my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Who Skipped Probot ? (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Who Skipped Probot ?
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 07, 2005 12:44     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved the Probot cd.... still do, a year later.

RED WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!"(*&(!*/(*"&/(*!&"(*!!!!!!!11111111eleven

|  IP: Logged
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 07, 2005 12:55     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
eleven

HAHA!

--------------------

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted January 07, 2005 16:45     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuclear infusion:

Wow, you are really cheating yourself out of some other really good songs...

Well I am sure we could go on and on about stuff that we might think anyone else may be cheating themselves out of, but truthfully, it takes me a while to warm up to new things (music and otherwise), plus I am a big-time procrastinator! And unlike others on this forum who actively seek out new music, I usually come across new music by chance or by repeated ( ) recommendations from other people (Schroeder - LOVE those PORCUPINE TREE guys!!), although even after all the discussion here about Probot, I still haven't had the inclination to listen to it. I would also include the fact that I wasn't really a hugefan of any of the artist on the record in the first place except, of course, Voivod. I do like DRI, COC and King Diamond so maybe one day I'll get around to listening to it.

Until then, I'll keep listening to The Victims Family .....sorry, couldn't resist!!!

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 07, 2005 17:19     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i wonder how many people would have liked Probot if Dave Grohl hadnt been involved with it?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 07, 2005 17:55     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, X-D and I live in/near Seattle...so it's safe to say that we're both "GRUNGERS"

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 07, 2005 18:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
i wonder how many people would have liked Probot if Dave Grohl hadnt been involved with it?

Well at least it wasn't Jamey Jasta - the blowhard.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted January 07, 2005 19:15     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
recommendations from other people (Schroeder - LOVE those PORCUPINE TREE guys!!)

Same here!

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 07, 2005 19:19     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Well at least it wasn't Jamey Jasta - the blowhard.

haha.

fuck that guy in the eye.

haha.

--------------------

Blurrhog
VoivodFan
Member # 503

posted January 07, 2005 19:44     Profile for Blurrhog   Email Blurrhog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jamey Jasta there is another joke. I dont care if Dave Grohl or Tiny Tim put together the project. Its just stay true to your roots especially in a shitty state of metal such as today. And dont claim to love something that you never really did and make a metal cd to proof it.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 07, 2005 19:56     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blurrhog:
I dont care if Dave Grohl or Tiny Tim put together the project.

and on that note, let's all get fucking wasted!

It's Friday!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 07, 2005 20:39     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
aaah poor old grohl.. it's not as if he went & killed a bunch of people or something is it
forgot about that Red War song, that's a good 'un

--------------------

String em up

Blurrhog
VoivodFan
Member # 503

posted January 07, 2005 21:57     Profile for Blurrhog   Email Blurrhog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TINY TIM RIP

"We walk through the rose bushes, holding hands and wondering caressly"

there's a talented dude there! lol

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 08, 2005 07:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:

I don't think Grohl is the reason this cd is popular. As a matter of fact, I'm sure most Foo Fighter fans hate the cd and hate the fact that he spent so much time on the project. I (and I'm sure most people) bought it because of all the other people who appeared on it. Grohl was just the guy who "had a dream" to create the thing. The cool thing is that he let each singer write the lyrics, and help with the tunes. It was more like DG joined 12 different bands, and they all appear on the one cd.

--------------------

yawn

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 08, 2005 08:13     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I think the whole thing was a good idea, luckily Grohl is in the position where he could get everyone together & do this. It's probably got a lot of people into artists they might not have known about before.

--------------------

String em up

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 09, 2005 18:27     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I don't think Grohl is the reason this cd is popular. As a matter of fact, I'm sure most Foo Fighter fans hate the cd and hate the fact that he spent so much time on the project. I (and I'm sure most people) bought it because of all the other people who appeared on it. Grohl was just the guy who "had a dream" to create the thing. The cool thing is that he let each singer write the lyrics, and help with the tunes. It was more like DG joined 12 different bands, and they all appear on the one cd.

maybe i should have phrased that as "i wonder how many people wouldnt have hated this if they didnt know Grohl was behind it?" ...haha........kinda more along the lines of what i meant.

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 10, 2005 07:04     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dull music is dull music no matter who produces it. Apart from a couple of tracks, Probot was dull.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 12, 2005 13:11     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just a note about the "Dave-Grohl-wasn't-even-into-metal-in-the-Nirvana-days" debate.

I was reading a rock mag at lunchtime, and there was an old Nirvana pic with Grohl wearing a Sepultura hat (a tuque, if you prefer).

There, I had to say it. Discuss. (Or don't.)

Radman
VoivodFan
Member # 375

posted January 12, 2005 18:11     Profile for Radman   Email Radman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nirvana's final photo session.Paris,France.February 13,1994.Dave wears a Sepultura Hat for the entire photo shoot.At that point,he was campaigning heavily for the band to open for Nirvana sometime during their summer tour.Probably for Lollapolooza.Apparently,Krist was also in favour of this happening.Too bad things went to hell like 3 weeks later....
This would have fucking ruled.

As it was,they ended up opening for Pantera for thier tour.Which I got to see.

--------------------

Hate your enemies
Save your friends
Find your place
Speak the truth

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 15, 2005 03:21     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got to talk to Dave Grohl at length about Voivod after the Foo Fighters show here in N.O. last May. The man is very genuine and very cool. Knows alot more about "metal" than you'd think.

I love the Foo Fighters & Voivod, as well as the Probot CD. The songs on that disc are exactly what they are supposed to be. In my opinion, it's detractors are dellusional.

I spoke to Ben from Soilent Green at the Fu Manchu show here last month. He also likes the CD (although slightly disappointed with Tom G's performance).

I'm not sure why so many are down on Dave Grohl. It may not be the #1 album for 2004, but it's alot better than most of the other crap that passes for metal these days.

I've been away for a while. Coming back, it surprises me how elitist and closed-minded some Voivod fans sound. It's sad.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 15, 2005 08:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey NOTHINGFACE, welcome back!!!

Maybe people don't like Grohl, because of his assosiation with Nirvana, or the Foos are too pop oriented for them... not me, the guys a genius and writes great tunes, and brought together an album load of my favorite singers who I hadn't heard anything new from in a while, and introduced to me a handfull of vocalists I really hadn't heard before. I wonder if peoples opinions would have been different if this was a project with Lomardo instead of Grohl???

nice to have another open mind back on the forum

--------------------

yawn

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 15, 2005 09:03     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As I've been saying, I think it's more a case of "would it have been better received if most of the tracks weren't so dull".
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 15, 2005 11:18     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Maybe people don't like Grohl, because of his assosiation with Nirvana, or the Foos are too pop oriented for them...

Not unlike other underground music fans, most metalheads tend to condemn an artist for life, just because he makes money out of his music.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 15, 2005 14:21     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know, I think most would agree that he did a good job on the last Killing Joke record.
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted January 15, 2005 14:55     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think he did a fine job with Probot, especially the Lee Dorrian and Wino tunes are great. Just imagine the fun he must have had doing it

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 15, 2005 20:18     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vroom:
I think he did a fine job with Probot, especially the Lee Dorrian and Wino tunes are great. Just imagine the fun he must have had doing it

Shit, Grohl probably thought he was dreaming when all his childhood heroes said "Yes. I'll sing and play on your album"

A metalheads wet dream come true, for sure.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan