my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » You've got to be fucking kidding me!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You've got to be fucking kidding me!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 21, 2004 15:18     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How prog can you get?

(I was going to add a smartarse comment here, but for once I'm lost for words)

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

|  IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 21, 2004 15:44     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And how about the Meads of Asphodel?

Hehe, I thought Yes were prog rock relics...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 21, 2004 16:14     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If ya can't play good in regular clothes, ya gotta have a gimic to get noticed

--------------------

yawn

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted December 21, 2004 16:33       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Monty Python and his Holy Grail ROCKS!!!!
IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 21, 2004 18:58     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh heh heh. Not only do they look silly, I think the singer's armour's a bit too tight in the ol' testicular region... painful, in more ways than one.

quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
And how about the Meads of Asphodel?

Hehe, I thought Yes were prog rock relics...

The Meads of Asphodel are fucking awesome. Thou shalt not disdain the Meads!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 22, 2004 10:19     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LivingEvil:
Monty Python and his Holy Grail ROCKS!!!!

"Let's not go to Camelot, it is a silly place."

Korgul
VoivodFan
Member # 475

posted December 22, 2004 10:30     Profile for Korgul   Email Korgul     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
"Let's not go to Camelot, it is a silly place."

Did you see the Lego version of this ? Excellent !!!

--------------------

My sky is black today

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted December 22, 2004 10:41     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's Gwar on anti-depressants. Oh wait, steroids.....no. cotton candy?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 22, 2004 13:08     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korgul:

Did you see the Lego version of this ? Excellent !!!

Is this what you are talking about?

"It's only a model" indeed!

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 22, 2004 13:10     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's so damn funny, I can't even think of a smart ass comment that would live up to it.
I love that i can say this here.....but I always have this great need to laugh when I read prog mags or attend prog events. But I have to refrain myself because the only musical "community" that seems to give my own band any press is the prog guys. But they are every bit as pretentious as they claim other genres to be. It's so damn comical. I always have to "play it safe" when I do some sort of interview with a "prog" mag or e-zine. They always seem taken when they ask for my list of influences. They're always suprised that the only prog band listed is Crimson. And even Crimson hates being called a prog band. Fripp once said that the worst thing that ever happened to Crimson was that they were labeled a Prog band. I concur!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 22, 2004 14:01     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whiiich leads us again to Zappa! Complex, let's even say progressive, music, but done with humour. The problem is that most prog band take themselves so damn seriously.

Hey, look, instead of calling your 20 minutes instrumental epic "The Pyramid of Doubt" or "Metaphorical Theorem part VII" or some pseudo intellectual cheesy title, do like Zappa and give the stupidest titles to your serious or instrumental pieces ("Sexual Harrassement in the Workplace", "Girl in the Magnesium Dress", etc).

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 22, 2004 15:17     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:

The Meads of Asphodel are fucking awesome. Thou shalt not disdain the Meads!

Once again - superb taste, sir!

One day Lyc's going to drop a clanger and tell us he likes a band that actually suck.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 22, 2004 20:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Mustard your so damn right about those Prog people. Must of the communities are so uptight and pretentious it's sickening. When I first got a computer I was so thrilled about being able to keep up with King Crimson through their site. I'd read and contribute to their forum every day, but after a few weeks of reading what these prog geeks were typing, I couldn't take it anymore... they were annoying as hell, and I posted something that cut on most of the people who posted there and Fripp actually used a few of my lines in his diary one day... sems he agreed with me also.

It's funny because KC and Zappa are what the real definition of progressive would be... to move forward into uncharted territories, unlike what almost all prog bands do... find their nich and stick with, and don't stray from it.

--------------------

yawn

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 22, 2004 20:58     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Amen to that Schroed!

That's exactly what prog was and should be. But like you said, the irony is that they're stuck in the sound of prog created in the 70s. There should be a Monty Python episode for this.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 23, 2004 08:12     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Amen to that guys!
Progressive = progression = moving forward
Many "prog" bands should be labeled regressive rock...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 23, 2004 12:48     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, Schroed, that was dead on the money. You should write an article for one of these prog online mags and start a discussion.

All this talk of KC brought a nasty reminder of the KC concert I met another VVF'er(the first one I'd met)Layla's Dad at. Great meeting him but ahhhhhhhhh what an awful night. Hey, LD, I'll share my story if you'll share yours...........?????????

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 23, 2004 13:46     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
[QB]Damn, Schroed, that was dead on the money. You should write an article for one of these prog online mags and start a discussionnight.QB]

I'm not sure that'd go down to well with the target market. "Why Prog fans are basically friendless wankers*, and why modern Prog (or rather, 'Regreg') is a bunch of she-ite**"

(* - except me)
(** - except the bands I like)

I think I might go look at these prog boards and bait them for a laugh. Then again, baiting a prog fan is probably as 'fish-in-a-barrel' pointless as baiting an American.

--------------------

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted December 23, 2004 15:33     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eloy!

They have eleventy-billion studio albums. Plus each and every musician in the band has a daft Peter Gabriel circa-1972 hairdo and wears shiny silver underpants. 10 minute epics, lots of widdly bits and Moog breaks and ice-cold Germanic accents and reverb. Maybe even pirate shirts!

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 23, 2004 19:52     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's weird, because every Prog mag claims to "look" for the truly progressive bands of the day, but then they alway seem to throw in these stupid ass disclaimers like "I'm not sure the true prog fans would like it" or something stupid like that whenever we get reviewed.
It's exactly this backwards ass way of thinking that has kept us off any prog festivals in the US. The first time I encountered this was about 7 years ago at a festival in Baltimore called Powermad (prog-metal) and Death & Taxe$ was asked to play. The funny thing was that for three days, every "prog" band sounded the same. It was comical. And then we came on and no-one seemed to know why we were there. It was funny.
And then a review came out in Progression magaizine that praised us for standing out, but pointing out that we probably didn't belong there. What the fuck is that? How does a band that sounds like no-one else not belong at a Prog show?

But before I continue to prog bash, I'll point out again......they've given me more press then any other genre. So I guess I gotta love 'em too!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 23, 2004 20:14     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MMM, Death and Taxes are (were) definitley prog in the TRUE SENSE... you guys moved forward (and diagonally) with each release. You never found a safe proggy place to call your own and repeat it.

Maybe a better term for bands like yours, KC, Porcupine Tree, and a handful of others would be
EVOLVING MUSIC

that's the best term I can think of since the term "progressive" is more of a stereo-type for a band now, than what the word actually means.

Dream Theater, the modern day godfathers of prog metal, haven't really progressed. I really enjoy DT but like they said in the interview section of their new dvd, when talking about their music (I think it was Portnoy) he basically said something about when they write music they tend not to stray from what DT is expected to sound like, because their fans know what DT should sound like, and they don't want to mess with a good thing. As talented as everyone is in that band, that means they won't take any big chances... what a shame.

If I listened to a King Crimson or Porcupine Tree release and didn't feel like they were challenging me with something out of the ordinary, I'd be dissapointed. I've come to expect the unexpected no matter what that would be. I respect a band more for trying something different than rehashing the same thing.

NP: Kreator - Enemy Of God

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan