my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Invisible Bassist

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Invisible Bassist
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 20, 2004 13:50     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It strikes me that on many of my favourite 'old school' metal albums the bass playing is, at best, hypothetical. In other words, you can't hear it. If the guy sings too (Slayer) it ain't so bad, but what does Paulo Jr actually do for a living? Did he own a nice PA, and Sepultura just 'got used to him' being around ever since they started earning good money?

Here's a few examples:

'Hidden in the Mix'
(bassist only there cause he owns the PA)
Metallica - Justice (obviously)
Sepultura - (before they sucked)
Slayer - any old one
Fear Factory - " "
Obituary - Cause of Death - although Frank Watkins deserves to be on the back photo for his excellent Buzz Lightyear chin alone!

Icing on the Cake
(you can only hear them because they forgot to cut their nails)
Death - Human (wonderful playing when you can hear it, but...)

Anthrax - ('bogola-bogola' sounds over crunchy Scott Ian riffs. Maybe thats why he joined Helmet.)

Metallica - Cliff (oh here we go, flame me for all I give a fuck. Yes he was awesome and yes blah blah sabbath flares pulling teeth etc, but come on, you can't actually fucking hear him, can you? Or did you buy a special version of MOP that I don't have?)

All Over Everything
Iron Maiden - he owns the PA AND the van!
Celtic Frost - (giving us perhaps as good an example as any as to why the bass fader is perhaps better off at the lower half of the mixing desk on these metal albums)
Voi...

Just where the fuck does bass end and guitar begin?!
...vod
Tool
King Crimson

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

|  IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 20, 2004 14:22     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Who needs bassists anyway?", said Jack White.

When you have a low-end crushing guitar, like in most metal bands, it leaves no room for bass anyway.

And how about that guy in Priest? You have the Metal God, the twin guitars, the drummer and the other guy. You can't barely hear him on Painkiller!

quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Just where the fuck does bass end and guitar begin?!
...vod
Tool
King Crimson

A-greed!!!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 20, 2004 14:42     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One thing I really dig on the Atrophy "Socialized Hate" album...you can hear the bass in the mix and the guy is solid.

Good topic Em. There are so many examples of the lack of bass in the mix. Something I've always wondered as well. It must be because they own the pa.

BTW, Did you get your six string yet? How do you like it???

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 20, 2004 16:40     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh. "Human" is a good example of that, because DiGiorgio's an absolute monster on the bass - check out Individual Thought Patterns, they give the bass a lot more room in the mix, which it deserves. He's all over the Sadus albums as well, check them out.

Napalm Death's good for this, too. So distorted that all you can hear is something like white noise at the start of Lucid Fairytale.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 20, 2004 16:56     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good point, Maldorrröööaaarrr - I was going to mention Judas Priest especially because his playing on the albums before 'British Steel' is really good, then he coasts for a bit, then nothing at all.

On the other hand, Metallica sounded fucking great before they added bass on the black album. Then they just sounded like all the other over-compressed radio tosh.

Anyway, I'm really into a band called Lightning Bolt right now - just bass and drums and occasional screams. Honestly, after you've seen their DVD all other bands seem a bit...well, bloated.

--------------------

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted December 20, 2004 17:53     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Seems like most metal albums in general, you'll be hard pressed to find the bass at all. Unless its a solo, or you have good ears.

--------------------

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted December 20, 2004 20:51     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
King's X (at least on the first 3 studio albums - the only ones I really know) have an amazing bass sound.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 20, 2004 23:15     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was gonna mention Priest too. Thing is - he's a damn good player! He actually starts showing off a bit on Jugulator. There's some nice runs on that album.

Arch Enemy have their bass mixed way low too. Sahrlee is an amazing bassist too! WTF?

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted December 20, 2004 23:49     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another reason I loved and still love CORONER. Ron Royce's bass tones were wicked and powerful enough to make up for the lack/need of a rhythm guitarist. (especially on No More Color) One of the first metal albums I heard, where the bass lines sounded as "cool" and "wow" as the guitar solos.

The PA probally owned THEM.

(NOISE RECORDS BAND=POVERTY)

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 22, 2004 12:46     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
King's X (at least on the first 3 studio albums - the only ones I really know) have an amazing bass sound.

Hey Monkey, you picked the worst spot to stop buying King's X albums. The fourth is probably one of their strongest (although I like them all). Pick up "Dogman". You shouldn't be disappointed. As a matter of fact, I think I'll pop it in myself right now!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 22, 2004 15:35     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't know Judas Priest had a bass player.

On the other hand, looks like there are not one, but THREE bass introduced songs on the new Priest album, according to Blabbermouth.

*salivating, salivating*

quote:
JUDAS PRIEST: 'Angel Of Retribution' Listening Session Held In London; Full Report Available - Dec. 21, 2004

Damien, Assistant Editor of the U.K.'s respected Terrorizer magazine, attended a listening session for the new JUDAS PRIEST album, "Angel of Retribution", in London on Monday (Dec. 20). The following is his report on the session, as submitted to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Just attended the London press day for 'Angel Of Retribution' yesterday December 20. [JUDAS PRIEST guitarists] K.K. [Downing] and Glenn [Tipton] were in attendance, as were pretty much all the U.K. rock press and much alcohol!

"We heard five songs: 'Judas Rising', 'Deal With The Devil', 'Revolution', 'Worth Fighting For' and 'Hellrider'.

"'Revolution' is absolutely massive, a true sing-along anthem that's sure to become a live staple. Quite outrageously catchy in the tradition of PRIEST's numerous chart hits.

"'Judas Rising' is a pounding, punishing workout — repetitive, but to great effect. [Rob] Halford is in great voice here.

"'Deal With The Devil' is pure heavy metal; chugging guitar downstrokes — an obvious headbanger's delight. Expect to hear it live.

"'Worth Fighting For' is the weakest of the bunch, a somewhat undercooked semi-ballad that doesn't really go anywhere.

"'Hellrider' is akin to something off 'Painkiller', truly amazing axework from Glenn and K.K. They've really excelled themselves on this album.

"There are also no less then TWO bass intros among these five, which is highly unusual, as Ian Hill only ever got two in the entire back catalog before! ('The Rage' and 'Love Bites').

"Overall, this absolutely wipes the floor with the last two albums, though it's unlikely to top 'Painkiller' or 'Screaming For Vengeance'. However as Glenn told me, this is 'just the next JUDAS PRIEST album. We've got at least 2 or 3 more albums in us...' "

As previously reported, JUDAS PRIEST's new single, "Revolution", is scheduled to go for radio adds on January 3. "Angel of Retribution" is slated for release on March 1 via Epic.

Watch for a full report/feature on JUDAS PRIEST in an upcoming issue of Terrorizer magazine.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 22, 2004 15:37     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now how would you know about that?

Is there some sort of...dare I say it...preview mp3's going?

Sure as fuck I'm going to buy it anyway (bought all the others, and I can't even say that about Voivod!)

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 22, 2004 15:46     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nah, unfortunately. Check my previous post, now updated. Oh, and it's two bass intros, not three. Sorry about that.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 22, 2004 19:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
Hey Monkey, you picked the worst spot to stop buying King's X albums. The fourth is probably one of their strongest (although I like them all). Pick up "Dogman". You shouldn't be disappointed. As a matter of fact, I think I'll pop it in myself right now!

DOGMAN is da shit, and also pick up MANIC MOONLIGHT which is groove-a-licious!!!! Hands down my 2 fav releases by them.Both Ty Tabor's solo releases are phenomenal (along with his numerous projects: Jelly Jam, Jughead, Platypus), Jerry Gaskil's cd is also worth picking up... incredible, and if you like Pinnick's vocals and groove the POUNDHOUND releases are well worth it also. King's X are in the studio preparing the next album for 2005!!!! Next year is looking like a damn good year for music.

Rush had some pretty good bass lines on their albums

--------------------

yawn

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted January 04, 2005 10:08     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this makes me think about Mercyful Fate, the bass lines are clearly audible on both classics "Melissa" and "Don't Break the Oath", and the guitar tones are heavy as fuck...

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted January 04, 2005 10:45     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another vote for King's X: Dogman and also check out TapeHead.

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted January 04, 2005 12:57     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That is why when the bass is actually fairly loud in the mix on metal records that the bassist is considered a bass god.

Whenever I want to hear bass I just go back to The Minutemen and Nomeansno. Bass was always treated very fairly in punk. The bass solo in Big Takeover from the Bad Brains comes to mind.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 04, 2005 13:53     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mind Running Slow:
Another reason I loved and still love CORONER. Ron Royce's bass tones were wicked and powerful enough to make up for the lack/need of a rhythm guitarist. (especially on No More Color) One of the first metal albums I heard, where the bass lines sounded as "cool" and "wow" as the guitar solos.

The PA probally owned THEM.

(NOISE RECORDS BAND=POVERTY)

Nice to see someone else remembers Coroner!! They one of my fave bands
they are all sickeningly good musicians the lucky bastards...
I was lucky enough to see them, they supported Annihilator at a London gig about 11, 12 years ago, which I got taken along to as my boyfriend at the time was a big fan of Annihilator...we had no idea who was supporting & only just turned up in time to see them! Saw the board outside saying Coroner & screamed me head off as I thought we'd missed 'em! As far as I know they haven't played London since.

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 04, 2005 17:26     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
noise records band = poverty

Yes.
On this note, I think I remember reading in the Celtic Frost book that they had to borrow Coroner's equipment most of the time.. Seeing as how Noise so totally shafted them up the arse- although they were the bigger band, they couldn't afford their own equipment.
Which is nice.

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 04, 2005 17:46     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If anyone has heard Infestation's Mass Immolation.. that is a fucking superb album, with no bass player whatsoever, & it sounds fine without. They never had one, just 2 guitars, & there was never any need for one.
Check it out!!!

--------------------

String em up

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan