my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » shooting at DamagePlan concert-3 people killed (Page 5)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 

Author Topic: shooting at DamagePlan concert-3 people killed
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 22, 2004 20:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well when you have someone like FRIPP writting for you magazine you only going to get the cream of the crop. He certainly wouldn't waste his time interviewing someone just because they are popular. There obviously are some mag that are better than others and they seem to be the technical zines that focus on the playing, and not the quantity of records they sold.

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 23, 2004 18:03     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd agree with that, but I haven't bought a guitar magazine regularly since the early 90's.

Guitar Player always seemed to me to be of a high standard of writing and focused on very good players across the board. A lot of ad's though! And why chop up the articles? It was like one of those Role Playing books (no, don't start)...cont.on page 94...cont. page 124...role dice, if 1-4 cont. page 223, if higher cont. page 34 and take away 3 hit-points...

Guitarist (UK) was always top draw, too, until they got bought out by Future Publishing and screwed with the format - Bassist's got their own mag, and as I'm a bass player too I thought that this diminished the appeal. No more bass gear reviews or interviews with Claypool or Geddy Lee etc!

I can't speak for American Magazines here, but overall the standard of 'Guitarist' over the 90's went from, say, Terrorizor to Kerrang!!! in terms of appealing to the lowest common denominator and leaving nothing much for the serious musician.

Then again, the mass-appeal of 'technical' players dipped somewhat in the late 90's, did it not?

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

|  IP: Logged

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan