my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Opeth vs. Otep

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opeth vs. Otep
Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted December 31, 2004 00:52     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Would somebody pleeeezzz tell me what the blazin hell is going on in this "modern" metal world. It's almost 2005, and we got MCtallica with Linkin Biscuit, and Limp Park for tour support, while Megadave hires Exodus and Diamond Head! (Granted, last time I bought a record from any of them was 1991.) And then, today, there is a bunch of band names I can't distinguish, cause no of e'm contain the word "death"

I digress....

(Ahem) Dear Voivod, please SAVE us. I'm 31, and I think I've heard every heavy metal riff ever played except for what you guys haven't done yet.

|  IP: Logged
GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted December 31, 2004 01:20     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OPETH vs. OTEP

Looks like there's no winner here, everyone loses..............

--------------------

www.molokovellocet.com

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 31, 2004 03:28     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One thing i know is that OPETH is a fucking great band they gave me a lot of musical pleasure in 2004. About OTEP i do not know.

<b> Voivod will give me that pleasure in 2005. </b>

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted December 31, 2004 03:33     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Otep is more of a classic death metal type with a female on vocals. Opeth is a VERY Proggressive metal band now, used to be Death Metal.

Either way: www.allmusic.com is your friend.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 31, 2004 08:02     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ne0rC:
Otep is more of a classic death metal type with a female on vocals. Opeth is a VERY Proggressive metal band now, used to be Death Metal.

Either way: www.allmusic.com is your friend.

Opeth's DAMNATION album was very psychedelic and progressive and no cookie monster vocals, hoever their previous releases had lots of death-vocals, yet still progressive with the music.... a nice mix that made them sound more original than the majority of the death metal out there, that all sounds the same. There new release is suppose to be the heaviest thing they've done yet... back to the old brutal style, so be prepared.

DAMNATION was and is still one of my most played cds.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 31, 2004 10:07     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mind Running Slow....I hear you sir. It is pretty sad out there if all you do is read blabbermouth to get the latest on what's going on(I'm not saying that's what you do, only speaking in general terms). But under the sheets there are some really great groups out there. Unfortunately I will have to disagree with my compadres here about Opeth. Progressive is not what I hear on Opeth records. Its like metal folk music. Just cause you strum your acoustic along with some piano player does not make what you do "progressive". They are good at what they do and some of it I enjoy but progressive and musically challenging??? No way! Textbook stuff.

Right off the top of my head, here's what I would recommend:

Ephel Duath
Le Scrawl
Necrophagist
Canvas Solaris
Fantomas
Mare
Cult of Luna
and definitely pick up Mastodon's latest.....

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 31, 2004 10:30     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez, I'm gonna have to disagree with calling Opeth "Folk Metal". Unless you're thinking of Folk in the '60's acoustic geetar sense. I would definetly call what they are doing "progressive", since nobody else was doing what they were, and that in and of itself allows the genre of Metal to progress. Or something like that. :P

If you want Folk Metal you need to check out:

Elvenking
Skyclad
Finntroll
In Extremo
Otyg
Cruachan

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 31, 2004 11:00     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nuc, I understand what you're saying. But having a distinctive style and being progressive are not exactly the same thing. And the folk reference I made was meant to be very loose...sure, they're not like finntroll using their ancestral music but c'mon...its folk rock with electric guitars. As Schroed so eloquently put it....prog is when a band moves into "unchartered territory". Well, the territory Opeth has chartering is so full of stakes from rocknroll landgrabbers its not even funny. Again, great metal band...but prog???? No.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 31, 2004 20:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I used the term PROG since that's what they (and so many others) get catorgerized as... not the true sense of the word like we discussed before. With the exception of DAMNATION, I'd basically sum up OPETH as Death/Prog. Let's face it, they certainly don't sound like the typical Death Metal band, since Michael can actually sing and doesn't gggrrrrooowwwlll his way thru every song, and the playing is different from the typical death metal act, also.

So death/prog (with a touch of Seals & Croft, to make Mez happy)

--------------------

yawn

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted January 01, 2005 22:11     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Mind Running Slow....I hear you sir. It is pretty sad out there if all you do is read blabbermouth to get the latest on what's going on(I'm not saying that's what you do, only speaking in general terms). But under the sheets there are some really great groups out there. Unfortunately I will have to disagree with my compadres here about Opeth. Progressive is not what I hear on Opeth records. Its like metal folk music. Just cause you strum your acoustic along with some piano player does not make what you do "progressive". They are good at what they do and some of it I enjoy but progressive and musically challenging??? No way! Textbook stuff.

Right off the top of my head, here's what I would recommend:

Ephel Duath
Le Scrawl
Necrophagist
Canvas Solaris
Fantomas
Mare
Cult of Luna
and definitely pick up Mastodon's latest.....

Thanks, Mezcalhead. I recall one or two of you folks recommending this Mastodon before, so maybe I'll cash in my Amazon.com gift certificate on some of these guys. No one I know listens to metal anymore, so "word of mouth" is more or less limited to this site. (found out bout Mars Volta here, and loved it!!)

Cheers.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 02, 2005 06:25     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I see what you mean, Mez. I'd say they went into uncharted territory. I mean, nobody in metal was doing anything like them. I guess "prog" is just sort of the banner I put them under coz they're different and they are techincally proficient musicians. Kinda like Dream Theater - not "progressive" in the true sense of the word, but that's the label they've been given. I like how schroeder decscribes them.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 02, 2005 10:43     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With a touch of Seals & Croft....Hahahahaha!!!!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan