my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Best thrash riff (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Best thrash riff
The Crippler
VoivodFan
Member # 537

posted February 01, 2005 16:32     Profile for The Crippler   Email The Crippler     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The main riff of Storming With Menace is fucking lethal, Kreator rules!!!

NP: Kreator - Terrible Certainty - Storming With Menace \m/

|  IP: Logged
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted February 01, 2005 18:37     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dream Theater - The Mirror
Pantera - Domination/This Love

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 01, 2005 20:52     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's the easiest question ever: the Angel Of Death mid-tempo riff, of course! The epitomic thrash riff.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted February 01, 2005 21:33     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Crippler:
The main riff of Storming With Menace is fucking lethal, Kreator rules!!!

NP: Kreator - Terrible Certainty - Storming With Menace \m/

I'm shocked. Great choice. I have worshipped this riff from day one. Toxic Trace is pretty fucking lethal, too. I really wish they would remaster/ remix that album.

On a related note, I spent the final 2 hours of my day today listening to the SAME riff and chorus ...over and over and over x1000. Easily one of the greatest and truly monumental riffs in the history of rock music:

::drum roll, please::

Blue Öyster Cult - E.T.I.

Just an AMAZING fucking song that is. And the chorus... I recalled several occasions; it brought back strong memories of having seen entire stadiums full of people singing along with that chorus, completely mesmerized.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted February 02, 2005 00:00     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Angel of Death" kinda set the standard for those 'wicked evil' riffs that appeared about midway into a song that sent your equalibrium into total dissaray.

I feel the same away about Megablow's "Wake up Dead," Entombed's "Drowned" Voivod's "Order of the Blackguards," Coroner's "Why it Hurts,"

AND MANY MORE!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 02, 2005 05:04     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The whole of Dimension Hatross.
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted February 02, 2005 07:32     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Must agree with Slayman, the midtempo in Angel of death rules, and since h already mentioned DH i say Destruction's 80's stuff instead. Curse the gods, Sign of fear, Invincible force etc etc etc

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 02, 2005 08:24     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
::drum roll, please::

Blue Öyster Cult - E.T.I.

I agree! Great rock'n'roll riff, with swing, although not a *thrash* riff, like it is said in the subject of this thread (PAY ATTENTION, MR. TANGENTO! YEAH YOU IN THE BACK, WITH THE DRI SHIRT!)

One of my fave: Ravenous Medicine, after the intro, the main riff, you know, the one that kicks ASS! \m/ \m/

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted February 02, 2005 09:03     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vroom:
[...] i say Destruction's 80's stuff instead. Curse the gods, Sign of fear, Invincible force etc etc etc

United we are strong
Eternal Ban
Together we will stand
Eternal BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!

Class A-1 riffs indeed, and the choruses rule too!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 02, 2005 09:15       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nuclear War
or
Tribal Convictions

wait........

.......maybe it's

Macrosolutions
to
Megaproblems

no,no wait!
it's.......

............Brain Scan

oh crap no that not it.
it has to be
Tornado.

fuck,lets just say it's the first 4 Voivod albums.

IP: Logged
Hoodlum
VoivodFan
Member # 514

posted February 02, 2005 09:49     Profile for Hoodlum   Email Hoodlum     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my favorite would be "One Nation" by Sacred Reich.
I heard the Soulfly version and they fuckin' butchered it!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 02, 2005 10:44     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For the 3rd time:

DEEEEESTRUUUUCTIOOOONNNNNNNNN.......

All, albums except for Cracked brain.
(My Sharona, sucks)

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 02, 2005 10:54     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not to forget:

Coroner: Grin and (the rest of them)
Celtic Frost: Circle of the Tyrants

--------------------

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 02, 2005 12:29     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:
That's the easiest question ever: the Angel Of Death mid-tempo riff, of course! The epitomic thrash riff.

Reign In Blood is so loaded with with awsome riffs! Goddamn! Slayer has pulled some of the coolest breakdowns and tempo-shifts since Black Sabbath.

I can't believe no one has mentioned any Exodus yet!? The H-H team are riff-monsters! Blonded By Blood alone is practically a blueprint for awsome thrash riffing if there ever was. Pirahna, Strike Of The Beast, Lesson In Violence, fuck...

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted February 02, 2005 12:37     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about Death Angel - The Ultra Violence?

Or Deathrow - Hell's Ascent. What an instrumental that is...

--------------------

Hail Santa...

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted February 02, 2005 13:37     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh dammit, forgot Welcome to hell with Venom. I love that one

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted February 02, 2005 14:04     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Obviously it's Deathsquad by Sacred Reich.

I'm really struggling not to be arrogant and abusive to you all since none of you were enlightened enough to think of it first.

(cloth-eared cunts)

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted February 02, 2005 14:27     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Guilty of Innocence - Death Angel
Battery - Metallica
Book of Blood - Armored Saint (thrash?...not sure but still great)

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 02, 2005 14:36       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Procreation(of the wicked)
IP: Logged
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted February 02, 2005 17:34     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dammit, there are so many good riffs I think it's unfair to try and choose the greatest one. I'd be more inclined to say that there are a collection of riffs out there, most already mentioned in this thread, that are just the dogs bollocks of guitar playing. There is no 'greatest riff', but a damn fine display of arse kicking guitar playing and songwriting talent.

TO THE DEATH!!!!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 02, 2005 18:03     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the correct answer is "Tornado".

(altho Warcorpse almost made me change my post, haha)

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted February 02, 2005 22:23     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
I agree! Great rock'n'roll riff, with swing, although not a *thrash* riff, like it is said in the subject of this thread (PAY ATTENTION, MR. TANGENTO! YEAH YOU IN THE BACK, WITH THE DRI SHIRT!)

You obviously glossed over the part where I said "on a related note".

Thrash riffs, you say?

First, I would add one of the ones that started it all for me:

Destruction - Bestial Invasion, many more including those already listed
Strapping Young Lad - just about everything from City, tons of other DT riffage
Napalm Death - where the hell do I start? OK, I'll go with that BRUTAL monstrosity
from Ulterior Exterior
The Accused - Psychomania, the middle riff breaks of Pounding Nails
and No Hope for Relief (Close Insight), about 1,000 others...

I also agree on Slayer RIB (hard not to) and of course the multitudes of insane Piggy riffage.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Blurrhog
VoivodFan
Member # 503

posted February 03, 2005 01:05     Profile for Blurrhog   Email Blurrhog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Time Has Come by Artillery easily
marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted February 03, 2005 03:18     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kreator - Hidden Dictator
nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted February 03, 2005 10:18     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Exodus - Bonded by Blood (anything in that album)
Kreator - People of the Lie(CSouls),Dont trust(EAgression)
CF - the begining of Visons of Mortality

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan