my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » RIP Kurt-NME

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RIP Kurt-NME
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 10, 2005 20:00       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This was a good friend of my with a really excellent band.You should go to there web site and download there whole album. http://www.nme666.com/
scroll down a little and you will see on the right hand side the whole album of Machine of War 95-it's a killer album.

-
From King 5.com

SEATTLE -- A man who drove through a barricade went off the lower West Seattle bridge, dropped 80 feet and died as his car hit the ground.

Spokeswoman Helen Fitzpatrick said the turntable bridge had opened for vessel traffic on the Duwamish Waterway and traffic on the bridge was stopped.

Witnesses said the man pulled out of line and crashed through the barrier, sailing through the open gap.

The Jetta fell about 80 feet, landing on its top. "There were three cars that were stopped for the bridge," said Sean Whitcomb, Seattle Police Department spoksman. "This car accelerated and then proceeded to go through an arm that was down and then another metal barrier."

The Vokswagen Jetta landed on its top on the east side of the waterway. The driver died at the scene. He was identified as 39-year-old Kurt A. Struebing.

The Jetta took the barrier with it and the electronics of the bridge were damaged. The bridge is closed to traffic. The opening time is not yet known.

The turntable bridge had opened for vessel traffic on the Duwamish Waterway and traffic on the bridge was stopped.

It's not known if Struebing was trying to beat the bridge or was suicidal. Witnesses told police he was upright and appeared conscious as he drove past the other cars. Police also said there was a baby seat in the car.

IP: Logged
anomalies
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 72

posted March 10, 2005 20:40     Profile for anomalies   Email anomalies     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not to be rude...but is this the same guy who murdered his own mother back in 1986? NME regrouped in 1994 I believe. What happened on that bridge? Very strange story...
 |  IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 10, 2005 21:35     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, I saw this on the news when it happened! Very weird! Sounds almost like it was intentional.

I didn't know the guy, though he was a frequent contributor to the local Seattle metal forum and seemed like a fairly together cat. Considering his past, it's likely he had more going on inside than most people knew. I won't soil the thread with to much of this kind of talk though... very strange and sad.

Sorry for your loss LE.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 10, 2005 21:56       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dont know a damn things about his past so i cant tell you anything.
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 10, 2005 22:17       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
damn,if thats true i better stop talking to strangers through my computer.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 10, 2005 22:25     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's true.

Well, the guy was apparently reformed...

He had quite an impact on the scene. Look at all the posts about him...
SMO LINK

I dunno...

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 11, 2005 10:36       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
saw this on Blabbermouth:

NME Founder KURT STRUEBING Killed In Bridge Crash - Mar. 11, 2005

Hector Castro of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer has issued the following report:

When Kurt Struebing (photo) died this week after his car fell through the open draw span of a bridge, it ended a life that friends said seemed to have been lived by two different people.

Nearly 20 years ago, he killed his mother and was sent to prison. Years later, he became a leading figure in heavy-metal music, a trusted friend and a doting father.

On Wednesday (March 9), Struebing, 39, drove his Volkswagen Jetta through two barriers on the Spokane Street Bridge as it opened to let a tug pass on the Duwamish Waterway. The Jetta plunged off the bridge and landed on the ground more than 50 feet below (photo).

Police investigators and motorists who saw the crash were puzzled over why Struebing drove off the bridge.

Friends believe it was simply a horrible accident.

"It's such a loss," said one of them, Lisa Bonner. "It's huge."

Yesterday (March 10), Bonner and several of Struebing's other friends gathered at The Olde Shipwreck tavern on Tacoma's Tideflats for an impromptu benefit to help his family.

"Whatever we can do to make it easier for his family, we will," she said.

Other benefit concerts are expected to follow, she said, which makes sense given Struebing's enormous involvement in the local heavy-metal music scene.

After all, Struebing had in recent years been willing to use his music to help others. Last year, he helped to organize a concert to help the family of a soldier and local musician killed in Iraq. He did the same for another musician who lost his home in a fire.

"He was the go-to guy," Bonner said. "We could call him at any time and ask him for anything, and he would say yes."

Struebing was involved in music for the past two decades, forming a band with some high school buddies in the mid-1980s. By 1986, their band, NME, had released three albums.

But in April of that year, Struebing, then 20, was accused of killing his adoptive mother, Darlee Struebing, with a hatchet and a pair of scissors. At the time, friends said, Struebing had been abusing drugs, and even prosecutors believed he was mentally unstable. He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 12 years in prison, although prosecutors sought a shorter sentence.

Released early from prison in 1994, it wasn't long before Struebing, a guitarist, began playing music again and the band, NME, reformed.

Critics call their music "black metal." Some music of that genre includes satanic imagery and mentions of the occult. Struebing's band, whose name is pronounced "enemy," had its own Web site: www.nme666.com.

But friends said the music was tongue-in-cheek. "It was just music," said Stephen Austin, who is producer for a heavy-metal program on a cable-access channel.

Read more at Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

anomalies
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 72

posted March 11, 2005 14:42     Profile for anomalies   Email anomalies     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wasn't trying to air dirty laundry about your friend LE -- but I do see it all has hit blabbermouth...

I had heard of his past when NME reformed and remembered what a bizarre story it was. Something like that is obviously impossible to forget.

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 11, 2005 14:55       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hell i dont care.i just never heard any of this stuff before so its all new to me but he was really cool to me and many other people since i've known him,which has only been about two years.
He's even done 3 benefit shows for friend for various reasons(car accidents-fire damage-wounded soldiers)and thats just stuff i know about,so it "seems" he was a very different person.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan