my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » "technical" death metal (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: "technical" death metal
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted April 09, 2005 18:35     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone know of any good "technical" death metal?

Just heard some stuff by Necrophagist and Origin that's awesome! Necrophagist is crazy. And Behemoth too.

I'm a sucker for anything with lots of crazy pick squeals/pinch harmonics...lots of crazy time changes...etc...I can't tell if death metal is getting more technical/progressive/sophisticated or if my listening tastes are just changing...

|  IP: Logged
Blurrhog
VoivodFan
Member # 503

posted April 09, 2005 19:09     Profile for Blurrhog   Email Blurrhog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
try some later IMMOLATION
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 09, 2005 19:57     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get yourself Demonized - Demonized, that is truly immense.

Also, if you don't have it, Nile's black seeds of vengeance is full of excellent riffs as is amongst the catacombs of nephrem-ka.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 09, 2005 20:51     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Necrophagist is great!!!

You may wanna check out Theory In Practice and Sceptic.

Theory In Practice are totally chaotic actually, arrangements with so many parts it's mind boggling sometimes (in a good way), haha. "The Armageddon Theories" is pretty nice, as is the latest, "Colonizing The Sun".
Link: Official Site (popup warning)

Sceptic is more thrash oriented, but also pretty severly technical. More in the vein of Death, Kreator (vox), etc., but w/their own sound and pretty damn good IMO. Their site seems to be down, so I don't know the status of these guys anymore.

BNR has good descriptions of both these bands.

I'm off to look for more info on Demonized. Thanks Knickerz!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 09, 2005 23:28     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Never heard of Demonized.....hmm....

Start with Death's INDIVIDUAL THOUGHT PATTERNS!

But for the new stuff you must hear Necrophagist's EPITAPH. Defines the phrase 'jaw dropping'.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 10, 2005 01:39     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try Into Eternity www.intoeternity.net Some may call them Prog-Death or Technical Thrash or whatever. They are phenomenal players with complex arrangments and they add clean vox in there too. Kinda like if you took Dream Theater, Iron Maiden and Death and mixed them up.
Hoodlum
VoivodFan
Member # 514

posted April 10, 2005 02:36     Profile for Hoodlum   Email Hoodlum     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check out "Scepter og the Ancients" by Psycroptic. killer Aussie tech-death!!!
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 10, 2005 03:43     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Start with Death's INDIVIDUAL THOUGHT PATTERNS!

Oh yeah, this Death album is great, i bought it on cassette on my vacation in Turkey!! I listened to it a zillion times until it broke down.......

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

pendar
VoivodFan
Member # 409

posted April 10, 2005 09:29     Profile for pendar   Email pendar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Disciples of Power!!!!!
It don't get more technical. r.i.p.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 10, 2005 17:34     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoodlum:
Check out "Scepter og the Ancients" by Psycroptic. killer Aussie tech-death!!!

Thats another goodie...

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted April 11, 2005 09:07     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ATHEIST
DEATH
IMMOLATION
MORBID ANGEL

--------------------

I AM THE WAY!!!

Hoodlum
VoivodFan
Member # 514

posted April 11, 2005 14:35     Profile for Hoodlum   Email Hoodlum     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knickerzohnonnof:
Thats another goodie...

I just found out they're gonna play at The Gathering of the Sick here in Burque!!! I'm fuckin' there!!!

GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted April 11, 2005 16:58     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cryptopsy.
Cryptopsy.
Cryptopsy.

--------------------

www.molokovellocet.com

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 11, 2005 19:13     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GarbageDay:
Cryptopsy.
Cryptopsy.
Cryptopsy.

these guys rule!
HOOD!! What band you talking about? The Aussie Band???? That's awesome! When is the Gathering?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 12, 2005 08:16     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
D'oh! How could I forget Cryptopsy? While I'm at it, how could I fucking forget ARSIS. Get the album A Celebration Of Guilt. It will kill you. www.worshipdepraved.com
Korgul
VoivodFan
Member # 475

posted April 13, 2005 07:31     Profile for Korgul   Email Korgul     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Technical Death Metal :

First check DEATH (godz)
Then ATHEIST, CYNIC (not really Death metal but so excellent !), NOCTURNUS, SUFFOCATION (aarrgghhh the best Death Metal bands ever !)
When you'll be able to sing each note of these ones, you could try some others

But for sure these bands will grind your brain if you think BEHEMOTH is technical !!

--------------------

My sky is black today

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted April 13, 2005 07:55     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not to forget Pestilence's "Consuming Impulse" and "Testimony Of The Ancients"! Technical brillant and nasty as wasp.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 13, 2005 08:56     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Seconded Suffocation. Brutal as hell, but clever and complex with it.
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted April 13, 2005 09:28     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Necrophagist!

Besides classics like Atheist and Pestilence, you may be interested by:

Martyr
Anata
Defiled
Gorguts
Psychofagist (from Italy, more chaotic and grindcore, though)
Theory in Practice, Cryptopsy, Immolation...

Hoodlum
VoivodFan
Member # 514

posted April 16, 2005 12:53     Profile for Hoodlum   Email Hoodlum     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
these guys rule!
HOOD!! What band you talking about? The Aussie Band???? That's awesome! When is the Gathering?

Psycroptic. Awesome band! I talked to Joe and he they had ta cancel for the Gathering. The Gathering is on the 5th and 6th of Aug. He's still talking to some more bands who might play also. Don't worry my friend! He said they're coming to burque with Deeds Of Flesh in October!

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 16, 2005 13:27     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nile
Yattering - Human's Pain best one I reckon
definately the last 2 Immolation albums
& Decrepit Birth apparantly

--------------------

String em up

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 16, 2005 13:37     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wouldn't particularly call Decrepit Birth "technical"... but the drumming on their latest one is absolutely bonkers. Tim Yeung's one of the best drummers around at the moment, and he's only in his late twenties.

Aurora Borealis, Yeung's old band are more black metal influenced in style, but they deserve a mention. Sort of At the Gates-y, but more complex and with mad drumming.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 16, 2005 14:13     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Decrepit Birth is my boyfriend's recommendation, him being the death metal encyclopaedia 'round these parts.. all the other ones he mentioned are here already!!

I prefer older stuff meself, Pestilence, Obituary, Bolt Thrower etc. Although I love that Yattering album

Anything, do you post on the Nile forum? Many death metal experts there I think! & Karl posts there also. Karl rules!! www.nile-catacombs.net

Also there is an Akercocke forum, pretty good. The band post here also. Top lads!

Akercocke forum

--------------------

String em up

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 16, 2005 15:21     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lyckantropen:
Tim Yeung

h yeah baby! Imagine a three-way including myself w/Tim and Dave Suzuki....droolssss...

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Hoodlum
VoivodFan
Member # 514

posted April 18, 2005 01:46     Profile for Hoodlum   Email Hoodlum     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
h yeah baby! Imagine a three-way including myself w/Tim and Dave Suzuki....droolssss...

I'll hold the camera!!!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan