my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Metal Education

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Metal Education
Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted March 25, 2005 16:06     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now I'll admit I'm not what you'd call a metal afficionado by any means. In fact, I really only started listening to metal again when I heard about Snake rejoining VV (see, the last album was good for something!). I think I stopped following metal through the 90s because I was disenchanted with the direction some of my favourite bands like Metallica and even Voiovd were taking (see the Black album and Angel Rat).

So, anyway... I flicked on the local music tv channel at about 1am the other night and noticed a new metal show called 'The Steelmill' - an hour long slot dedicated to the more hardcore styles of metal.
The videos played were by Strapping Young Lad , Cathedral, Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Mesuggah, Darkane, Nevermore and Neurosis... and another band I didn't catch the name of.
All in all it was fantastic to see and hear some underground metal clips from bands I'd heard of but not actually listened to.

I'm not sure if it's going to be a weekly show (here in NZ) but I'll certainly start recording it if it is, so I can continue my metal re-education

Do other tv stations in other countries still have dedicated hardcore metal shows? Or did I just get lucky?

|  IP: Logged
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted March 25, 2005 19:21     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What's wrong with Angel Rat?

I think it rules !

In fact, I am the idiot walking along the canvas but its not cause of fear why iam
not flying.

Angel Rat is superb.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 25, 2005 19:37     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll second (and third) the vote for Angel Rat being an incredible album. I love the fact that they were always trying something new, maybe the production coulda been been heavier, but the album is a masterpiece from beginning to end. I always like the fact that I never knew what to expect from each Voivod release but I always knew it would be artisticlly challenging and masterfully written.

--------------------

yawn

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted March 25, 2005 19:39     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Angel Rat has some good tracks on it, it also has some duds IMO. And then there's the powder-puff production... but that's not really the band's fault.

I'm sure the old Angel Rat chestnut has been cracked open here one too many times already tho

..back to the topic ... we have been pretty well starved of metal music video over here in New Zealand for ages, so it was refreshing to see those bands on tv.

Stand outs I thought were Strapping Young Lad ... chaotically fast and brutal.
I also liked the Neurosis video 'Stones from the Sky' - the graphics reminded me a lot of Voivod - and the searing wall of guitar sound was most pleasing.
The Napalm Death track (I think it was Breed to Breathe) was my least favourite... mainly due to the vocalist (Greenway?) who sounded like a cow being spanked with a cricket bat.
I'm not sure what to make of Cathedral... are they supposed to be a parody of Black Sabbath?

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 25, 2005 21:02     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Cathedral... are they supposed to be a parody of Sabbath?

Cathedral is pretty much directly responsible for all that symphonic black metal you hear now a days (imo). makes me wanna get into that new Metal-Ballet.

but since someone brought it up...

I LOVE ANGEL-RAT

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 25, 2005 21:50     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatross:
Cathedral is pretty much directly responsible for all that symphonic black metal you hear now a days (imo). makes me wanna get into that new Metal-Ballet.

Eh?

Would you mind elaborating on that???

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 26, 2005 03:48     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK slay, apology on that. One thing this has been debated to death before i am sure, but redneck's version of doom and the brits version of doom has been contemplated to almost no end. Cathedral being an exception to bordering our version of the usage of the word. In a way Doom is not really a sound but lyrical content (imo) Believe it or not i can even sometimes have a hard time considering Candlemass Doom becuse of the fantasy releated lyrics about witches and demons ect... Also you have to admit there are some gothy undertones in Cathedral, and that was before goth was goth. But i guess the americans have subsided and gave in and we now accept StonerRock or FuzzRock the new doom i suppose?

if i had to name 3 band from my area that i consider Doom i could give you these below and lyrical content is all morality based.

Spirit Caravan
Unorthodox
Revelation... <-doomy lyrics guide.

quote:
John Brenner: - "never comes silence"

Racing thoughts no stop them please won't someone make me laugh again. I just want to sleep forever only without dreams just black nothing but sleep never comes. I reach out call out no one is there no one hears where are you. Maybe I'll never know find me save me from all choices all futures no answers never come

I'm alone
No one watches me
In no one's thoughts am I now
Must it be as if it never were?
I can't see beyond yesterday
As I fade from your memory
So do I fade from my own
(goodbye...)

here is the 18:min epic from Revelation 1993, all 4 parts are needed to extract, bitrate is at 224k.

pt.1
pt.2
pt.3
pt.4

Doom is a struggle, an inner turmoil, mabye even depressing...
but it's not a D&D game

srprozak
VoivodFan
Member # 566

posted April 01, 2005 21:59     Profile for srprozak   Email srprozak     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatross:
In a way Doom is not really a sound but lyrical content (imo)

I would call it a sound but not a style or genre, in that the general sound can be applied in several genres (heavy, death, black).

Lyrically, it's Romanticist, like the rest of metal, but stretched in a morbid direction.

I recommend Celtic Frost to all doom metal heads...

--------------------

http://www.anus.com/
http://www.churcharson.com/
http://www.gnaa.us/

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted April 01, 2005 23:28     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Celtic Frost = BlackMetal

i really liked the HellHammer and CF first album but far from "Tr00 DOOM"

heh, J/K... doom is what ever you want it to be.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 02, 2005 00:30     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always regarded Celtic Frost as kind of a thrash/death metal band, it is interesting to see how musical definitions vary around the globe!
I also see from early VV interviews that they regarded themselves as "power metal" , I always thought of power metal as bands that sound like Helloween or Manowar! And "black metal" as bands like Darkthrone, Mayhem, Satyricon etc. Although admittedly some Darkthrone sounds just like Celtic Frost.
Also doom, I regard bands like Candlemass & Solitude Aeturnus as doom, but my definition of "Doom Metal" is based more on musical than lyrical content.

Is there like an "official guide" for these metal genres on the net anywhere???

--------------------

String em up

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted April 02, 2005 00:50     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Watching this weeks extreme metal show the following band's vids were on (with my brief beavis and butthead type analyisis):

Dimmu Borgir - not bad, reminds me of a louder faster NIN
Dark Tranquility - ok
Samael - boring, technically weak
Wintersun - ok... vocalist plays a telecaster!
Impaled Nazarene - errmm.. cheerleaders with machine guns
Zyklon - some good riffage (sound better than they look)
Dawn of Azazel - complete bollocks
Notre Dame - oh dear, the circus is arriving in town
Susperia - kind of ok
Cradle of Filth - probably the most interesting of the clown bands
Borknager - cant seem to decide what type of metal to play, so they keep changing
Graveworm - vocalist sounds like Gollum
immortal - sad clowns
Emperor - very silly d&d metal
Satyricon - hahahahahaha, more amusing clowns
Seth - yawn

Can anyone define what 'types' of metal they would classify these bands?

Personally, the whole painted face and tryhard scary lyrics don't work for me.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 02, 2005 00:55     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahahahaa "clown bands" I guess these would be classified as black metal by most people. I saw a Satyrican vid on MTV (Fuel for Hatred I think) & I thought it sounded different from the version on the album, not as good. The sound on the album seems heavier. Maybe that's just my stereo though.
Ah well I like many of the "clown bands" anyway.
This should probably be in the Best Corpsepaint thread but I can't find it.

--------------------

String em up

srprozak
VoivodFan
Member # 566

posted April 02, 2005 07:51     Profile for srprozak   Email srprozak     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No genre definition was given for Celtic Frost in my post.

--------------------

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted April 02, 2005 09:19     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The state of the more mainstream-metal nowadays is just appalling. I can't make myself listen to any of it really.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 02, 2005 10:28     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:

This should probably be in the Best Corpsepaint thread but I can't find it.

I believe it's the Best Black Metal Pics of All Time...or some such title!
I'd fetch it for ya, however, I tend to get shit for bringing up old threads...She's all yours. And it still is my fave thread.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

srprozak
VoivodFan
Member # 566

posted April 02, 2005 11:27     Profile for srprozak   Email srprozak     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guidon:
The state of the more mainstream-metal nowadays is just appalling. I can't make myself listen to any of it really.

Me either, and I hasten to add: the underground is no better.

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan