thrash was the thing. In the last 6 years or so Black, Death, Viking and Folk Metal have really caught my ear. Music is more that just an interest of mine, it's a fucking obsession. It's practically all I think about and I devote all my time to it (when I have time - my kid has to come first)
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted April 12, 2005 03:39     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
19 Year old metal head. All my friends are listening to emo/indie/garbage. Really hard to find people with similar tastes in music, even in the home of Thrash.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 12, 2005 08:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
39 year young metal maniac who (believe it or not) was first turned on to metal by MTV after seeing Iron Maiden 'Wrathchild" video and a Judas Priest video.

I was listening to Deep Purple, Kansas, Kiss, Yes, Led Zep, Sabbath, and a bunch of new wave crap, before the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal came out. My very first record I bought was Ohio Players "Love Rollercoaster" when I was in 5th grade, because it was #1 on the chart ! ! !

I became obsessed with collecting Maiden and had fucking EVERYTHING they released including the Soundhouse Tapes (an original copy and a couple cool boot versions. I would also have the 12", 7", 12"pic disc, 7" pic disc, etc of the same single that got released... it was insane, I lived and breathed for Maiden. I have since sold most of the vinyl collection, and it was a damn good investment even when Maiden wasn't huge the items still sold well and help my wife and I through a tough financial time. Of course I wish I had the vinyl now, especially since I'm divorced

Anyway, I was into all types of metal back in the day. From the NWOBHM which was a great time to be a metalhead, then Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Mercyful Fate (ended up selling my original Nuns Have No Fun on Ebay for $175.00), Voivod, Death Angel, you name it I loved it.

That emergered in prog metal and grunge and I still enjoy listening to all these styles, althought some bands I used to listen to, now seem kinda stupid and corny in retrospect.

so that the Readers Digest version of my musical upbringing.
My collection of 6300+ cds (I stopped counting when I realized I had a big problem)features huge amounts of King Crimson, Voivod, Porcupine Tree, Pearl Jam, Deep Purple, Overkill, Queen, Yes,Slayer, Satriani, Cave In, Thin Lizzy, Townshend, Sabbath, BOC, Budgie ... the list goes on and on

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 12, 2005 10:35     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
My collection of 6300+ cds (I stopped counting when I realized I had a big problem)

Ok, so when did this happen? Was it when you reached the 2000 marker? 2500? Oh wait, 4200?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 12, 2005 15:28     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh my god, i have only 200+ cd's but over 10% is Voivov or what ever the fuck this band is called....

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted April 12, 2005 17:14     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm 32 now, my first contact with metal was in 84. I also saw a Priest video (it was Freewheel Burnin', btw) on TV, went to the shop, came back with two goodies: Defenders, of course, and Motorhead's Iron Fist. Priest and Motorhead happen to still be on my favourite band list.

20 years, 400+ vinyls and 800+ CDs later, I still can see that 12-year-old kid when I'm at home listening to some Priest, Motorhead, Maiden, AC/DC, Sabbath, Voivod... *wiping the tears*

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted April 12, 2005 21:40     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

My collection of 6300+ cds (I stopped counting when I realized I had a big problem)

WOW That's a HUGE collection man!
pretty sure the HMV in town didn't have that inventory of different CD!

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 12, 2005 22:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Ok, so when did this happen? Was it when you reached the 2000 marker? 2500? Oh wait, 4200?

NO, I had past the 6000 mark when my wife (now ex-wife) got into a fight with me and told me I cared more about my collection that anything else. I realized I was kinda fucked up and obsessive about it... I still have my cds & records, but not my wife... my collection doesn't bitch & complain about anything, but I did stop counting. I'm still very anal about keeping everything in alphabetical/chronological order.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted April 13, 2005 00:19     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
NO, I had past the 6000 mark when my wife (now ex-wife) got into a fight with me and told me I cared more about my collection that anything else. I realized I was kinda fucked up and obsessive about it... I still have my cds & records, but not my wife... my collection doesn't bitch & complain about anything, but I did stop counting. I'm still very anal about keeping everything in alphabetical/chronological order.

Speak of obsession, a friend of mine has recently let a girlfriend go because of his dog. She pointed something like, "you like your dog a lot more than you like me". Dude had no doubt: "sure I do".

Anyway, Schroeder, I'm quite sure that if you count the inventory of different CDs of ALL the music shops in my town, they won't even near you.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan