my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Recommend me some Rush...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recommend me some Rush...
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted January 21, 2005 05:47     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What are must-haves? I only have one compilation and I like those seventies songs best (Fly By Night, Freewill, Limelight...). It's not like they have only 2 albums out.
 |  IP: Logged
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted January 21, 2005 06:10       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The whole Fly By Night album is an excellent album and 2112 is pretty good too.i havent heard any other albums so thats all i can recommend.
I just picked up Fly By Night Remastered and it sounds excellent.

IP: Logged
Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted January 21, 2005 07:22     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any album before Presto (1989) is good, depending on what period you prefer. the first ones are more hard rock, 2112, hemispheres and farewell to kings are more Progressive Rock, permanent waves and moving pictures are 80's rock with more keyboard.

They're all very good or excellent. But I don't like any of them since roll the bones.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 21, 2005 07:39     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anything and everything EXCEPT "Test For Echo".

Rush always goes through phases where they stay with the same style for a few years and then try something different, yet still sounding like Rush. That's what I like about them. I've enjoyed each phase of there carreer and look forward to more.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 21, 2005 09:03     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tend to agree with Schroeder. Anyway, until Test for Echo, their "phases" lasted exactly for 4 studio albums, then a live one and a new phase. First four albums, then "All the world is a stage", next four albums and then "Exit Stage Left", and so on. My favourite phase, personally, is the second one (from Farewell to Kings to Moving Pictures). Also the heaviest.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted January 21, 2005 10:17     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can only judge by the compilation I have and so far I like the classic rock stuff better than the keyboardy 80's stuff. This is going to cost a lot of money. They released tons of albums.
Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted January 21, 2005 10:41     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Their best era IMO is everything they done from «A Farewell To Kings» to «Signals».

And my faves among all their stuff are: 2112, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures and Signals.

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 21, 2005 11:13     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The best rush album ever...is theyre first one.
Good rockin album with lots of energy.
'Working Man' came from that one and is still played more here in Texas than any other Rush song.

Fly by Night is great Album too.

By all means be sure to get Hemispheres.

Radman
VoivodFan
Member # 375

posted January 21, 2005 11:50     Profile for Radman   Email Radman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Definately check out "A Farewell To Kings" and "Caress of Steel".Those and "Signals" are my favorites.

--------------------

Hate your enemies
Save your friends
Find your place
Speak the truth

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 21, 2005 12:05     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cant go wrong with Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. Start with those and take it from there.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 21, 2005 14:32     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to say that the last proper album (Vapour Trails) is really good - it took about a year to grow on me though. Closer to 'classic' Rush than anything they've done post-1978. The songs sound great live, but then they even managed to make some Test For Echo stuff sound ok too.

Jesus, you picked a real thread topic here, guidon. Put 12 die-hard Rush fans on a forum and see how quickly it turns politely confrontational!

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted January 21, 2005 16:24     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the easiest listen would be Moving Pictures. It would probably require the least amount of "getting it" time.
Having said that, Hemispheres is way high on my list of favorite Rush albums. But you can't go wrong with any of the others mentioned like Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves, Signals. Just awesome albums.

And Schroed, you're my bro', but I never understood your disdain for Test for Echo. While not my favorite by any means, there are a couple of kick ass tracks on that album. Some of the best Lifeson riffs in my opinion. Time and Motion, Virtuality, Driven, Test for Echo? They each have some strong moments. Maybe it's because I'm a guitar player. While not my favorite rush era, I think Lifeson's guitar sound was best on Counterparts and Test for Echo. Stick it Out would hang with any of Rush's best material.

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted January 21, 2005 17:15     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like Different Stages. Yes it's a live album, but it covers their entire career (through Test for Echo), and I think they're at their best live anyway. 3 cds, one of 'em a "classic" recording from way back when. Even 2112 in its entirety, which they almost never do live.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted January 21, 2005 18:02     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 21, 2005 18:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What I hate about TEST 4 ECHO is the sub par lyrics. "Net girl, net boy... blah blah blah..." I expected much more from Peart's pen. I do love the track Driven and a couple other's but as far as RUSH is concerned it remains my least favorite.

I Love COUNTERPARTS, great album, great lyrics, and the band shreds it up. I was floored from day one on that one, and really liked how they changed their style.

As far as the 80's era, I play POWER WINDOWS all the time.

Honestly Guidon, you gonna have to buy ALL of them

--------------------

yawn

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted January 22, 2005 04:47     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, now I wish that they only released 5 albums.
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 22, 2005 10:51     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anything from 'A Farewell To Kings' up 'til 'Grace Under Pressure' is great.

And yeah, I love 'Counterparts' too.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted January 22, 2005 23:46     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How did I miss this topic??

My answer is : All of em. Every single fucking one of 'em. But then again, they're my favourite band.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 23, 2005 00:48     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
up 'til 'Grace Under Pressure' is great.

Ditto, Bitch!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 23, 2005 01:16     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am mostly with the majority here, in that I believe Rush peaked between 'Farewell to Kings' and 'Signals'. I personally cannot recommend anything from era 1, however. It all sounds way too dated to me, and I find Geddy's voice around that time period to be harsh, grating and sometimes downright unlistenable.

I can't say much for or against anything after 'Signals', but this only because I lost interest after being bitterly disappointed with 'Grace Under Pressure' and 'Power Windows'. That said, you certainly cannot go wrong with the 2003 DVD 'Rush in Rio'. What a MONSTER concert that must have been to attend.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 24, 2005 14:15     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This thread rules. You ask for recommendations and virtually every album is mentioned. lol!

I love all the phases, but the newer stuff is probably what I am least keen on. Test For Echo is good, especially Driven. Counterparts is great. I'm not that fond of Diaper Trails, but I think I need to listen a few more times. I love Presto.

The '80's synth stuff is way cool. Signals and Grace Under Pressure rule. GUP is probably my fave Rush album ever.

Classic Rush is...well, classic! You can't go wrong with albums like Caress Of Steel, A Farewell To Kings, or Fly By Night.

Moving Pictures is in a class of it's own. Probably one of the best known records by any Canadian group (other than that bitch Celine or that twat Adams).

Coming from a very biased Canadian fan the only shitty tune Rush has ever released is Roll The Bones. Absolute shite. But the rest of the album rocks. So now you know what you need to do guidon - go out any purchase the entire Rush discography!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 24, 2005 14:58     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Coming from a very biased Canadian fan the only shitty tune Rush has ever released is Roll The Bones. Absolute shite.

Bah! You must be insane! Roll The Bones (the tune) rules!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 24, 2005 16:08     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jack -- relax.
Get busy with the facts.
No zodiacs or almanacs,
No maniacs in polyester slacks.
Just the facts.
Gonna kick some gluteus max.
It's a parallax -- you dig?
You move around
The small gets big. It's a rig.
It's action -- reaction --
Random interaction.
So who's afraid
Of a little abstraction?
Can't get no satisfaction
From the facts?
You better run, homeboy --
A fact's a fact
From Nome to Rome, boy.

What's the deal? Spin the wheel.
If the dice are hot -- take a shot.
Play your cards. Show us what you got --
What you're holding.
If the cards are cold,
Don't go folding.
Lady Luck is golden;
She favors the bold. That's cold.
Stop throwing stones --
The night has a thousand saxophones.
So get out there and rock,
And roll the bones.
Get busy!

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted January 24, 2005 21:08     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, the 80's synth stuff ist krieg.

But if you want to know more about them buy the new DVD (Rush In Rio), it's amazing. Then get Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and/or Hemispheres, and maybe A Farewell To Kings.

Then buy their complete back catalogue.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 25, 2005 08:43     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Jack -- relax.
Get busy with the facts.
No zodiacs or almanacs,
No maniacs in polyester slacks.
Just the facts.
Gonna kick some gluteus max.
It's a parallax -- you dig?
You move around
The small gets big. It's a rig.
It's action -- reaction --
Random interaction.
So who's afraid
Of a little abstraction?
Can't get no satisfaction
From the facts?
You better run, homeboy --
A fact's a fact
From Nome to Rome, boy.

What's the deal? Spin the wheel.
If the dice are hot -- take a shot.
Play your cards. Show us what you got --
What you're holding.
If the cards are cold,
Don't go folding.
Lady Luck is golden;
She favors the bold. That's cold.
Stop throwing stones --
The night has a thousand saxophones.
So get out there and rock,
And roll the bones.
Get busy!

YO! Get busy!

Seriously, i think the best Rush is the trilogy 2112-Farewell-Hemispheres-Permanent Waves-Moving Pictures. Ok it's a trilogy of five albums, but I can't count, ok? So shut up.

And Farewell to Kings has the best guitar sound ever...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan