my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » New MUSIC (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: New MUSIC
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 02, 2005 08:44       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i'm always looking for cool new music and i was wondering if anybody here has come across any new bands with some excellent tunes or maybe some old bands that have been gone for a while only to return with some great new stuff.

This board has been really great so far with hooking me up with exellent new bands i would have never known about otherwise.Thanks everybody(there are too many names to mention but i would like to thank Schroeder and Nia for telling me about some excellent bands my wife really loves).

anyway for me so far it has been:
E-Force
Project:Failing Flesh
Killing Joke
Probot
Prong
Warhammer
Venom (remastered)
Voivod (boxset)
Sleater-Kinney
Porcupine Tree

IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted February 02, 2005 08:51     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Shins
Snow Patrol

PURE METAL MAYHEMMMMMM!

(or not )

|  IP: Logged
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 02, 2005 09:01       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
snow patrol-i,ve heard of it.i think my wife just bought that one.I'll have to check it out.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 02, 2005 10:08     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Alarum
Necrophagist
The Chasm
Behemoth
Canvas Solaris

Evil, you never read MY posts??? Forget about Schroed and Nia...they don't know anything about good music!!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 02, 2005 10:22     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
The Shins

Good 'ol Albuquerque band does good!

I'd have to say Meads of Asphodel, although I don't any of their stuff YET. I believe it was Lycanthropy & Evelyn who mentioned them...well, I gave them a listen at AQUARIUS RECORDS. Holy hell, that is something truly special.
And Cryptopsy, right up my, er, Alley.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 02, 2005 11:08     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snow patrol suck donkey cock. Do not listen to them. It will end in your stereo being destoyed by a baseball bat with me on the end of it. Them and that 'dogs die in hot cars' lot. Fucking shitter than fucking shit and must be wiped off the face of the planet. Cunts.
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted February 02, 2005 11:12     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 02, 2005 11:17       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm gonna check out all of these bands.Thanks guys.
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 02, 2005 13:37       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
shit,i checked out
Necrophagist
The Chasm
Behemoth
and i will pass on all 3 of those.I'm not into "Cookie Moster" vocals.
but the music was pretty good.too bad though really.
I also checked out Canvas Solaris.Do they have a singer?Both songs i downloaded there was no singing at all.I didnt care for it.Reminds me of Malmsteen "Marching Out"stuff.Not into Satriani,Vai,Malmsteen type stuff.
I did however like Alarum and will be checking it out further.
thanks

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted February 02, 2005 14:31     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bob Mould's solo stuff is great. The cool thing is that I just figured this out so I have a ton of new stuff to get. So far I only have the s/t album. It's not heavy, but just fantastic songwriting.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 02, 2005 15:18     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhh, took me a while to get into that style of singing(although the Nile guy I still can't get)but its all in how you look at it.

I have to give a major thumbs up to the new stuff from Old Man Gloom. Thanks to Cthon for the album. Check them out Evil.

C.Solaris=Malmsteen/Satch??? Uh no..sir. Yeah, all instrumental.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted February 02, 2005 17:41     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd just like to echo h's words regarding Snow Patrol and state that here is a band that surpass even INXS for breathtaking mediocrity.

That's an oxymoron, I know, but I saw them on telly and felt like gnawing my own fingers off least I ever accidentaly play something so soul destroyingly awful, bland, beige and toothache-wise.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey, I'd never be such a cad as to get in the way of your musical tastes, but fucking shame on you sir!

Or...

Excellent joke, madam!

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 02, 2005 17:59     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Deadboy & The Elephantmen (featuring Dax Riggs from Acid Bath).

go to www.skeletalcircusderails.com and hit the downloads, then audio section.

lots of cool live boots there. the Comaland stuff on there is studio recorded if thats not your bag.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 02, 2005 18:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Snow patrol suck donkey cock. Do not listen to them. It will end in your stereo being destoyed by a baseball bat with me on the end of it. Them and that 'dogs die in hot cars' lot. Fucking shitter than fucking shit and must be wiped off the face of the planet. Cunts.

But, what do you REALLY think about them!!!

Always glad to hear something I mentioned being enjoyed by others. I'm with ya on the cookie monster vocals LE.
If you like the Porcupine Tree you might wanna check out Blackfield. It's Steven Wilson from PT and Aviv Geffen who's an Israeli superstar. Wilson does most of the singing, I can best describe it as prog pop... I love the cd, very enjoyable and easy to listen to. Great lyrics, great playing, hooks-a-plenty, and the videos created for a couple of the songs are second to none.

also:
CAVE IN - "Antenna" - "Tides Of Tomorrow" - "Jupiter" all great cds

BUDGIE - from the 70's & 80's these guys released some of the most incredible and overlooked material. mix Zeppelin with Sabbath, add a touch of Rush and a pich of Dr Demento (for some of the oddest song titles ever) and you might have an idea of what they sound like.

Gov't Mule - all the releases before their bass player passed away are I N C R E D I B L E

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 02, 2005 19:06     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
best southern rock band in the world:
http://www.drivebytruckers.com/

some mp3s and a video there.

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 03, 2005 19:05     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
Deadboy & The Elephantmen (featuring Dax Riggs from Acid Bath).

go to www.skeletalcircus.com and hit the downloads, then audio section.

lots of cool live boots there. the Comaland stuff on there is studio recorded if thats not your bag.

sorry, the link is correct now if anyone is interested.

--------------------

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted February 04, 2005 00:57     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Insurrection (a local band) actually have some very good stuff over at http://www.insurrectionmetal.com in the Media section - try Vile Jester, it's catchy as fuck.

Porcupine Tree have been mentioned enough.
Mars Volta are quite good as well.

Mr. Bungle is just genius. Listen.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted February 04, 2005 01:14     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hahaha, well, browsing through the Insurrection site I have noticed a detail that might just be the first unofficial Heimdall pic (damn them paparazzi) and that detail is me with Rush shirt... just see...

http://www.mutehq.net/~insur/media/bosco2/0780.jpg

I'm somewhere to the left... ain't I grim?

--------------------

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 04, 2005 01:40     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
BUDGIE - from the 70's & 80's these guys released some of the most incredible and overlooked material. mix Zeppelin with Sabbath, add a touch of Rush and a pich of Dr Demento (for some of the oddest song titles ever) and you might have an idea of what they sound like.

Hey Schroder, any tips on finding Budgie records? I've been on the hunt for a couple years and all I've turned up Bandolier on vinyl (which I think is great!). These puppies aren't exactly all over.

Thinking I need to start a rare 1970's hard rock and prog rips thread here soon...

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 04, 2005 08:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Hey Schroder, any tips on finding Budgie records? I've been on the hunt for a couple years and all I've turned up Bandolier on vinyl (which I think is great!). These puppies aren't exactly all over.

Thinking I need to start a rare 1970's hard rock and prog rips thread here soon...

GEMM is a good site to track down BUDGIE. They just remastered and rereleased their cd catalog with bonus material. I tried to order them all from CD QUEST but they seem to be having some problems getting them.
Budgie also just released a cd of songs that didn't get put on any album and songs that were going to be used for their next album (years ago) that never got released.

Good Luck. I've got a bunch of their vinyl, mostlt purchased from record shows years ago.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 04, 2005 09:10     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heimdall:
Hahaha, well, browsing through the Insurrection site I have noticed a detail that might just be the first unofficial Heimdall pic (damn them paparazzi) and that detail is me with Rush shirt... just see...

http://www.mutehq.net/~insur/media/bosco2/0780.jpg

You're fucking scarry dude! Looks like you're gonna kill one of the musician with your laser eyes! ZZZWIF!!!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 04, 2005 10:32     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heimdall:
(damn them paparazzi)

....awesome! Paparazzi Patrol!

Check out the lights on the ceiling...is that a high school gym?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted February 04, 2005 15:45     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like Tiamat's new album "Prey".
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted February 04, 2005 15:59     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm guessing you want angry guitars, etc?
http://laserbeast.com/

"Lightning Bolt", Fucking intense, especially live. (A bit like Mogwai.)

Oh, and maybe "British Sea Power".

That's all I have to offer right now. Not especially metal. Sorry.

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted February 04, 2005 17:56     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
....awesome! Paparazzi Patrol!

Check out the lights on the ceiling...is that a high school gym?

Even worse... a church basement.

Oh, and the Insurrection singer's mother's cousin is Blacky.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan