my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Fantômas (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Fantômas
Jeffrey
VoivodFan
Member # 132

posted February 22, 2005 20:58     Profile for Jeffrey   Email Jeffrey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have just discovered the band Fantômas with Mike Patton and Dave Lombardo and I can't stop listening to this. Anybody knows other bands that would be in the same range of music (or noise?!)? I would love to find something else as weird as this!

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 22, 2005 21:09     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lightning Bolt and Dillinger Escape Plan spring to mind....

Erase Errata
Man is the Bastard
Melt Banana
The Residents
Grandpa's Ghost
Guyana Punch Line

and none of those are really like Fantomas. but each has its common elements, id say. Fantomas switched styles around themselves on each album, pretty much.

did i mention that Fantomas rules? that last album got too much crap---its a fucking great album.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted February 22, 2005 23:45     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Guyana Punch Line??
Ouch man. Tang sucks and Fantomas rules.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 23, 2005 00:12     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
haha, the last Guyana Punch Line album is one of the most intense albums ive ever bought.

their guitarist is a huge Voivod fan, too. altho, he thought Mez must be cool for wearing a Korgull shirt, so hes obviously a little naive.........

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted February 23, 2005 02:03     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You would have discovered them much sooner if you would have subscribed to my site comp CDs.

Don't forget Mr. Bungle (buy all 3 albums) who share 2 common members with Fantomas, and Secret Chiefs 3, (the latest 'Book of Horizons' is their best by far) who share at least one common member with Bungle and maybe Fantomas. (depending on the album)

Also recommended:

Estradasphere
Tub Ring
The Locust
Darth Vegas

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted February 23, 2005 03:08     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I suggest Painkiller - "Guts Of A Virgin" with John Zorn and Bill Laswell.
Excellent if you like the jazz-grind style...

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted February 23, 2005 05:31     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good suggestions above.

I can only think of:

"The Dismemberment Plan.", esp. "Emergency & I."

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted February 23, 2005 06:14     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
btw, Jeffrey, which album did you listen to?

Mr Bungle (same singer and bassist)
Melt Banana
Lightning Bolt
The Locust
Hella
X-Legged Sally

Atomsmasher, and
Phantomsmasher (feat. Jim Plotkin of OLD; Ipecac records)

Trevor Dunn's Trio-Convulsant (the bass player's album, on Ipecac too)

Mike Patton solo albums: 100% experimental noise... don't buy them blindly

Among the many John Zorn projects:

Massacre (1981)
Painkiller
Naked City
Masada / Electric Masada: the Masada series are Klezmer musik (jewish folk) going freejazz; Trevor Dunn plays in the Electric version of the band

undirectly related, could be of interest:
xmarsx (Mars Williams, featuring Wayne Kramer of the MC5; contemporary jazz/fusion)
Praxis (Bill Laswell, Bernie Worrell, Bootsy, Brain, Buckethead, Mick Harris) : review1 , review2

Korgul
VoivodFan
Member # 475

posted February 23, 2005 07:23     Profile for Korgul   Email Korgul     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hard to find something really close to FANTOMAS (they fucking rules !!!!)

As already said, you can try MR BUNGLE, NAKED CITY, PAINKILLER, Patton solo album (even if some are really noise), John Zorn (but listen to it before, cause this man is doing 1 millions different things) or even WHEN

Anyone has news about the new FANTOMAS Lp ??

--------------------

My sky is black today

Jeffrey
VoivodFan
Member # 132

posted February 23, 2005 07:32     Profile for Jeffrey   Email Jeffrey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Neutrino, I have listen to Director's cut, Delirium Cordia, and the first one, which is my favorite. Thanks everybody for the suggestions, I will take a look at that!
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted February 23, 2005 07:58     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
aah the first album is pretty much my favorite too!

Release date for Suspended Animation, the new Fantômas album, is April 5th!
It's based on "nursery rhymes, cartoon sound effects", and on the month of april (30 tracks/pages/days)...
cover

Fantômas + the Locust + Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant : US tour in april!
http://ipecac.com/calendar.php

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 23, 2005 08:21     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutrino:
aah the first album is pretty much my favorite too!

Release date for Suspended Animation, the new Fantômas album, is April 5th!
It's based on "nursery rhymes, cartoon sound effects", and on the month of april (30 tracks/pages/days)...
cover

Fantômas + the Locust + Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant : US tour in april!
http://ipecac.com/calendar.php

I will be there for sure!!! Mary Halverson is not just a great guitarist but incredibly beautiful as well. One lady I'd love to buy a drink...

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 23, 2005 09:58     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
could somebody give me a link to somne mp3's please??

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 23, 2005 16:46     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
could somebody give me a link to somne mp3's please??

Check your email

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 23, 2005 17:00     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nevermind, it wouldn't send for some reason, hmmm...

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 23, 2005 17:19     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
im seriously debating taking off some work for that Fantomas show in Athens in April, Mez. if im still working for the same place....hmmmm....

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted February 23, 2005 21:09     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
here are a couple of samples from the new Fantômas:

Sample 1
Sample 2

I get the sense that this disc might be their best yet.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 23, 2005 21:19     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
here are a couple of samples from the new Fantômas:

Sample 1
Sample 2

I get the sense that this disc might be their best yet.

sounds a little like Bungle crossed with the first Fantomas album... good deal.

--------------------

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted February 24, 2005 00:56     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thank you Tangooooo!!!! these samples are awesome!
promo poster

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted February 24, 2005 03:52     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ftp://66.111.37.22/

lots of bootlegs and rare tracks from Fantomas, Zorn, Laswell, Patton ecc..

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 24, 2005 07:32     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuclear infusion:
Check your email

Hi Nuke, thanks for that but my e-mail adres is now: voivodian@hotmail.com

the other one is not working anymore.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 24, 2005 08:07     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
im seriously debating taking off some work for that Fantomas show in Athens in April, Mez. if im still working for the same place....hmmmm....

Uhmmmm...April 7th is crap. Ugh, what a bad date...I definitely want to go though!! We'll talk about it.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 24, 2005 08:14     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
About the tour:

"As you can see in the calendar section, most of the 2005 US Geek tour dates have been announced. A few more to come. The lineup is very nice once again. Unfortunately the Locust will not be with us on all the dates. They actually have morals and won't play Clear Channel venues. Fantômas on the hand are whores and go where the money is!
We need to let you know, once again, that if your city is not listed, it does not mean the bands did not want to go to your city, and it does not mean that we hate your city. It simply means that there was not a club in your city that made a good offer for the tour. The bands don't choose the clubs, the clubs decide to make offers or not. Bitch at your local clubs, not at us or the bands. We love you Ft. Wayne!!!!!"

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted February 24, 2005 14:48     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sample 3: IPC62_10-04-10-05-sunday.mp3
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 24, 2005 17:31     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mmmmmhhhh, i like it.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan