my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Who Skipped Probot ? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Who Skipped Probot ?
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted January 05, 2005 20:07     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I for one.

What other VVfan'ers skipped buying the disc?

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 05, 2005 20:11     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WHY wouldn't you buy this cd?

It's freakin great, and features a whos who of the classic underground metal singers of the 80's. I love the album.

--------------------

yawn

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 05, 2005 20:17     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wouldn't buy it but burned a copy of it, the Snake one is the best track on it!! Although the Cronos one was pretty good too I thought. I bought the 7" of thatfor the artwork really though (bumlick bumlick).
Still.. I bought Entombed/Left Hand Path when it came out just cos I liked the artwork, I'd never heard of them.. & to this day it's still one of my favourite albums.
The Tom G. one sounded totally like Apollyon Sun & absolutely nothing like Frost.. but still ok.
Anyone got the Apollyon Sun/God Leaves e.p?? Way better than the album

--------------------

String em up

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted January 05, 2005 20:39     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bought it. Don't think it's a top 10 of 2004 album, but it wasn't bad. Definitely some good songs on it. Why do you ask?

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Blurrhog
VoivodFan
Member # 503

posted January 05, 2005 20:55     Profile for Blurrhog   Email Blurrhog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dave Grohl doing a metal album think about it. All the songs suck xcept of course for the Snake track. But u had the right idea of skipping it as so did i!
Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted January 05, 2005 21:21     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not a top 10 album 2004 for me. But really worth bying. The art work is great some song better than other ... on the fly I like the song with Cronos, the one with the DRI singer, COC, Snake, Lemmy. A good hommage to old school metal. It will educate alot of people. All in all a good thing.

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 06, 2005 03:13     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't skip it. Dave Grohl really outdid himself on this one...great idea and great for bringing back oldschool to the newschool!

It's in my top 10 for 2004

--------------------

nell
VoivodFan
Member # 171

posted January 06, 2005 05:43     Profile for nell   Email nell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No way, man - that cd is worth it just for the Wino track and that middle bit in 'ice cold man'. the snake track is cool for a minute until it turns into a foo fighters song. farnf!
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 06, 2005 06:31     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bought it the day it came out. Love it. Love 80's metal overall.

Keep playing songs 8 & 9.

Celtic Frost & Voivod. The two bands i loved the most during the 80's

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 06, 2005 07:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blurrhog:
Dave Grohl doing a metal album think about it. All the songs suck xcept of course for the Snake track. But u had the right idea of skipping it as so did i!

what the hell do you mean by that?

you obviously don't know Grohl's background. he grew up on the east coast (virginia, i think) in hardcore, metal bands, before he flew to the west to become a legend in Nirvana, he was in a band called SCREAM. Don't dis the man... he's done a lot of good for the old metal community with the Probot project. Ya gotta give him credit for this project which took years to finish. He easily could have done another cd or 2 as the Foo Fighter during that time and sold millions, but he stayed with the project until it was complete.

Seems like a cool honest guy to me, and I've enjoyed the majority of the Foo Fighters material... the first 2 releases are still among my favs.

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 06, 2005 10:56     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really dig the Probot album, pretty much the whole thing. Mixing a Kim Thayil guitar solo with King Diamond!? Who would think that would ever happen? Love it! I'd probably say the Tom Warrior track is the weakest of the bunch (unfortunately).

As for Grohl... Schroeder pretty much summed up how I feel. I might also add that Grohl has pretty much added an element of heaviness and class to anything he has contributed drums to, just listen to the last Killing Joke album, fucking brrilliant! Looking forward to the new NIN as well.

The metalheads against Nirvana/grunge backlash is so ill-founded it kinda pisses me off. It was hair-metal that hurt the scene in the early '90's, not these guys! I know, I grew up in this 'to-be-called-grunge' scene and everybody here that was listening to Nirvana, The Melvins, and Soundgarden, were all Celtic Frost, Voivod, and Slayer fans too. These's a funny interview out there with Grohl mentioning that Kurt Cobain somehow envisioned Nirvana as a cross between Sonic Youth and Celtic Frost. Heh!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 06, 2005 11:15     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bothered Probot quite a bit when it came out. Love the entire disc, even Jack Black's song...which reminds me that tune should be in the Comedic Metal Lyrics cuz it's funny as fuck.
I'd still maintain Snake's track as my least fave on the disc. I know I know, snicker snicker. And would say my fave is the Trouble-ized song.
All in all, Grohl is cool with me and turned me onto bands I'd never really listened to for one reason or another.
X-D, I love that Tom G. Warrior tune, I don't know why, something about it gives me a major hard-on.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 06, 2005 11:50     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I listened to it, but I didn't buy it. Cronos, Lee Dorrian, Lemmy and Snake tracks were the only ones I really liked. Dorrian's was the best. Grohl does good doom.
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted January 06, 2005 13:28     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You mean Dave Grolsch smokes reefer ?

Is that why his hair always looks greasy?

He should've watched that movie -
"the Devil's Weed" - then he'd a known
better.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 06, 2005 14:41     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
perhaps he should take a leaf out of Sleazy P Martini's book & smoke crack out of a showerhead...
anyone not seen Gwar's Phallus in Wonderland check it out! titter

--------------------

String em up

PIT-FACE
VoivodFan
Member # 504

posted January 06, 2005 15:32     Profile for PIT-FACE   Email PIT-FACE     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ahhh..wasnt exactly my pic o' the fuckin litter either.did like that it dug up some old bastards though.dude from d.r.i [forgot his fuckin name.] chronos,snake,king diamond, and lets not forget THE GREAT LEMMY KILMISTER.
actualy the one with lemmy didnt sound to far a cry from real motorhead you know? and the first licks in snake's sounds like voivod.least grohl was trying to stay true to em.

--------------------

RATTLE YER GOD DAMN HEADS!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 06, 2005 16:47     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PIT-FACE:
dude from d.r.i [forgot his fuckin name.]

Kurt Brecht

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 06, 2005 17:30     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that Kurt Brecht song is hands down my favorite. i wish DRI would put out some shit like that TODAY.

also, XD pretty much said everything that i needed to say.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Blurrhog
VoivodFan
Member # 503

posted January 06, 2005 18:27     Profile for Blurrhog   Email Blurrhog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
you obviously don't know Grohl's background. he grew up on the east coast (virginia, i think) in hardcore, metal bands, before he flew to the west to become a legend in Nirvana, he was in a band called SCREAM. Don't dis the man... he's done a lot of good for the old metal community with the Probot project. Ya gotta give him credit for this project which took years to finish. He easily could have done another cd or 2 as the Foo Fighter during that time and sold millions, but he stayed with the project until it was complete.

Dude before u even try to protect him let me tell u something. I grew up in the the whole virginia/dc scene and let me tell u he was never a Metalhead. Maybe he knew the bands or liked em whatever but he was just a little hardcore punk that worked at a local record and whore David Bowie shirts. METAL hardly. He also claims to say he was at a Venom show in DC when as a matter of fact Venom never played dc. And if he is sooo metal why didnt he make this album in say 95 or 94 when metal was really dead for awhile.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 06, 2005 18:45     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with Blurrhog on this one. The fucking audacity of Dave Grohl to even think of recording a heavy metal album when it's fashionable!

He should have waited a couple more years when everybody had moved on to 'punk' bands like Bad Religion and Good Charlotte etc.

He might not have sold any records, but he'd have at least avoided the scalding 'lizard in a frying pan' disapproval of The Old School.

(Not a fan of the Foo's, but he was very entertaining at Reading Festival with his goofy antics. The music itself was mid-satisfying in much the same way that watching a really good decorator put up wallpaper correctly is satisfying. Or drinking a plastic cup-full of mid-priced bottled water when you're not particularly thirsty.)

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 06, 2005 19:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for backing me up on this one XD.

Grunge certainly didn't kill metal. It was more metal than what a lot of the so-called metal bands were doing at the time.

Grunge came along when a lot of metal bands were writting poor albums, and it was certainly a breath of fresh air. Granted there were a bunch of talentless "grunge" acts buty the great one were (and still are) great. I still enjoy most of the so called grunge records, but most bands they labled grunge, to me, were just great ROCK bands who wrote great music and lyrics.

I HATE LABLES

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 07, 2005 08:34     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What is/was grunge anyway?

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 07, 2005 09:18     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
fuzzed out, distorted guitars with screaming vocals is a simplistic definition. all i can say is i had a lot of fun seeing many of those bands that later on became hugely popular. i guess that makes me not metal as well. good, i hate labels too.

btw, in 94 cobain killed himself and apparently grohl didn't feel like recording for awhile and then in 95 he put the foo fighters together so maybe that's why he didn't record probot when metal was "really dead." in all seriousness, he didn't have the industry pull to get a lot of those people who recorded on this record in the mid 90s. anyway, either you liked probot or you didn't. who cares?

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted January 07, 2005 12:10     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xXniaXx:
anyway, either you liked probot or you didn't. who cares?

I didn't buy it, I have it, I haven't listened to it, except the Snake song...I was curious...and I don't care either, NIA

Grunge? Besides the music, which you described perfectly, I remember it was also described as someone who wore jeans, flannel and Converse. I guess I was "grunge" at the height of Metaldom in the 80's.

Oh holy hell, I'm still grunge

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 07, 2005 12:36     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
I didn't buy it, I have it, I haven't listened to it, except the Snake song...

Wow, you are really cheating yourself out of some other really good songs...

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan