my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » BIG Rock Star Shoes to Fill... (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: BIG Rock Star Shoes to Fill...
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 06, 2004 11:58     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How could I forget the infamous Sam & Dave debate!!!
I think Sammy did an incredible job of replacing the cocky Roth, and all we have to do is a "Where are they now" to see who's the better performer. Roth is washed up and still too stupid to see what an ass he is.

While we're at it, let's talk about the 2 worst replacement in rock history (Blaze being #1 in my opinion): Gary Cherone replacing Hagar = the downfall and complete destruction of a rock icon that was Van Halen!!! Whoever is responsible for this happening needs to be shot. It blew my mind when Eddie bragged about how great that album was and how much a better songwritter Cherone was than Hagar... that was the biggest waste of vinyl and digital plastic that I ever heard. So much hype for such a piece of shit. Eddie blew it big time when he screwed up his relationship with Sammy. Big egos almost always ruin things when things are good.

I heard the new songs they performed when Hagar rejoined during the last VH tour were pretty good but I still haven't heard anything about a new cd. I wonder what's happening in the VH camp.

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 06, 2004 12:47     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know why I'm admitting this, but I thought the VH III was the best ablum I heard from them in a while. Don't get me wrong, I think Gary was a terrible choice, but musically, I thought it was the best songwriting from them in a while.

Alright, go ahead and shoot!

And while I'm at it, I'll give you another reason to shoot me........David Gilmour replacing Syd Barrett was the best thing to happen to Pink Floyd. I honestly don't get the Syd Barrett fascination.

On a lesser note, Dave Ambruzesse was Pearl Jam's best drummer.
Can't think of anymore off the top of my head. OK, fire away.

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted December 06, 2004 13:50     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
Yes, you are thinking about the same canadian band, the mighty GLASS TIGER!!!

They weren't the same when Original Bass Player was replaced by the other guy. Damn you, the Other Guy!

Oh holy crap! Thanks for the laugh Maldorrröööaaarrr!!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 06, 2004 15:24     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
I don't know why I'm admitting this, but I thought the VH III was the best ablum I heard from them in a while. Don't get me wrong, I think Gary was a terrible choice, but musically, I thought it was the best songwriting from them in a while.

Alright, go ahead and shoot!

And while I'm at it, I'll give you another reason to shoot me........David Gilmour replacing Syd Barrett was the best thing to happen to Pink Floyd. I honestly don't get the Syd Barrett fascination.

On a lesser note, Dave Ambruzesse was Pearl Jam's best drummer.
Can't think of anymore off the top of my head. OK, fire away.

BANG BANG BANG... for the VH 3 comment. Vince I thought you had better taste than that. What do you like about the album? It took all my patience to listen to that thing twice and I just couldn't hear anything worthwile. The production even sucked.

Anyway, I'm in your corner when it comes to Syd. I never understood the whole 'genius' thing when people talk about him. Stupid pop psychedelic songs that weren't even that good. Gilmore added so much more than Syd ever would have. Still hoping Dave comes to his senses and puts the past behind him so Waters and him can put out a 'proper' Floyd album again.

--------------------

yawn

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 06, 2004 16:09     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Schroed, I should have prefaced the VH comment. I'm actually not much of a VH fan. And I only own a few albums from them...I have 1, Diver Down, and 5150. I think that's it.....Anyway, I don't even own III, I just remember hearing my friends copy in it's entirety when it came out and having the impression that a stronger creative streak was there. It's sounded a bit more "band like" as opposed to studio developed songs. But again, that's just my impression of that album on a single listen. And I could only compare it to what I've heard on the radio from VH during Sammy's stint. Like I said, I don't own much VH. I'd like to tell you that I'll go back and listen to it, but I don't own it and I don't plan on buying it. Maybe I'll hunt my friend down again to borrow it. I'll get back to you on this topic. Now all of a sudden, you have me all interested in VH.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 06, 2004 19:57     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VINCE!!!! YOu don't own FAIR WARNING!!!!!!

Best damn VH album, hands down... and no stupid cover tunes!!!

--------------------

yawn

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted December 08, 2004 00:20     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

Yeah, they picked some dogs to cover didn't they? "Dancing In the Streets"??!!

The beginning to Mean Streets is pretty awesome and that album brings back some good mamories.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted December 08, 2004 02:37     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, lest we forget our own resident star, E-Force.

I think he fit in both Snake and Blacky's shoes, brought something different and good to Voivod.

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 08, 2004 02:49     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Abso-fucking-lutely

quote:
Originally posted by Ne0rC:
Oh, lest we forget our own resident star, E-Force.

I think he fit in both Snake and Blacky's shoes, brought something different and good to Voivod.

Abso-fucking-lutely

How about those 2-4 guys (I STILL can't remember their damn names) ...who had to replace the Brothers Bouchard in the Mighty Blue Öyster Cult? OH yeah, the first one was that Rick (fucking) Downey, a drum roadie who 'replaced' Albert with disastrous results, IMO. He provided little more than an afro-explosion. From that point on the band was never the same.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 08, 2004 07:38     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BOC has gone through as many line up changes as King Crimson, and Yes. Buck and Bloom have always remained in the band I think. I love BOC but they are sometime hit and miss with their songs and albums... but still legends

Eric gave Voivod a different sound then where they would have headed with Snake. At first (and for many years) I wasn't thrilled with that era, but now I can honestly say I enjoy Phobos, Negatran, Live, & Kronik.

--------------------

yawn

EFORCE
VoivodFan
Member # 454

posted December 08, 2004 08:11     Profile for EFORCE   Email EFORCE     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well,
Lets just say SNAKE has big feet!!!!! et Blacky too..But I feel that I did my best to fill those shoes....It was an honour et priviledge to be apart of the VOIVOD empire!!!No ??? s about it.Those who liked what I did are in for a surprise on the next E-FORCE tour avec Carpathian forest et co.in Europe starting in Jan.
So get your lungs et livers ready!!ha ha
CHEERS
ERIC

Korgul
VoivodFan
Member # 475

posted December 08, 2004 08:24     Profile for Korgul   Email Korgul     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:

George Fisher taking over vox in Cannibal Corpse. Good. Chris Barnes is a fag. Jack Owen left now, and he was an original member. That may affect the sound, but I doubt it. Cannibal Corpse aren't changing anytime soon.

Paul Bostaph replacing Dave Lombarbo was a big deal, but he proved that he is technically superior on the kit. Thing is, Dave is...well, Dave. Original member that played on the bands seminal classics...hard to top.

Oh no !! George Fisher is the worst thing that happen to CANNIBAL CORPSE !! Chris Barnes was THE vocalist that fit CANNIBAL music !!!
Anyway CANNIBAL since Fisher's arrival is shit !!

About Bostaph is really far from being as good as Master Dave !!!!!

About Eric in VOIVOD, I wasn't impressed at the first time I heard "Negatron" but ... finally this is fantastic !!!!

--------------------

My sky is black today

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted December 08, 2004 13:03     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
John Bush answered all my prayers when he replaced that Steve-Perry-wannabe Joey Bellladonna

'nuff said

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 08, 2004 14:53     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First of all - Syd Barrett. Least we forget this is the guy who wrote 'Astonomy Domine' as well as Lucifer Sam, which has got the best riff in history this side of Death Squad by Sacred Reich (about which, more later).

The first Floyd album is the only one with any soul (although I've loved the Roger Waters stuff since I was 5), and his solo albums are fascinating. Schroeder, take a sheet of acid and let Syd lead the path to deconstruction!

Secondly, Halford IS God and Ripper did a good job filling his heels. But Ripper has gone to a better home now, and no one shed a tear. (Apart from Ripper maybe). (and the idiot fan that had 'Ripper' tattooed over his Blaze one)

Thirdly, those that do not lament the passing of Joey Belladonna are at odds with the reality of the situation. Listen to albums 2 and 3, then perhaps Vol.8. There are no further requirements, for these mind-wrong floppy-spine arguements are blocked like a hand stopping a hamster by the shear stark-bleedin'-obviousness of the fact that with Joey Anthrax were awesome and meant something, without him they are a nostalgia act. Case in point: The new album of Bush singing old Anthrax tunes. Badly.

Now then, difficult replacements?

I was sad to note that Greg Hall's absence when I saw Sacred Reich in 91, because there is nothing on this earth funnier than seeing a very fat man playing very fast on the drums. Luckily he returned, but after I saw them. Bit like me missing a really good airshow accident during the year I didn't go.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 08, 2004 15:25     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
because there is nothing on this earth funnier than seeing a very fat man playing very fast on the drums

Indeed, indeed. Once played with one of those, but he didn't play fast tho. It was fascinating, almost hypnotic. It just went up and down. And when he was moving his drums, he would always say, with the sweat in his brows: "I should have bought a ski-doo!"

Overall, very funny post, Em!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 08, 2004 21:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EKH: the only thing funnier than watching a fat drummer play fast is watching him pass out from lack of air from playing too fast like Gene Hoglan did many many years ago at Channel One in Baltimore.

I don't agree with your Bush vs Belladonna theory. The fans have been asking for years to hear Bush do the old tunes and that's what they gave them, as voted on by the fans. I like the new HEAVIER versions a lot. I've been an ANTHRAX fan since Fistful Of Metal. VOL 8 is one of my fav 'Thrax discs. If Belladonna is better than Bush, than why is he now in the HAS BEEN catagory and has nothing worthwhile since his departure from tha band. His solo cds SUCK SHIT, and that's me being nice about it.

to each their own, right

--------------------

yawn

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted December 08, 2004 21:58     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Mr. Forrest, thanks for what you did in Voivod. "Phobos" is a tour-de-force, especially when listen to it with headphones in a dark room. There are certain albums that are just this side of lunacy, and that's one of them...so close to the edge of sanity that one's almost afraid to hear what comes next. I like Negatron too, but Phobos is it for me. Damn, what a great album.

Please visit Seattle!

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted December 08, 2004 22:01     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here are a few other big-shoes replacements that no one's mentioned yet.

Replacements that were good:

Phil Collins replacing the original drummer (Chris Stewart) in Genesis.

Neil Peart replacing the original drummer (John Rutsey) in Rush.

Replacements that sucked so much that they had to revert to the originals:

John Corabi replacing the original bocalist (Vince Neil) in Motley Crue.

Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay replacing the original guitarists (Joe Perry, Brad Whitford) in Aerosmith.

--------------------

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted December 08, 2004 22:19     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And who can forget the soap opera of Fleetwood Mac guitarists:

Peter Green - ate lots of drugs & went insane
Jeremy Spencer - ditto; also joined a cult
Danny Kirwan - replaced by Bob Weston & Dave Walker, both of whom quit after 1 album.
Bob Welch - Mr. '70s, quit to do "Sentimental Lady" or whatever that song was called.
Lindsey Buckingham - replaced Bob Welch, but was later replaced himself by Billy Burnett and Rick Vito. Then Buckingham came back. Then he left, then Dave Mason joined, then left, then Buckingham came back, then ... fuck, my head exploded.

--------------------

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted December 09, 2004 17:05     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I don't agree with your Bush vs Belladonna theory. The fans have been asking for years to hear Bush do the old tunes and that's what they gave them, as voted on by the fans. I like the new HEAVIER versions a lot. I've been an ANTHRAX fan since Fistful Of Metal. VOL 8 is one of my fav 'Thrax discs. If Belladonna is better than Bush, than why is he now in the HAS BEEN catagory and has nothing worthwhile since his departure from tha band. His solo cds SUCK SHIT, and that's me being nice about it.

to each their own, right

I agree 100% with you

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 10, 2004 00:29     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
-Everyone who replaced the original Rollins Band (the replacers are actually a band themselves, that suck)
-Derrick Green of Sep
-Misfits singer (you can't replace Danzig)
-anyone who has been in Danzig's solo band since the 5th album on
-Paul Bostaph

--------------------

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted December 10, 2004 00:55     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ringo Starr replacing Pete Best.

And what about all the changes that went down in Maiden. I did not realize there were so many ex-Maiden members out there! Thanx to the dvd I now know. Looking at them now I can't help but laugh and say to myself,"These fat, bald blokes played "Wrathchild?"

Up the iron walkers!!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted December 15, 2004 16:04     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mike Dean replacing Eric something on vox a super long time ago in Corrosion of Conformity

Brian Mantia replacing Tim Alexander in Primus...Herb replacing Brain later.

Corey Smoot was a good addition to GWAR a few years ago.

--------------------

We're Not Alone, Welcome Aboard

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 15, 2004 17:26     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Steve Tucker with Morbid Angel. He was good, but I think a lot of the enmity towards him actually has more to do with the creative ebb Morbid were (and are) on when he joined.

Big shoes to fill? Bill Steer's in Napalm Death. So big, they had to get two death metal wizards to fill 'em.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan