my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Do Video Games Contribute To Childrens Anti-Social Behaviour ? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Do Video Games Contribute To Childrens Anti-Social Behaviour ?
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted January 25, 2005 19:26     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Made me think, it came up in some conversation, somone asked whether
children are more troublesome and hyper
than in years past ...

Then I saw this TV ad for a video game where
some guys in an alley are ganging up on a
guy for no reason and beating him up.

So some of you people have kids, whaddya think?

|  IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 25, 2005 19:54     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i know playing Tecmobowl a decade ago sure makes me hate the shitty football players we have nowadays.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted January 26, 2005 01:12     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Only if you are playing GORF. Galaga, Galaxian, Phoenix, and Radar-Scope (who else remember's THAT ONE) players all turned out a-ok.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 26, 2005 02:40     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Exactly the same way that comic books "corrupted children", movies "corrupted children", rock n' roll "corrupted children"...

In other words, no. Laziness, maybe.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted January 26, 2005 02:45     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It looks kinda gitty aiming a mouse at people.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted January 26, 2005 04:10     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You turned out quite the troubled guy Gorf. So my answer would be yes.
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted January 26, 2005 12:19     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now wait a minute here folkes !

Your not taking this debate seriously.

How else can one account for increasingly hyper or nervous children ?

If its not Mad Cow disease, it must be something else in the environment.

Are these kids really Koo Koo for Cocoa Puffs?

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 26, 2005 14:16     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hold on a minute, did you mean to ask, "Do Voivod Playing Games with their Loyal Fanbase Contribute to their Anti-Social Behavior?"

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 26, 2005 14:41     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorf:
How else can one account for increasingly hyper or nervous children ?

If its not Mad Cow disease, it must be something else in the environment.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 26, 2005 14:51     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not sure Gorfs hypothosis should be disregarded out of hand, as is one's gut feeling.

There is a bit of a difference between Space Invaders (shot 'I's at the scruffy pixellated icons that represent hordes of emotionless aliens) and a game like Postal 2 (set fire to the Arab, cut his head off then piss on him).

It's not really computer games we're talking about here but entertainment in general - consider the effect Gangsta Rap has on white middle-class adolescent males - play them some Benny Goodman Orchestra and it's Happy Days! Play them Fuck tha Police and it's "skinny honkey buys a small Chinese handgun and pretends he's a black tough down a the mall".

This is on the wrong part of the VVF forum, isn't it?

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 26, 2005 15:10     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I only like to play Racing Games.
Like Formula 1, Rally Car, or BTCC.
Maybe that explains why i drive too fast on the highway and see all the other cars as my competition.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted January 26, 2005 16:56     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evelyn K Helicopter:
I'm not sure Gorfs hypothosis should be disregarded out of hand, as is one's gut feeling.

There is a bit of a difference between Space Invaders and a game like Postal 2 (set fire to the Arab, cut his head off then piss on him).

This is on the wrong part of the VVF forum, isn't it?

No this is not political, so its in the right place.

But yes Emelyn, my point EZZACTLY.

I myself don't own a video game, but I played my friends SIPHON FILTER with the
electric zap controller that delivers a
jolt when you get killed.

It made me BATTY, extremely BATTY!

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 26, 2005 17:06     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No.

If it did then I should be one of the UK's worst violent offenders. I've played most of the sickest and most violent games out there but I don't have a criminal record, nor have I committed any violent act except in self defence, and even then using the minimum force necessary to calm the situation.

I think the problem is down to a lack of discipline from the parents. Kids need the guiding hand that only parents can provide for them. You will find in the vast majority of cases that involve extreme violence that the perpetrator has a history of family problems. I would always look here first because acts of domestic violence and abuse towards the wife/husband or the kids themselves have a seismic effect on how they develop.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 26, 2005 17:52     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knickerzohnonnof:
If it did then I should be one of the UK's worst violent offenders.

This is a common answer and it's not really good enough - this is assuming the question means "video games WILL make you agro-prone" rather than "video games could make certain cretins predisposed to violence have those tendencies aggrivated by playing fucking Hitman 2 all day".

You see the difference? The feverant anti-sematic press in early 20th Century Austria didn't make EVERY Austrian lad a Nazi, but it can't have helped Gentile-Zionist relations, can it?

Anyway:

quote:
Originally posted by Knickerzohnonnof:
I think the problem is down to a lack of discipline from the parents.

Now that is a good point. However, this is leaning towards Nurture rather than Nature, and surely exposure to harsh FPS games comes under the former?

I personally believe that the upbringing, while vitally important, isn't the whole story - there must be some genetic predisposition to violence as well.

Saying that, this isn't really my field.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 26, 2005 19:06     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Emlyn has it right there, the problem is of course a combination of both upbringing and genetic dispositions. In the case of violent tendencies, it's more likely an inherited trait which can be exacerbated by lifetime experiences.

Videogames, like music (remember Marilyn Manson and KMFDM getting blamed for Columbine?) might act as stimuli which bring these urges into the forefront - also, if the child is exposed to a lot of these situations from an early age, there's a danger of the line between reality and fiction becoming blurred. The phenomenon of being "inured to violence".

That said, there is more violence in movies and television than there are in videogames and such. Parents potentially also have a tighter control over what their kids play than what they watch, because they have to buy them in the first place.

It's also worth noting that the most violent games, like the most violent films, are usually banned from being sold to non-adults. Kids who are too young simply should not be playing them, same as you wouldn't show them a violent movie. But it's the parent's choice, ultimately.

Finally, we must remember that for every nutter who plays a game, sees a film or whatever and flips out with a knife, there are thousands more who can deal with such things without problems.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted January 27, 2005 13:52     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The way I see it, it's not that video games make kids more 'anti-social' directly like some kid is gonna necessarily go pound some infant after playing Mortal Kombat, its that the games, I think make children more hyper, more wound up, so that they have ADD.

Kids seem not only to have less of a attention span when it comes to listening
to adults, but seem to lack patience to learn and have less self-control thus leading to 'anti-social' actions like fighting, or mouthing off to teachers and adults, or fighting.

Just a theory...

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 27, 2005 14:02     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Two words: Bad parenting.

I rest my case.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted January 28, 2005 12:00     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well. I work in the video games industry and If there is a geneeral disposition to the sort of people who also do, I could well believe that we're contributing to the moral decline of "today's youth".

It's us who're are the guinea pig generation testing these things on ourselves. My gut instinct tells me that we probably are wiring in some deep neurological and socialogical changes into the little little skip-rats who play these things endlessly...

but the chances are, most of them will most likely just grow up (wrongly) believing it to be a good choice of career....

bastards.

Sorry.

It's been that sort of week.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 28, 2005 12:36     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Hold on a minute, did you mean to ask, "Do Voivod Playing Games with their Loyal Fanbase Contribute to their Anti-Social Behavior?"

Their anti-social behaviour or ours??

Ah.. can't wait to see e-force. hope i can smuggle in me camera

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 28, 2005 12:40     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Re this 30 questions thingy.. who thinks up the questions???
Seeing as in early interview i'm sure Away says something about them not being for or against nuclear war, just interested in technological aspect of it all.. Then in more recent interview something along the lines of we've always been crying out against nuclear war..
?? perhaps i am mistaken? but if his lordship can't get his story straight, wot hope is there 4 the rest of us?? not that i would dare to insinuate that perhaps he sometimes talks out his arse

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 28, 2005 12:44     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
on the subject of hyper children, think it probably also has a lot to do with e-numbers & junk food

--------------------

String em up

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted January 28, 2005 15:48     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I stopped playing video games when I turned 10 after having played nothing but Atari 2600 games. This explains why I have grown into an adult who is comprised of exactly 23 pixels of varying primary colors and speak in monotone bleeps.
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 28, 2005 16:01     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, nice one DLCM

HV, there is a lot of truth in that in my opinion. One thing that has changed massively over the last 20-30 years is food production and the additives put in food. I am firmly of the belief that some of these chemicals are harmful to us - Tartrazine is a classic that was found to cause hyperactivity in children. Monosodium Glutamate has been shown in studies to increase risk of stomach cancer, yet food companies are still allowed to use these ingredients. Processed food is full of things our bodies don't need and I think that we, and especially our children are suffering as a result.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 28, 2005 18:13     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aspartame is a particularly nasty food additive that springs to mind. Has been linked to 97 different symptoms, including loss of taste, headaches, diarrhoea and stomach cancer. When tested on mice, it rotted their brains, quite literally. Nice stuff.

It was banned from production until Reagan's administration said it was perfectly okay. Most people know it as "NutraSweet", which is a delightfully cynical name.

Honestly speaking, there is so much shit in our food these days that it would make many people's heads spin, if they took the time to research what all those funny numbers and long words actually mean.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted January 28, 2005 19:05     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the kinds of pollution and additives you are talking about is something that causes physical, organic illness like cancer or muscular dystrophy.

Children who are all of a sudden hyper and uncontrollable would seem to be more related to a behavioral disorder which might be caused by a classical or operant conditioning.

I mean, society has always had a certain amount of social ills, but the frequency of
ADHD in kids that either stress or an inability to cope might be caused by learned
behavior.

To the person who said" "bad parenting"
might have a point in that parents are too
tired to punish kids physically like we got 20-25 years ago.

I always got whacked, when I did something.
Kids don't seem to get whacked anymore.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan