my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » "Weakling" - anyone ever heard of them? - Black(ish) metal. (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: "Weakling" - anyone ever heard of them? - Black(ish) metal.
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted February 05, 2005 12:18     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been getting back into metal recently, trying to see what I've missed...

I was looking for some 'Isis' stuff or obscure black metal bands. Ironically I've found a track that sounds like both...

"Weakling"

Sound fucking amazing to my ears. Can anyone here enlighten me beyond the all-too-brief bio on the following page??
http://www.epitonic.com/artists/weakling.html

|  IP: Logged
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted February 06, 2005 02:46     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Probly get more here: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:zr1m962ojepc~T1

Holy shit, just listened to the MP3, fuckin awsome, didn't know kick ass Black Metal came out in this city, I though it was just scensters here.

Another review: http://www.tumult.net/catalog/weakling.html

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 07, 2005 09:05     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From AMG: "The band's sole recording, Dead As Dreams, barely even came out, as the original plan had been to only release one copy of the album and give it to a teenager in Europe."

Hey, you kid, yes you! Come here! Here, take this!

Talk about marketing!

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted February 07, 2005 22:49     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Weakling had Josh Smith from the Champs...the Fucking Champs, on guitar...check out their alubm on Frenetic, recorded under the name c4am95, it's perhaps their best album...
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 07, 2005 23:43     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
From AMG: "The band's sole recording, Dead As Dreams, barely even came out, as the original plan had been to only release one copy of the album and give it to a teenager in Europe."

Hey, you kid, yes you! Come here! Here, take this!

Talk about marketing!

Haha! that's excellent!
I shouldve thought of that!

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted February 08, 2005 06:52     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The next - aborted - idea was apparently to bury copies of the thing randomly around America.
(From the same article.)

Ideas like this - the album has to be good. I'm gonna have to track down a copy.

I've heard of "The Fucking Champs" but never anything by them. Could be worth the effort in looking for that too then.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 08, 2005 08:45     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:

Haha! that's excellent!
I shouldve thought of that!

Tell it to Argor's marketing team:

Marketing team ist krieg!!!!!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 08, 2005 08:50     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is that the marketing team? I thought THIS was my marketing team:

HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted February 11, 2005 19:32     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
weakling is my favorite black metal band, just from this one LP.
the fucking champs are cool but weakling is a masterpiece in comparison. i have the whole dead as dreams, i still listen to it a lot.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 12, 2005 05:32     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HatrossRig:
weakling is my favorite black metal band

No, this is your favorite Black Metal band: MY BAND

http://www.metalmania.net/showband.php?id=7064

http://www.geocities.com/ancient28/alchemy.html

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 12, 2005 08:10     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i do not like it.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 12, 2005 09:14     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, no and no.

YOUR favorite black metal band is ARGOR!!!

*w00t!*

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 12, 2005 13:09     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I,d also like to say that Alchemy's pretty good, man!
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 12, 2005 17:43     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, what is that quail doing in Argor's website???

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 13, 2005 05:45     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I,d also like to say that Alchemy's pretty good, man!

Thanks Skull...obviously I know we're nothing groundbreaking...but damn, you gotta play what you hold dear to your heart!

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 13, 2005 05:56     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, quite a cool-looking album cover!

...and what a great read in "Argor's" biography section:

Once in a great while, an entity mysteriously comes along and disrupts the way people have learned to appreciate music, and litterally turn it square on its side. A few achieve musical greatness while others are destined to rot in the deepest, darkest abysses of the underground. In the case of this legendary outfit, there seems to be a grim combination of both at work.
ARGOR was formed out of the ashes of a lesser known band - which shall remain nameless at this time - in 1992. Growing increasingly burnt out with the touring regimen of his former band, coupled with the over-saturation of mediocre death metal acts at the time, Lord Kallopää (The Lord for short) had a vision.

"All my peers at the time either sank deeper in cheesy death metal cartoonery, or headed straight to industrial-tinged music, and neither appealed to me", said The Lord.

After a 1992 gig with his former band in Olso, Norway, The Lord was approached by a fan who claimed to owned a record store and a small independent label.

"He goes `Yeah man... and i got a band too, called Mayhem. I'd like you to come down to Grieghallen Studios for a drink check us out` .... so i went with that dude 'cause i had nothing better to do."

That fan turned out to be Euronymus.

"So he and this other guy Varg are playing me these rough mixes of their album, and i'm sitting there getting royally blitzed. As the night went on, I thought their shit was pretty fucking rad! Then Euro sat down and said that he wanted me to sing on the album, because their singer had killed himself a year ago and they just couldnt find anyone in Norway that they liked. I was drunk out of my fucking ass anyways so i said `Sure, let's go!` They handed me the lyrics that their old singer had written and I basically did the whole album in 3 hours."

Lord Kallopää, however, had one very specific and important condition to be met.

"I dont want my name on that album. Make up some silly stage name or something."

Upon waking up with what is best described as the most utterly devastating hangover known to mankind in his Oslo hotel room, Lord had his vision.

"So i'm dying in that hotel room, puking my guts out and hopped up on PCP, and it hit me. I gotta take whatever these snotty cunts were doing and make it even better. But then, the next morning i didnt even remember how that Mayhem band sounded like anyway, so i pretty much made my own thing. I knew exactly what i wanted."

Once back in North America, The Lord phoned a former bandmate about his new extraordinary project. But first, he had to announce his band that he was leaving them behind, in the most professional manner possible.

"I told 'em to go fuck themselves."

And thus ARGOR was born. Immediately joining Lord Kallopää came B'lom Von Sinthfwah, who was extremely excited to change the face of music.

"When he told me of his plans, i was fucking stoked, man! I'm like, shit, man!", said B'lom.

ARGOR launched its first assault on metal music in March 1995 with the release of their self-tiled demo - a ritual made up of 4 anthems of dense darkness and brutality - that instantaneously won the ears of the extreme metal audience in what seemed to be an overnight success. Shortly following the demo's release, the debut album "Seven Spells of Tayol" was released through OnHele Records and immediatly because a cult phenomenon, and ARGOR was catapulted into the international spotlight and hailed as THE leader in necrogrim black metal.

The second opus, "Det Svart Alver" was released in 2001, after numerous setbacks and lineup changes. It was even rumored that ARGOR had broken up during the interim.

"Well, we broke up 666 times. It made sense.", declared B'lom.

The band is also adamant about remaining a cult icon, therefore, touring is completely out of the question. Few interviews are considered, and even fewer are granted, to the international media. However, the band understand the power of mystery, which in turn helps their image.

In the year 2004, the nucleus of Lord Kallopää and B'lom Von Sinthfwah retreated deep within the northern wastelands of the canadian tundra to write and record their new and arguably best material to date. Bearing the title "Renkaware Onweben", the album is destined to litterally destroy the hopes of other outfits attempting to reach the black metal pantheon, a position that ARGOR already and rightfully declare as its own.

The album is slated for a 2005 release

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 13, 2005 10:32     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:

haha I thought the same thing!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 13, 2005 13:00     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:

Because that bird is the earthy incarnation of Garnoth! The Ancient Elder God of EVERYTHING!!! (yes, even canned soup!!)

WORSHIP!!!!
HAIL THE QUAIL!!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 13, 2005 13:08     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcloud of Deicide:
Wow, quite a cool-looking album cover!

...and what a great read in "Argor's" biography section:

Once in a great while, an entity mysteriously comes along and [LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES] The album is slated for a 2005 release

Hehe. Comin' up with that bio took longer and more out of me than the songs. haha!

And that cover... that's actually a river near my folks' house that i took a picture of last summer sometime. I still have to explain on the website why that picture is in COLOR!! Like, OMG!! I'll come up with something like "Yah, we totally sold out".

Hehe.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 14, 2005 08:56     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, now, Argor fucking rules.

I just wanna go to an Argor gig and scream "TAYOL!!!!!!"

The website is awesome! And the song titles... oh man!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 14, 2005 22:18     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Hehe. Comin' up with that bio took longer and more out of me than the songs. haha!

Damn, was I "duped" or what?

--------------------

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted February 15, 2005 00:50     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OMFG Skul - ARGOR FUCKING RULES!! Great website, and fucking awesome tunage. You really put a lot of work into this!

I want to buy the entire back catalogue. Does ARGOR accept Paypal?

PAYPAL IST KRIEG!!

I listen to the Alchemy CD quite a bit. Love it. Legion has a cool voice.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 15, 2005 09:48     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
OMFG Skul - ARGOR FUCKING RULES!! Great website, and fucking awesome tunage. You really put a lot of work into this!

I want to buy the entire back catalogue. Does ARGOR accept Paypal?

I asked The Lord about the back catalogue and he said ...

"Who the fuck does this guy thinks we are? Whores? Dude if you werent there to buy the early stuff when it was first released, then fuck off! We dont want you as a fan. However, we're releasing a compilation of all the early stuff very soon. Thank you for the support from the very beginning!!"

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 15, 2005 12:19     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What is missing from Argor is a mascot. It would help with the band's stage prescence. I'll airship Billy immediately to Quebec. Think of the originality there...instead of a goathead on stage..you could have the real "live" deal trotting around the band as you play. Only thing, Bill kind of gets greedy when it comes to groupie action.
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 15, 2005 15:45     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
What is missing from Argor is a mascot. I'll airship Billy immediately to Quebec.

Or the gate-fold of "Goat's Head Soup" from the Stones would also work!

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan