my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Somewhere something has happened (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Somewhere something has happened
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 16, 2005 08:32     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Last night I was watching a brand new Kreator DVD and all of the sudden a though came through my mind. Wasn’t Kreator on of the bands Voivod toured with and driven with on the same rented little bus across Europe? I think back then Voivod was even more popular then Kreator, Possessed etc. But wat I saw on that DVD was a band with hugh successes across the whole globe. And that is something never happened with Voivod. In my opinion Voivod always were small. But last night I saw the difference in success is, how do I say it?, painful. Could be very well the guys think of it an other way.

What I am trying to say is that somewhere along the way things have changed immensely for Voivod. Is it breaking up with Blacky? Is it making the Angel Rat album? Is it not touring Europe after bringing out several albums? For example, Dimension Hatross, Angel Rat, Voivod s/t? Or is it changing musical course every album? I see Kreator albums are pretty much the same….

These questions are bugging me for ages and I hope you do not get me wrong but on the first hand I wish Voivod all the best with 10.000 people crowds and 1.000.000 sale figures. On the other hand I am proud to be a fan of a band that is not that know nowadays. But going to a rock concert meeting not one other guy in a Voivod shirt is least to say shitty.

I wonder what your opinions are about this subject. Please help me out to form some kind of meaning.

Thanks, Paul

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted February 16, 2005 09:47     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am really glad they are now getting a bit more of the recognition they deserve. Although I'm not keen on the last album, it is my least favourite, i'm glad that Newsted joining has got them more attention & album sales.
It seems to me that a lot of the time, musicians make better albums when they are hard up & struggling, & make crappier albums when they are happy & doing ok (Cold Lake was a pretty good example also).
So although I think the last album was a bit naff, I feel a little guilty being rude about it. I'd rather they were happy & having a laugh.. about time really.

--------------------

String em up

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted February 16, 2005 11:07     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think touring is very important. I think they should have ditched the Ozzfest, where they were not appreciated, and gone on their own tour, headlining smaller clubs with maybe one of the newer death metal bands supporting. I know that those decisions are not all made up by the band, but they should have at least hit the Euro festival circuit. Tour, tour and more tour. Let people know that you're still out there.

As for Kreator, I don't think all of their records all sound the same. Renewal, Endorama and Outcast were all very different from what came before and after. There were a few years there that they didn't play straight ahead thrash at all.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted February 16, 2005 12:01     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes!!! More touring!!!
& how about making it to Europe next time, that would be nice....

--------------------

String em up

Blackguard
VoivodFan
Member # 61

posted February 16, 2005 12:37     Profile for Blackguard   Email Blackguard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's management problem...
How can you go to headlining a show with Soundgarden and Faith no more as opening acts, to almost nothing ???
These days you have to do a lot of promo and marketing if you want some sort of success, I don't think Voivod did enough of that after nothingface...

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted February 16, 2005 13:06     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, maybe. Always annoys me that Piggy is not in more guitar mags. Most unfair & crap.

--------------------

String em up

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 16, 2005 13:33     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everything changed after Angel Rat.

With Blacky gone, they lost theyre direction and half of theyre technical skill.
Much can be said about the MCA / Terry Brown deal too.

Now they just put out Alternative albums.

My 2 cents.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 16, 2005 14:49     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You name it...

Mis-management, bullshit labels, cluelessness, sheer bad luck and more recently bonehead touring decisions and horrible p.r., all thrown together throughout their career.

There's also their complete ignorance or laziness about using the web as a tool to connect with their fan base. Seen an Away post lately?

It *is* extremely frustrating to be a VVF nowadays.

But then, it's only a band. So why bother.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 16, 2005 17:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
You name it...

Mis-management, bullshit labels, cluelessness, sheer bad luck and more recently bonehead touring decisions and horrible p.r., all thrown together throughout their career.

There's also their complete ignorance or laziness about using the web as a tool to connect with their fan base. Seen an Away post lately?

It *is* extremely frustrating to be a VVF nowadays.

But then, it's only a band. So why bother.

Couldn't have summed it better myself!!!!

I was actually thinking the same thing when I watched the KREATOR dvd. This should be where VOIVOD is atif only things went better in their carreer. I'd kill to watch a VOIVOD dvd created on the level as the RAGE or KREATOR dvds.... they are incredible and very professional.

--------------------

yawn

Blurrhog
VoivodFan
Member # 503

posted February 16, 2005 19:03     Profile for Blurrhog   Email Blurrhog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always saw it as this. kreator are one of the easiest thrash band in the world to get into just because its very raw and basic. Well to me Voivod was always the thinking mans thrash/metal band. Either u love em or you hate. Definetaly not a inbetween.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 17, 2005 09:29     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They NEED to do a dvd, it would totally rule. And I agree with hex.
nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted February 17, 2005 13:05     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As for a DVD i think they have more than enough material for even a 2-dvd package.

The main problem in all this years is touring.
Kreator over here are popular and have a loyal fan support, why? 5 or 6 concerts since at least 91 till now.
Voivod in the beginning of the 90's also had a "large" fan basis over here, even non-metalfans (alternative and progressive fans) still like them, but then they ask where the hell are they, are they still putting out albums?
More touring would be nice, Kreator as pointed here toured almost all Europe, South America, Australia, Japan and other places...while Voivod dont.
I just hope this changes soon cause i also haven't seem them LIVE, and its my fave band.

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted February 17, 2005 21:48     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kudos to any metal band that survived being involved with NOISE records in the late 80's/early 90's. (though still surprised cheese like Running Wild and Rage are still around)

But touring, touring, touring, seems to be the way to continue in this business. Regardless of record sales or promotion, you just keep showing up in people's towns. I think Mille is kinda like Lemmy; just keep the machine rolling on and on with whatever musicians can handle the ride.

RAVEN is still around for god's sake. Yeeesh.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted February 18, 2005 05:16     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hex:
But anyway it's just my opinion - let's all be kind, don't let that frustration worsen. It's all too easy to offend a person (especially a creative person!), it's all to hard to make it right again.

Amen, hex!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted February 18, 2005 21:42     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah a dvd would be great.. are they too stoned all the time to get round to making it?

I know it sounds bitchy, but I really thought for a while that the last album was some kind of a weird practical joke. Sorry to say that, as it probably sounds offensive.
Also I am an artist, & I have to put up with criticism all the time, in whatever line of work I do, sculpting/ drawing/ painting/ modelling/ whatever, & you need to be really thick-skinned! If my work is sub-standard, I get a bollocking & I don't get paid. I wish people would be kind all the time! But I passed the point of being easily offended a long time ago. Why can't they?!!

If the guys don't bother with this website because they don't like people's honest opinions on the last album, that is a shame, & perhaps shows some negativity on their part? Are we supposed to kiss arse & handle them with kid gloves then? This is a great website & most of what I see on here seems pretty positive. If I was in a band & someone put together a website like this, I would just take it as a compliment that anyone could be bothered in the first place.
If we didn't like them we wouldn't be here.

--------------------

String em up

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 06, 2005 14:19     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Today i saw the end of the DVD and to my suprise i saw Snake visiting a Kreator Concert and talking to the camera. Mille took pictures of all audiences in the world.

--------------------

Spaceman Spiff
VoivodFan
Member # 440

posted March 06, 2005 14:44     Profile for Spaceman Spiff   Email Spaceman Spiff     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blurrhog:
I always saw it as this. kreator are one of the easiest thrash band in the world to get into just because its very raw and basic. Well to me Voivod was always the thinking mans thrash/metal band. Either u love em or you hate. Definetaly not a inbetween.

That's my thought too. Voivod's 'weirdness', which I love, is harder for new listeners to get past.

And speaking of Voivod shirts at concerts, years ago (mid-90's) I went to the Milwaukee Metalfest wearing one of my Voivod tour shirts. This tall, tattooed, corpsepaint wearing guy came running up to me (just a regular looking guy) and said 'You like Voivod? I like Voivod! I live across the street from Away!' and he dragged me over to meet all of his friends, who didn't speak English (I don't speak French).

They were all very friendly and every year after that I would see him there at some point and he'd wave from across the room. I have no idea who he is, but if you wear your shirts you never know what Voivod fans may turn up.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 07, 2005 09:23     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff:
That's my thought too. Voivod's 'weirdness', which I love, is harder for new listeners to get past.

And speaking of Voivod shirts at concerts, years ago (mid-90's) I went to the Milwaukee Metalfest wearing one of my Voivod tour shirts. This tall, tattooed, corpsepaint wearing guy came running up to me (just a regular looking guy) and said 'You like Voivod? I like Voivod! I live across the street from Away!' and he dragged me over to meet all of his friends, who didn't speak English (I don't speak French).

They were all very friendly and every year after that I would see him there at some point and he'd wave from across the room. I have no idea who he is, but if you wear your shirts you never know what Voivod fans may turn up.

Cool story, dude. And welcome aboard!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 07, 2005 16:23     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
just wanted to say
SPACEMAN SPIFF is a great user name...
Calvin & hobbes are the BEST comic EVER written, no if ands or buts about it.

--------------------

yawn

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 07, 2005 19:48     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:

I agree 100% with your post, Skul. But these, to me, are only half the reasons why Voïvod didn't make it like Kreator. The other half was explained by Blurrdog (quoted below):

quote:
Originally posted by Blurrhog:

In other words, non-conventional/complex music released thru shitty labels without proper promotion & intense touring = Voïvod.

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 07, 2005 21:28       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They really should use the web more and connect with the fans.
I visit several site regularly and i talk to many band members often but i never have here.
I've talked with everybody from Metal Church on there site a few years ago and i talk almost every week with Blaine the lead singer from The Accused.I also talked with Prong,Annhilator,etc.Too many to mention but my point is every single site i go to i have talked with atleast one person from that band but i have never talked with anybody from Voivod.So there is a big opportunity they are missing here and as far as i know they don't seem to care.
It's sad but i love VoiVod so much i really don't care as long as they keep putting out music,because i happen to like EVERY album they have released.

IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 08, 2005 07:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Living Evil, you forget that Eric and Blacky (although not current members) visit and contribute to this forum and answer questions. Kinda "strange and ironic" when ya think about it. Even though both guys have moved on from Voivod they still take more time then the current members to stay in touch with the fans.

--------------------

yawn

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 08, 2005 09:51       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah i did forget about that but i would mostly like someone from the band to keep us posted on the new stuff,though i am very happy those two do stop in from time to time.
IP: Logged
Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted March 08, 2005 09:57     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Even though both guys have moved on from Voivod they still take more time then the current members to stay in touch with the fans.

Good point!

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 09, 2005 00:53     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you really think they want our sucky ass opinions changing the way they make music? and believe me our opinions suck! that has what has always made VV distinct, going against the grain playing in their own field. i suspect VV does read here and mabye even posts sometimes, but its like this little game you gotta figure out who they are, which is quite fun and keeps me comin back for more. i appreciate eric and blacky being around to give us the heads-up, its really cool, but on a few other sites that i visit where the current band is in production, they dont really talk to the fans. mabye after the release or after the band is finished putting out albums.

[imo] VV has always made the music for 'themselves' first off, the day that changes and they start tailoring (even to the hardest core fans) is the day they truely sell out.

[just my opinions] plz dont let me be accused of being a troll for stating just my opinion, even if it goes against the majority in this thread.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan