my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Metal reviews

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Metal reviews
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 23, 2005 22:15     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got turned on to this site thanks to fellow vvf'er wireneck. Do yourself a favor and check out all the reviews by Hunter Ginn(many of you may already know Hunter from his drumming brilliance in the band Canvas Solaris).

His reviews are quite entertaining on three levels.
First the depth of this guy's metal knowledge is oceansize. Its not just that he knows a lot...its also that his writing is an intellectual experience...like a professor in the classroom talking about your favorite subject. Heavy fucking metal!!
The second reason to read his stuff is that he's funny as hell and accurately exposes a lot of these bands for what they are: PURE SHITE! I haven't laughed this hard since reading metal sludge...(btw, what happened to that site?)
Reason number 3 to read Hunter's stuff is that he knows what he is talking about. He is a musician in a band signed to a label and not some fat internet jerkoff (who's never picked up an instrument) stuck in his smelly apartment screaming at the world. So there is a lot more confidence behind what he writes because the guy is actively involved in the scene.

Check it out, you'll have to dig through them to find his pieces. I'd suggest starting with Dragonforce and Some LMP Shit:

METALREVIEWS

Oh and be sure to check out the VV review. Its' not Hunter's but its definitely worth a read for the VoiVodhater in you....

|  IP: Logged
marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted March 24, 2005 03:11     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The work of this guy is really well-made. Do you know if he also made reviews of demo-tapes? I would be very curious to read his opinion about my work
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 24, 2005 08:10     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not sure what his schedule is at this point but he's a super nice guy and generally responds quickly. His email:

canvassolaris@hotmail.com

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted March 24, 2005 08:28     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, thanks I will try...
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted March 24, 2005 08:40     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
pretty good reviews, thanks for the link!
oh, and Canvas Solaris rules

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted March 24, 2005 10:32     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's the hardest review of the self titled album from Voivod... ouch... too much

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et ŕ l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 24, 2005 18:03     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First few reads were funny, eventually the ugly face of the site showed: boredom. Ranting does not necessarily mean atittude.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 24, 2005 18:50     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have only liked Prozak's reviews via ANUS.com, since they are to the point, and quite easy to understand.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 25, 2005 11:23     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:
First few reads were funny, eventually the ugly face of the site showed: boredom. Ranting does not necessarily mean atittude.

Yeah, Slay I was only referring to Hunter's reviews. As for the others....? I don't really care. Hell, I believe he only has 4 reviews on the whole site.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 25, 2005 21:44     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Yeah, Slay I was only referring to Hunter's reviews. As for the others....? I don't really care. Hell, I believe he only has 4 reviews on the whole site.

Oh, I didn't notice that. Well, he is a good writer then. But the other ones DO suck donkey dick.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted March 26, 2005 18:40     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syl Disjonk:
There's the hardest review of the self titled album from Voivod... ouch... too much

Yeah, that is quite catty, even by my standards. Made me laugh though! Fetch me a fucking saucer of milk hehehehee.

It kind of balances out all the dishonest arselicky reviews that accompanied this album on release though. If the majority of magazine reviews had been more honest in the first place, perhaps there would be less backlash. The bullshitty reviews pretty much did for this album what the horrible Tom-in-pink-lipstick photos did for Cold Lake.

I have to disagree with the Finntroll & Akercocke reviews though. Seems to me like it's a case of being bitchy just for the sake of it.
Akercocke get bitched about enough in London as it is, by every jealous 2nd rate band & sceney twat around, for having the bloody cheek to be successful it seems. They have worked their arses off for their success. And their drummer's girlfriend gets bitched about by the ol' Minger Brigade full-time, for having huge boobies.
Hah!

--------------------

String em up

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 30, 2005 09:49     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehehe, Keith Bergman is now reviewing at Blabbermouth. Check out his review for the latest Hammerfall album (I wonder why power metal bands get all the funniest reviews ):

Hammerfall review

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan