my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Is Rock Dead? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Is Rock Dead?
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 03, 2005 08:00     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Came across this on Blubbermuth:
Thought it was interresting.

::::::

Jim Farber of the New York Daily News has issued the following report:

"Is rock dead?

Not quite. But judging from its performance on the charts — and compared to its biggest bands and trends from a few years ago — it's wheezing.

Cast your eye down 2004's Top 10-selling album list and you won't see a single new rock band. The sole hard guitar group is EVANESCENCE — a holdover from 2003. The nearest thing to a new guitar band is MAROON 5, which didn't make it on a rock song but on a soul single, "This Love", and a billowing pop ballad, "She Will Be Loved".

Broaden your view to the year's Top 20 sellers and you'll find just one other rocker — and an aging one at that — PRINCE, who gave away enough copies of his "Musicology" to place it 18th in 2004.

Rap, meanwhile, racked up five albums in the Top 20.

R&B landed the No. 1 slot with USHER's "Confessions", which outsold the No. 2 entry, from NORAH JONES, by more than 2 to 1.

Rap and country were both able to launch huge new stars. KANYE WEST and GRETCHEN WILSON each sold between 2.5 and 3 million copies of their debuts.

Only one breaking rock act, HOOBASTANK, cracked the 2 million mark, and by the skin of its teeth. And the Hoobsters managed that feat only by crossing over with an adult pop single, "The Reason". Considering that "The Reason" was the second-most-played number on radio last year (after USHER's "Yeah!"), HOOBASTANK's album should have sold many more copies.

When rock was more muscular — during the eras of grunge (mid-'90s), punk-pop (late '90s) and rap-metal (turn-of-the-century) — no such tepid pop crossover was even necessary.

What rock lacks these days is a newer band as humongous as KORN, LIMP BIZKIT, METALLICA, NICKELBACK, STAIND, BLINK 182, LINKIN PARK, COLDPLAY or CREED — not to mention the super-power-hitters of grunge, like NIRVANA, PEARL JAM and SOUNDGARDEN.

Each of those groups sold between 3 million and 10 million copies of their prime CDs.

Compare that to the typical sales of today's biggest new rock bands. LOS LONELY BOYS, VELVET REVOLVER, SWITCHFOOT, MODEST MOUSE, JET and YELLOWCARD have all sold fewer than 2 million albums. Another of the top rock albums of the last year, GUNS N' ROSES' "Greatest Hits", harkens back to past guitar glories.
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/276808p-237111c.html

::::::

What do you think?
Is Rock really Dead?
Everything seems in sad shape to me.

|  IP: Logged
Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted February 03, 2005 08:06     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is Rock Dead...Man, I fucking hope so!!!! Id be first in line at the funeral.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 03, 2005 08:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AS long as we are all still breathing rock will live!!!

WE are the people who keep rock and roll alive !!!

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 03, 2005 08:26     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rock is not dead, it just smells funny.

(ok, that's was Zappa's quote about jazz, but it's right in the subject i think...)

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 03, 2005 08:28     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So this bloke thinks 2 million copies isn't good? Maybe to "artists" who spend billions on promo videos, advertising, radio play and general mass-brainwashing. I don't think any of my favourite bands have sold anywhere near 2 million. Does that make them shit? Fuck no.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 03, 2005 10:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Number 6:
EVANESCENCE — — PRINCE-HOOBASTANK
KORN, LIMP BIZKIT, METALLICA, NICKELBACK, STAIND, BLINK 182, LINKIN PARK, COLDPLAY or CREED — like NIRVANA, PEARL JAM and SOUNDGARDEN.
today's biggest new rock bands. LOS LONELY BOYS, VELVET REVOLVER, SWITCHFOOT, MODEST MOUSE, JET and YELLOWCARD-

There's certainly no lack of "rock" stations here in Albuquerque.

Lately, for me I've been buying more old Metal that I never heard back in the late 80s and 90s. I haven't even heard of Yellowcard. "Rock" will never go away and die, you blowhard BlunderMuff a-hole.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 03, 2005 11:06     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rock isn't dead, but in the eyes of the industry's tastemakers, it is. They will put money behind the trends they think will sell. Right now, rock is not a concern to them. Perhaps in the future, but for now, we're in a dark time where half-wits with gold fronts and lip-synchers are to be revered and worshipped as "artists".

No, I'm not bitter. I'm angry.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 03, 2005 12:59     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Compare that to the typical sales of today's biggest new rock bands. LOS LONELY BOYS, VELVET REVOLVER, SWITCHFOOT, MODEST MOUSE, JET and YELLOWCARD have all sold fewer than 2 million albums.

These bands are all crap. People don't buy rock albums because they have no idea about what it's really about. Uh, I just wrote something my jazz-fanatic brother would have said... Man, the music industry has totally ruined itself.

I can't speak for other regions, but I see a real disinterest out there for music (and films for that matter), that aren't totally formula packages (strictly for easily accessable entertainment). I dunno, I think most people want more than this, but have been trained to think of art as consumable and disposable goods, available at their nearest Wal-Mart.

EDIT: Heheh, I missed something important about your post Hex... THough I agree about the similarities, I think it's a tragedy that jazz has become such an eletist genre. There are actually programs out there to encourage young people to appreciate and listen to jazz and it ain't easy for those guys (by bro has done a lot of work with JazzInAmerica.org). Seems like the final effect is that not enough new people come into the scene and it eventually stagnates.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted February 03, 2005 16:01     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Cast your eye down 2004's Top 10-selling album list and you won't see a single new rock band. The sole hard guitar group is EVANESCENCE — a holdover from 2003. The nearest thing to a new guitar band is MAROON 5, which didn't make it on a rock song but on a soul single, "This Love", and a billowing pop ballad, "She Will Be Loved".

Only one breaking rock act, HOOBASTANK, cracked the 2 million mark, and by the skin of its teeth. And the Hoobsters managed that feat only by crossing over with an adult pop single, "The Reason". Considering that "The Reason" was the second-most-played number on radio last year (after USHER's "Yeah!"), HOOBASTANK's album should have sold many more copies.

Does this represent rock? Evanescence? Darkroom 5? Hoobastench? If so, kill rock immediately please!

Actually rock is not dead, stupid peeps just don't buy it, they will buy it again when MTV tells them it's trendy again.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted February 03, 2005 16:04     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And again:

DESTROY Maroon/Darkroom 5! They could teach a Nilfisk sucking lessons.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted February 03, 2005 16:23     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had to look up "Nilfisk" on Google.

.....and then I laughed.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 03, 2005 18:37     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Is Rock Dead?

is this guy still breathing?

then, no.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 03, 2005 19:08     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Due to the appearence of Lemmy here, I propose we close this thread.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 03, 2005 19:37     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
So this bloke thinks 2 million copies isn't good? Maybe to "artists" who spend billions on promo videos, advertising, radio play and general mass-brainwashing. I don't think any of my favourite bands have sold anywhere near 2 million. Does that make them shit? Fuck no.

AMEN TO THAT, BROTHA!!!

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 03, 2005 21:49     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Due to the appearence of Lemmy here, I propose we close this thread.

Fuckin-A Alright!

*bows before Lemmy, all bloody sweaty and hot as he is!*

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 04, 2005 01:07     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really like Interpol and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs both of which somehow seemed to get radio airplay. So, no rock is still breathing...you just have to listen for it out there.
Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted February 04, 2005 01:48     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
is this guy still breathing?

then, no.

KILLED-BY-THREAD!
(guitar riff)
KILLED BY-THREAD!
(slightly longer guitar riff)

"KILLED"...BY....THREAD!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 04, 2005 04:53     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I was 15, Lemmy told me to cut my hair and get a proper job. I was gutted! But I didn't pay it any attention.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 04, 2005 08:23     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well. It seems that everyone has strong opinions about this topic. lol!

I posted this article not really in agreement with the author, but rather to see what
everyone on here would think about it.

Some of you i thought were gonna have heart attacks judging by your violent response. hahaha!

I think that the day Harry gets a haircut....is the day Rock will finally be dead.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 04, 2005 10:38     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I really like Interpol

good stuff. I gave them a listen a while back, but have yet to buy one of their discs. I've read they're both good.
[Oh shit, this thread is supposed to be DEAD!]

--------------------

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted February 04, 2005 10:48     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rock is not dead. It's here to stay.

Just ask Ozzy \m/

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted February 04, 2005 11:07     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't think of one single time in my lifetime when the rock bands selling a lot of records were actually any good. So who cares?
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 04, 2005 11:30     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rock lives on in ARGOR!!

YAH!! *pumps fist*

Uhm... ok.
*sits down*

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 04, 2005 11:50     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthony:
I can't think of one single time in my lifetime when the rock bands selling a lot of records were actually any good. So who cares?

What about U2 ?

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 04, 2005 12:19     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
What about U2 ?

"Uno, Dos, Tres, QUATORCE?!?!?"

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan