my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » shooting at DamagePlan concert-3 people killed (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: shooting at DamagePlan concert-3 people killed
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted December 09, 2004 23:46     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not exactly the circumstances I'd like to come back here for. But, I've been waiting all day to get online to read about what happened.

Over the past fourteen years, I've progressed from being a Pantera nut (with the release of CFH) and steadily progressed to apathy being from Phil's hometown of N.O. All this however, brings me full-circle. I remember seeing them for the first time in a small club (about 200 capacity) before the CFH tour in 1990. Like 'em or not, they were easily the most powerful live band during that time.

It's simply a shame. For many, Diamond Darrell was the Eddie Van Halen for the '90s kids. Deservedly so.

N/P: "Primal Concrete Sledge"

|  IP: Logged
Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted December 10, 2004 01:39     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear this...can't really believe it.

--------------------

What the...?

piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted December 10, 2004 02:23     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
R.I.P

i hate to hear this in the metal world

sad day for metal

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 10, 2004 07:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ynys Trebes:
I might have to reach for the flamesuit on this one, but only in the US would a frustrated Pantera fan gun down the former guitar player...

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!! Thank God the NRA is there to fight for your right to bear arms to protect your family...

I'm so fucking angry, because off the top of my head, I can think of 500 other person who deserved to be die before Dimebag...

What a fucking waste...

This fucked up country is goind straight to hell...

I don't think you'll need the 'flamesuit' for that comment, it's hard to argue with the facts... I AGREE whole heartedly. America needs to take a good look at what the fuck in THIS country, and do something about it.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 10, 2004 07:57     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was really surprised to hear this at first but then when you see some of the moronic nutjobs on these other forums(we've had a couple too)it's really not that shocking.

I was waiting for somebody to blame Dimebag's death on the NRA.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted December 10, 2004 08:20     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm no fan of the NRA, but to pin this as some kind of USA-only problem isn't true. Very recently a Dutch filmmaker named Theo Van Gogh was murdered out on the street by someone that didn't agree with his films. Crime isn't nearly as rampant in the that part of the world as it is here and that kind of thing still manages to rear its ugly head.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted December 10, 2004 10:38     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:

I was waiting for somebody to blame Dimebag's death on the NRA.

And was waiting for you to make above comment.

So, back in live music land. Went to see Gwar last night and had the full-on pat down with metal detector rod swung up and down me body...oooohh, stop! No, wait, don't stop.
I still don't understand how this kid managed to get up on stage, even after having a bouncer and employee following him into the club?!? Fuck the NRA! What about the security? Did they suspect he was carrying a weapon? Why were they following him and how the fuck (again) did he get on stage with a gun?
Dying Fetus were great. Gwar gutted everyone including:
John Kerry, Paris Hilton, Michael Jackson & Blanket, Bush, Osama, Ahnold, etc. Won't have to see that for another 10 years again.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted December 10, 2004 10:46       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's no way you can pin this on the NRA.Here in Columbus they did a little research on the shooter and went to where he lived(he doesnt live in Columbus but a town about an hour away.)
The shooter used a 9mm Beretta,which is the standard sidearm of the Marines.The shooter was an ex-Marine.
They talked to two guys that hung out with him since 98 and they said he was getting weirder and weirder saying"He would pretend he had a dog and pet it all the time and stuff like that".They also talk to a guy at a tattoo shop that the shooter hung out at alot and that guy said "he was scary"and "he was the kind of guy that would go on a shooting spree".
These people should have done something to stop him if they really felt he was going to do something like that.I dont really know what they could have done but putting in his head that shooting someone wouldnt do any good is a start.
Anyway the NRA has nothing to do with this because the handgun he used is very common.Many policemen use that gun as well as the U.S. military so it will never get banned.

IP: Logged
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 10, 2004 12:04     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have plenty of political thoughts, but I'll keep this post in praise of the man deceased. Fuckin' monster guitarist. I think I saw Pantera on the same "tour" that nothingface mentioned. I saw them at a local college basketball gymnasium. They were opening up for Exodus and Suicidal Tendencies. I wasn't even familiar with Pantera and they stole the show BY FAR.
And I agree with Schroed that Vulgar Display of Power is a landmark metal album. And I thought Far Beyond Driven was just as powerful. I too am not the biggest of Pantera fans, but these two albums in particular for me are great. For me, they seem to be the only band bringing some musical integrity back to into metal. And the guitar tone.........every now and then (for better or for worse), a guitarist comes out with a unique tone that changes the way every guitar in the future is played, amped, mic'd, and recorded. Dimebag was one of those guys. They were on top of the game.
RIP Dimebag.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 10, 2004 12:43     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just read this report. Kind of arm-hair raising. And it seems that this internet radio station is playing Dimebag material all day, in case anyone wants to trip down memory lane or hear the latest Damageplan.
http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=3404

Lastest Associated Press Report Regarding Damageplan and the Death of Dimebag Darrell

By Sefany Jones, Editor
Thursday, December 9, 2004 @ 3:17 PM

All Fatalities Have Been Accounted, Including Confirmation of the Death of Legendary Guitarist Dimebag Darrell; Associated Press Recaps Horrific Event in Detail

Here’s the official count:

DEATHS:

Damageplan Guitarist Dimebag Darrell, 38

Damageplan Head of Security Jeff “Mayhem” Thompson, 40

Nightclub employee Erin Halk, 29

Fan Nathan Bray, 23

Gunman Nathan Gale, 25

Among the injured:

Chris Paluska from Damageplan’s management company is in critical but stable condition

Cat (John Brooks) Vinnie Paul’s drum tech, is expected to be released from the hospital tomorrow.

Now here is the latest from the Associated Press:

Headbanger rage: Five killed in shooting rampage at heavy-metal nightclub in Ohio

By CARRIE SPENCER
Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- It looked like something out of a macabre heavy-metal video: The lights dimmed in the smoke-filled nightclub, the rock band Damageplan launched into its first thunderous riffs, and then a man in a hooded sweatshirt ran the length of the stage and opened fire, shooting the lead guitarist at least five times in the head.

In just minutes, the gunman had killed three others before being shot to death by a police officer. The slain guitarist, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, 38, was a driving force behind the rock band Pantera, and police are looking into reports from witnesses that the gunman was a fan irate that the hugely influential group broke up.

Some of the 500 people packed into the club to see Abbott's new band initially thought that the gunman was an excited fan or that the shootings were part of the show.

"I figured it was another fan wanting to jump off the stage and crowd surf," said Brian Kozicki, the club's lighting designer. "I think he knew he wasn't going to get out and he was going to take down as many people as he could."

Police identified the gunman as Nathan Gale, 25, who listened to Pantera music to psyche himself up before football games and would often hang out at a tattoo parlor and make a pest of himself by talking to customers about music.

"We may never know a motive for this, unless he left a note," Sgt. Brent Mull said.

Also killed were Erin Halk, 29, a club employee who loaded band equipment; fan Nathan Bray, 23; and Jeff Thompson, 40.

Two others were hospitalized after the shooting. The nature of their injuries was not disclosed.

The guitarist's brother, Vinnie Paul Abbott, the drummer for Damageplan, was rushed to safety offstage and tearfully tried to learn his brother's fate from officers who couldn't even tell him which hospital he was taken to.

With his frenetic, ear-splitting guitar riffs, Dimebag Abbott created an aggressive sound for Pantera and attracted a cult following in the early 1990s. The band was nominated for Grammys in 1995 and 2001. The Abbott brothers left Pantera last year and released Damageplan's debut album, New Found Power, in February.

"I'm absolutely beside myself with grief. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would do this," said heavy metal legend Ozzy Osbourne, who often toured with Pantera.

Lines were deep Wednesday night at the Alrosa Villa club -- a popular venue for heavy metal for 30 years -- to buy T-shirts for Damageplan.

As the lights dimmed, club security was trying to catch up to a man in a Columbus Blue Jackets hockey jersey over his sweatshirt, who was seen jumping the 8-foot wooden fence to enter the club. The guards could not reach the tall, heavyset man in the crowd.

He climbed onstage, as many Alrosa headbangers do.

"At first we thought it was a hoax, and then when he fired again we knew it was real," said Jeremy Spencer, 16.

Kozicki, the lighting director, brought up the house lights and ducked under his control table, where he called 911 on his cell phone. Several calls followed, with one male caller saying: "He's on stage right now. He's got a gun. ... He just shot again." Fans surged toward the doors in fear.

Kozicki peeked from his table to see the gunman holding a man in a headlock. Police said the gunman appeared ready to shoot the hostage, who managed to duck just enough for Officer James D. Niggemeyer to take aim and kill Gale.

On Thursday morning, fans left flowers and a bottle of Rogue "Dead Guy Ale" outside the taped-off club parking lot.

Gale has a minor police record in Marysville, near Columbus, including driving with a suspended license last month, said Police Chief Floyd Golden. At the Bears Den Tattoo Studio in Marysville, Gale made people feel uncomfortable by staring at them and forcing them into a conversation, manager Lucas Bender said.

"He comes in here and likes to hang out when he's not wanted," Bender said. "The most pointless conversations."

The shootings came on the 24th anniversary of perhaps the most well-known assassination of a rock star -- that of former Beatle John Lennon outside his New York City apartment in 1980.

------

Associated Press writers John Seewer in Toledo, Andy Resnik in Marysville and Anita Chang in Columbus contributed to this report.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 10, 2004 13:56     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jesus. I read about this in the paper this morning, I just can't believe it. I loathed Pantera with a passion, but nobody deserves to go that way. Nobody. It's absolutely unreal. Made me sick, it did.
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted December 10, 2004 15:01       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's no way that clubs hold 500 people.The local news here in Columbus was saying a little over 250 people and i thought that was high.
When i saw Prong there was about 150 people there and that place was packed.

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted December 10, 2004 17:07       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
looks like you'll be seeing the chaos for yourself soon.Two home video's where taken during this concert but you probably wont want to see it.I talked to a guy who was there and he saw the police shoot the shooters face off with a shotgun.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 10, 2004 21:25     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What a sick, pointless fucking tragedy. Like some of the others here, I was never a huge fan of Pantera. This was only due to that moron Anselmo, though. I always knew Dimebag had it going on, and Vulgar Display is still a pretty killer album.

R.I.P. Dime:
rot in hell Semper Fi bedlamite

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted December 10, 2004 22:28       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
things are getting pretty fucked up here in Columbus.There talking about pulling the liquor license from that club even though that had nothing to do with it.That guy was parked across the street and enter around the back when the band took the stage.
Also there are some idiots calling some old lady with the same last name in the same town the shooter was from and leaving death threats on her answering machine but the old lady isnt related.
Also a trained security force is being talked about at every club.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 10, 2004 23:34     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RIP, Dimebag. What a waste.

NP: Vulgar Display Of Power. A true metal milestone.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 11, 2004 00:18     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was online at another forum when someone posted the news. I couldn't fucking believe it. I was up all night trying to find out what was really going on. Then when I did, I couldn't sleep. This is truly the most tragic, senseless thing to happen in the Metal community. I dug eveything from CFH onwards, even though the last 2 albums weren't quite as interesting as VDOP, or FBD. Never heard any of the really early "glam" stuff.
I always admired Darrell as a musician - how couldn't you? His chops were the fucking tightest, his leads were blistering, and he had fucking stage presence to spare.
When grunge showed it's head in the '90's and Metal went on a downward spiral in popularity, Pantera went to NUMBER 1 on Billboard. They, along with Slayer fucking kept shit alive in North America. While Metallica turned to ...whatever the fuck you wanna call it, and Megadeth went radio friendly, Pantera were still crunching it out. While people were praising shitty guitar players like Kurt Cobain as "geniuses", Dimebag was shredding. That's what guitar playing is supposed to be.
Anyways, I'm done ranting. I'm gonna go jam along to Fucking Hostile, coz that's how I feel now.
R.I.P. Dimebag

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 11, 2004 01:25     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Never heard any of the really early "glam" stuff.

I'm almost tempted to post 'em.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 11, 2004 04:00     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:

Wow! Tons 'o thought went into the "artwork" and "concept" for those first 4 albums...INCREDIBLE!!!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted December 11, 2004 11:40     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
damn 2 days later and im just hearing the news, its terrible for sure.
i think there is something else to the story, of course i have to bring the consparicy card into play but, it dont seem to me at first read, that it was a fan upset about their break-up ?
mabye there were other factors like Drugs or Money involved who knows, the guy was some type of acquaintance, he claimed they stole his lyrics or something to his boss. something else strange is the guy came from the back of the stage.

@poochie
mabye its just Ohio but here in D.C. area, every club i happen to go to i get everything but a cavity search ! even at places like Jaxx club, where even they have metal detectors.

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted December 11, 2004 12:07     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The guy hopped the fence, and the security wasn't tailing him too well, because he was 6' 3.

--------------------

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted December 11, 2004 12:16     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
It's hard to believe shit like this is happening in our 'civilized' western world, yet it's getting worse and worse.

on the other hand i think the world has always been this way. it is just after the adolescent stage of life our preceptions of these events are hightened. (we pay more attention) to these things and peoples that shaped our generatiion, and news in general.
heavy shit there but i dont think this incident constitutes more bashing the U.S.A. because of it.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 11, 2004 13:03     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I felt a big sense of loss today, dunno why as I was never a fan, just bopped along to Concrete Primal Sledge with everyone else the mouring after Death Metal went stale. But this was obviously horrible and pointless.

I don't think this is the time or place to start either blaiming American gun-culture or make some reactionary Hestonesque remark about your right to bear arms (eh?). If this nutcase was English he'd have just used a knife and the result would have been the same. If he was French I guess he would have used piano wire or something. An Italian fan would have been really imaginative and then done something clever with the head. A Norweigen would have just bolted the doors and burned the club down. The Canadian would have been at the Brian Adams gig down the road. The Swedish guy stayed in.

REMEMBER: Guns don't kill people, American Pantera fans with guns do!

RIP Dimebag - now theres one Dean Guitar-shaped hole in the metal world.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 11, 2004 13:07     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyways, here's PST88 from "Power Metal" (the best out of the 4 pre-cowboys albums), and incidently, Dime on vocals.

pantera-pst88.mp3

I love his lead in that one.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 11, 2004 19:20     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:

Haha, cool post Skul! I've been tempted to post these as well. One thing's for sure, Dimebag's never had anything to be embarased about when it comes to his playing.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan