my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Turntable advice?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Turntable advice?
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted December 08, 2004 14:29     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know there's a few fans of vinyl on the board. Can anyone reommend a decent but not too pricey turntable to get? maybe an amp too. Just something to hold me over until I can afford a tube amp. I haven't had one for so long that I am totally out of the loop.
I really want to get back into collecting records.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 08, 2004 16:13     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a Technics SL-1200MKII turntable, equipped with Denon DL-110 cartridge. My amp of choice is Denon PMA-1500R.

It's not too pricey. A real audiophile will laugh at my humble equipment but to me it sounds decent enough.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 08, 2004 18:52     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If an audiophile would laugh at Angelrat's gear, that same audiophile would probably slap me silly for owning such (at first glance) garbage.

My amp:

Sansui 661, from 1974. I paid 10$ for it at a yard sale last summer. It apparently had been in storage for over 20 years, so it's basically brand spankin' new. It SMOKES my supposedly high-tech Kenwood amp that i formerly owned. I never had an amp that sounded so pure. Listening to a vinyl with this one is garanteed boner-inducing sonic richness.

My turntable:

Nikko NP550. Not exactly a top of the line table, but it sounds gorgeous.

Tape deck:

TEAC V300. Another cheap find (6$). It's in surprisingly excellent shape, however. I have no idea when it was made but by the looks of it, i'd say 1982. Ugly motherfucker, but it sounds excellent.

Speakers:
(couldnt find a picture online)
Camber Laser 7. Loud sons of bitches.

So yep.

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted December 08, 2004 19:07     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Definitely not looking for audiophile quality. Even the stuff Angelrat mentioned is way out of my price range, but it's good to know what's available on the somewhat high end and also on the garage sale end.

Thanks

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted December 08, 2004 19:26     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got my turntable (Technics) and amp (Harman/Kardon) for $2 each in a garage sale, and they sound beautiful. Just scour the garage sales but be careful, ask for a demonstration - they often don't work anymore.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted January 27, 2005 02:14     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just bought a MK2, any advice for the cartridge? (I think I'll go with AR's choice... Denon DL-110?)

aah, finally, to play vinyls again! most of them I haven't heard in 5 years...
Time to unearth lost treasures

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 27, 2005 09:07     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get second hand stuff that was built in the 70's. That shit was built to last and sounds (and looks) cooler than any of the low to mid price stuff they make now. Be like Skul. He's got the right idea!
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 27, 2005 13:08     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Get second hand stuff that was built in the 70's. That shit was built to last and sounds (and looks) cooler than any of the low to mid price stuff they make now. Be like Skul. He's got the right idea!

TRUTH! You will have better luck with older gear unless you pay a fortune!

The most important things are how well it sounds to you and that it plays your records without skeetering around or rumbling. That said, I would say to make sure the arm has an adjustable counterweight.

I use a Bang & Olufsen turntable that I paid $75 for from a pawn-shop some years ago... Plays all my records great and sounds better than my CD player (given the record is in good shape). Only downside is that the replacement needles are $100 a pop!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 27, 2005 13:44     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Skul, the baking foil behind the amp in that picture really does it for me.

But does it stop interferance from bad non-oldschoolmetal vibes?

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 27, 2005 18:30     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you can get one get the Project Debut. It's a gem of a turntable and only costs £120 new.

Failing that the old Dual 505 was a classic turntable from the 70's and 80's, I'd expect to get a minter for not more than £50 here in the UK, and on ebay they go for around £20 for good examples.

Also the Rega Planar 2 is an excellent turntable, I've seen a few on ebay for less than £50.

A wierd turntable is the NAD 533, a bit on the flimsy side but again it is a good one. Those are around £50 depending on what arm was fitted.

All the turntables above give excellent sound quality and were built to last. I am something of a vinyl junkie and at some stage have listened to and/or owned all of those turntables before getting a Linn Sondek (bloody expensive!)

Hope this is useful...

--------------------

Hail Santa...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 27, 2005 18:42     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:

Amen to that brotha!!!
I've had a few newer turntables that never really cut it, and never sounded all that great, but when I won an Ebay auction for an old Technics turntable and hook it up... I was floored!!! They made them to last, and they do.

--------------------

yawn

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 27, 2005 19:25     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Skul, the baking foil behind the amp in that picture really does it for me.

But does it stop interferance from bad non-oldschoolmetal vibes?

Alas, it does not.
However, an old Venom flag makes for a nice speaker cover, AND it's also great to stop all interference from bad non-oldschoolmetal vibes.

This speaker is more metal than you.

(the other speaker has an old CoF flag on it so shhhhh!)

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted January 28, 2005 11:45     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.theanalogdept.com/

Is exactly what you'd imagine from the url. Hifi nerd heaven. Ebay can be fantastic place to get bargains. Thorens / Linn / Ariston are a few of the 70's names to look for.
*but*
If there's any logic or pattern to how much things sell for, I've yet to decipher it.
I got one of these 60's Swiss tanks:
http://www.theanalogdept.com/j_giesting.htm

for £50. Total bargain, they go for MUCH more normally.
...then my amp popped... expensively.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 28, 2005 13:16     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder what RrroooaaarrR would sound like on this?

And at only $8,499 it's a bargain!
Nottingham Analogue

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted January 28, 2005 13:40     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sure someone here has a spacedeck...

I vaguely recall the last 'vinyl fetishists' thread......

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 28, 2005 16:05     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep, some people are mad for it...

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 28, 2005 19:19     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One of these days when I have some extra dollars laying around I'm gonna get an old box to spin my Zappa vinyl on. There is something special about vinyl that cds just can't touch. I think its that feeling of having something tangible between your fingers unlike a little square plastic case......

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan