my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Worse album EVER (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Worse album EVER
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 01, 2005 09:43       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After listening to the new Priest album i was wondering what was the worse album in recent years that i was waiting for in anticipation.

For me it's been
Metallica-St. Anger
Metal Church-Weight of the World
Iron Maiden-Dance of Death
Judas Priest-Angel of Retribution
Slayer-God Hate us all

All have been total crap to me with all but Priest being unlistenable to me.
It very sad because 15-20 years ago these were some of my favorite bands.

IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 01, 2005 12:11     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How is "God Hates Us All" a terrible record? Sure, it's nothing special as far as Slayer albums go, but it's no piece of shit either. Please explain.

I agree about the Iron Maiden and Metallica records though I admit I was morbidly fascinated by St. Anger when I first heard it. After all, it was something spontanious by Metallica (who have grown musically conservative since becoming millionaires). Alas, in the end it's still a pile and a failure that needs to be heard to be believed. Heheh.

One of the most disapointing albums of my adult life is definitly Corrosion Of Conformity's "America's Volume Dealer". I am a huge COC fan since about 1985 (Animosity baby!), and have always loved every step of the band's evolution until this point. The band brought nothing new to the table this go 'round and the album sounds like a radio edit of their previous two releases, but the biggest offence was the crappy sounding drums which seem to suck all the remaing life outta this disc. Top that with Reed Mullen leaving the band shortly after and it just bums me out.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 01, 2005 12:55     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would really love to hear that new Metal Church. Just from looking at the album cover..its got to be one of the most miserable listening experiences in metaldom. Boy, I bet its bad.
The Crippler
VoivodFan
Member # 537

posted February 01, 2005 12:59     Profile for The Crippler   Email The Crippler     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why is Dance of Death in that list?! It's a damn good album, not Maidens best by any stretch of the imagination but DoD is certainly not one of the "worst" albums ever, IMO.
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted February 01, 2005 13:13     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's in his list because it's his opinion.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 01, 2005 13:24     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I echo x-d's sentiments about St.Anger. Shit record, but it surprised the hell outta me.

God Hates Us All, meh. All rage, no substance. Maiden's last one was lame too... ok, except maybe for Rainmaker. That was a decent tune.

I'd also like to add the new Danzig, Circle of Snakes, to LivingEvil's list.

Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted February 01, 2005 14:19     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everything Metallica, Megadeth & Anthrax have ever done. Oh and Cold Lake.
Blurrhog
VoivodFan
Member # 503

posted February 01, 2005 15:03     Profile for Blurrhog   Email Blurrhog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

I second that. except FISTFUL OF METAL is great!

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 01, 2005 15:19       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah,it's just my opinion but i would also like to add that C.O.C. album to the list.I bought that album and man was i pissed.
IP: Logged
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted February 01, 2005 15:56     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Add any Queensryche album after 'Promised Land'. Man, do they suck!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

The Crippler
VoivodFan
Member # 537

posted February 01, 2005 16:27     Profile for The Crippler   Email The Crippler     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imran X:
Everything Metallica, Megadeth & Anthrax have ever done.

Some of you on this board are fucking nuts!!!

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted February 01, 2005 17:27     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

No.

Megadeth were fine up till Countdown to Extinction, and some of the new album is pretty listenable. But between Rust In Peace and the present day they did indeed suck.

Metallica. I've never really been a fan of Kill 'em All, but Ride The Lighning and Master Of Puppets are fabulous end to end listens. Justice is weaker, but still good but it's since then that I think they wrote some of the worst music I've ever heard. I hate the black album becuase it just confirmed to me that they were prepared to sell every principle the band started out with down the river for a fast buck. Not only that but I thought the album was terrible. Load was even worse and reload should have had them executed on the spot. St. Anger isn't great but I prefer it to anything after Justice.

Anthrax.I think they were great right up to Persistence Of Time. After this they bombed and I don't own anything of it, except the new 'covers' album The Greater Of Two Evils which is actually pretty good.

An all three cases though they are killer acts live, especially Anthrax.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Have to agree with Cold Lake though, a total affront to everything Celtic Frost.

I'd add to that these albums:

Mania - Changing Times, truly awful german metal - Like Helloween but far worse.
Sacred Reich - The American Way, what a let down that was.
Entombed - Same Difference, the worst entombed album IMO.
Prophets Of Doom - Access To Wisdom, truly apalling european thrash.
Manowar - Louder Than Hell, easily the cheesiest album I've ever heard.
Carcass - Swansong, it should never have been released, I own it and it sounds nothing like the Carcass I know and love.

I'm sure there are others, but I'll need to dig them out of my LP collection!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 01, 2005 17:59     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Oh and Cold Lake.

Haha! I think Cold Lake is a forgone conclusion in any discussion of this nature.

Perhaps Angel Rat is being a little generous towards Queensryche. I'd say they peaked with the "Queen of The Ryche" EP and eveything sucks after that! Love the promo vid for the title track! Not too many promo vids out there can make Motley Crue's "Looks That Kill" vid seem kind of 'artsy'.

Anthrax is waaaay overrated, good live, but S.O.D. was the best thing ever tied to that band IMO.

Megadeth's "Killing Is My Business..." owns all and is a thrash classic! I also love Peace Sells, but they lost my interests after the original lineup split... Some ok tunes, but Mustaine is so fucking annoying after that, I can't deal.

Knickerz post prety much sums up my feelings about Metallica except that I really dig Kill 'Em All. I fucking despise the 'Black Album' though, maybe even more than the following releases because of the statement it made. Metallica could have paved the way for the thrash movement, but sold out instead. Metalheads who finger Nirvana for the beating metal took in the '90s should point some of that blame to the leaders of the genre who did nothing to nurture the scene the spawned them.

Woah, did I write that? Heh.

--------------------

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted February 01, 2005 18:04     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With Kill 'Em All it's not that I think the album is bad, far from it, at the time it really kicked the metal scene where it hurt. But I never really got into it, Ride The Lightning is where Metallica really started for me.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 01, 2005 18:16     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
True enough Knick. Ride The Lightning is a massive jump in actualized concepts and songcraft. Really Metallica's finest hour I think.

Anyone else notice that Master Of Puppets and 'Justice' essentially repeat the same structure/formula as Ride The Lightning? An early signal that the band was already showing signs of stagnation perhaps?

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 01, 2005 21:32     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Anyone else notice that Master Of Puppets and 'Justice' essentially repeat the same structure/formula as Ride The Lightning? An early signal that the band was already showing signs of stagnation perhaps?

Heh. Fast song, epic title track, mid-tempo tune, "ballad", end of side one. Fast-but-not-so-much song, hard rock influenced one (two in Justice), instrumental, thrash assault (Creeping in Ride), fin.

Nah, it may sound dull nowadays, when it's cool to hate Metallica, but I always thought of it as them perfecting the formula. Many thrash bands recorded the same song ten times per album with slightly different lyrics and titles, why couldn't they do that?

Back to the topic:

St. Anger - I think it's an okay album, but I agree it was overhyped. A brave move, though, after two "commercially safe" studio albums.

Brave New World + Dance Of Death - It's hard to understand all this hysteria about them here in Brasil. All heaviness is gone, Maiden could have ten guitarrists and Steve would still be above everything. Bah.

Tempo Of The Damned - It's no big secret that Gary Holt's dream is to be in a metalcore band, in the vein of Skinlab or Killswitch Engage, so I'll always look at this Fabulous Disaster ripoff as sellout.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 02, 2005 02:22     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
KISS - The Elder

I know it sold good in the states. I think you were up for it but here overseas everyone was expecting a loud album after their discoshit alboms Unmasked and Dynasty. I was shocked when i heard it at first and it grew on me only after i had layed it down for 15 years or so. When i bought the thing on cd i started liking it.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 02, 2005 08:14     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Crippler:
Some of you on this board are fucking nuts!!!

Hehehe, welcome aboard! *evil laughter*

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 02, 2005 08:16     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
KISS - The Elder

I know it sold good in the states. I think you were up for it but here overseas everyone was expecting a loud album after their discoshit alboms Unmasked and Dynasty. I was shocked when i heard it at first and it grew on me only after i had layed it down for 15 years or so. When i bought the thing on cd i started liking it.

It didnt sell. I think it's still the only old KISS album that's not even certified Gold. I love the album, tho. It's got its place when the right mood hits.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 02, 2005 19:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Elder is my favorite KISS album, it's just totally different than the other releases and not in a stupid "Unmasked/Dynasty" way. Just good songs good playing. Maybe because they had to stay focused on the movie and it's themes, but I thought it's their most cohesive album, and it's usually the one KISS cd I grab if I want to hear KISS.

I gotta say, I'm liking the new Judas Priest cd that I downloaded. It certainly smokes Turbo and Ram It Down. They put a good variety of tunes on there that could fit anywhere in their long career. Some total metal, some pop metal, some a bit like early JP... I like it. What were you guys expecting it to sound like anyway?

Halford still has the vocal range to devastate your eardrums. He's a fuckin metal god, for sure. Best thing they've done in a l o n g time.

I will agree with the Dance Of Death, and let me toss in No Prayer For The Dying, and I don't need to even bring up the shit they did with Blaze... that's a given.

--------------------

yawn

Blurrhog
VoivodFan
Member # 503

posted February 02, 2005 21:46     Profile for Blurrhog   Email Blurrhog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blahhh I never ever cared for Megadeth, to me it sounds like cheesy riffs over top of an even worst vocalist with mid paced drums. To one there own.

Metallica I also have never been to much of a fan of except for a couple of songs off of their early material (hit the lights, trapt under ice, for whom... etc.) but to me they were always kinda a weak thrash band. Bands of the time (Slayer, Voivod, etc) always did alot more for me then Metallica ever could. I don't have much respect for em at all even since day one because they had a ''cheesey'' feel to em. Maybe im nuts but whatever.

As for anthrax they kinda lost me after Spreading due to their one day were metalheads, then skaters, then rappers, etc. Once again songs of certain albums r great but they didnt do much.

I guess im just a VOIVOD freak but to me they were always the fastest and sickest thrash band of their time and thats what thrash is all about!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted February 03, 2005 13:35     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, I don't know. Cold Lake is a grower.

Most of you are metal fans, arn't you? Then you'll be no stranger to the art of 'Embracing the Cheese'. Do you remember the first time you figured out you were different than all the other kids, not quite 'getting' Huey Lewis & the News? It rocked, sure, but it didn't go far enough!

Now: relive that moment when you tried something that you'd previously turned your nose up at - break the Cheese Barrier and a whole world of great music on FM radio awaits!

Those of you still in your twenties, you might wanna wait a few years yet. Those of you in your teens - fuckaaaavv ye bastard youngans!

(hope you don't mind but I cut and pasted this from an earlier post I made on the Pride forum I visit often)

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 03, 2005 20:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To those of you saying you don't like Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, SLAYER etc... what the fuck were you listening to in the 80's when thrash hit the scene? These WERE THE only bands for a couple years that put out thrash, untill 10 million other bands who were mostly imitators of the top 4 were signed.

Are you too young to have been listeniong to thrash back then or couldn't you turn off your Journey records?

Curious minds want to know.

I can understand if you were too young and when you started getting into metal there were thousands of other bands to listen to, or you found out about Metallica by first listening to LOAD.

These bands are legends of thrash, no if ands, or buts, about it.

--------------------

yawn

Blurrhog
VoivodFan
Member # 503

posted February 03, 2005 21:00     Profile for Blurrhog   Email Blurrhog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
To those of you saying you don't like Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, SLAYER etc... what the fuck were you listening to in the 80's when thrash hit the scene? These WERE THE only bands for a couple years that put out thrash, untill 10 million other bands who were mostly imitators of the top 4 were signed.

Well lemme see here: Iron Angel, Voivod, Bathory, Sacrifice, Agent Steel, Slayer, etc. And thats not true about how they were the only ones. Im 36 and could easily find other bands besides those at anytime. Sure Metallica and Anthrax were big names but there was soo much better underground stuff imo that was just as equal or better!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 04, 2005 09:22     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

Are you too young to have been listeniong to thrash back then or couldn't you turn off your Journey records?

Curious minds want to know.

I can understand if you were too young and when you started getting into metal there were thousands of other bands to listen to, or you found out about Metallica by first listening to LOAD.

These bands are legends of thrash, no if ands, or buts, about it.

A-MEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!

(Can I have a halellujah?)

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan