my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » BIG Rock Star Shoes to Fill... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: BIG Rock Star Shoes to Fill...
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 04, 2004 06:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a new topic I was thinking of yesterday at work.
List some names of who had a tough job replacing someone in a band, and how do you think they stood up to the challenge.

Here's a quick list:
Blaze replacing Bruce Dickinson in Iron Maiden... obviously he failed miserably!!!

Dio replacing Ozzy in Black Sabbath... hell of a job, gave them a different sound

Gillan replacing Dio in Black Sabbath... I love the Born Again album but I'm not sure the majority of the fans liked it. Although I think Sabbath is only Sabbath when when Ozzy or Dio are singing. I've enjoyed most of the configurations that Iommi has created but they just don't compare to the classic line up.

Zak Stevens replacing Jon Oliva in Savatage... probably one of the strangest situations since Jon was still in the band writting songs, but handed the vocals to Zak who sounds very similar to him. You almost can't tell they got a new singer. Then Jon came back years later and took the job back from Zak.

Brad Gillis taking over for Randy Rhodes in Ozzy's band... I don't think that went over to well, although the only album released with him was "Speak Of The Devil" which was very cool... though that leads us to...
Jake E Lee & Zak Wylde who both did (and do) a good job but I don't know if they will be considered the legend that Rhodes became after his untimely death.

Vinnie Vincent replacing Ace Frehley...

your turn

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted December 04, 2004 10:15     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tim "Ripper" Owens filling in Rob Halfords spot, and Matthew Barlow of Iced Earth. I kinda liked the Jugulator album, and IMHO, Tim is a better vocalist than Halford *DODGES FLAMES*. I think Matt Barlow and Tim Owens are around the same vocal greatness.

Derek Green Replacing Max Cavelera - I think Sepultura has gone downhill since Chaos AD, but Derek's voice is pretty good, but not sure how they manage with only one guitar now.

--------------------

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 04, 2004 10:46     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that Tim is a far superior singer than Rob. The Glorious Burden album proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Some of the best singing on any Metal album EVER.

Iced Earth have had so many lineup changes, I think only MSG have had more

Some other "big shoes to fill"...

Angela Gossow replacing Johan Liiva in Arch Enemy. I like the over-processed vox, but Johan was way heavier, albeit more generic.

Martin Lacroix replacing Lord Worm in Cryptopsy. He did a great job, but Lord Worm is one of a kind.

George Fisher taking over vox in Cannibal Corpse. Good. Chris Barnes is a fag. Jack Owen left now, and he was an original member. That may affect the sound, but I doubt it. Cannibal Corpse aren't changing anytime soon.

Paul Bostaph replacing Dave Lombarbo was a big deal, but he proved that he is technically superior on the kit. Thing is, Dave is...well, Dave. Original member that played on the bands seminal classics...hard to top.

I think there was a Canadian band who's bass player left and nothing was ever the same. Can't remember their name though...

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 04, 2004 12:22     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Schroed, you forgot to take a step back and point out that Dickenson replaced a great front man in D'Anno. Great job by Dickenson!
Speaking of Maiden, McBrain also did a great job of replacing Clive Burr. Although McBrain's skill level was higher, I still prefer Clive Burr.

Also doing great jobs was Phil Collins replacing Gabriel in Genesis. Both eras formed unique sounds

Doug Wimbish replaces Muzz in Living Colour was superb. I was so bummed about it until the first LC album with Doug came out

Same thing with ACDC. Who ever thought Bon Scott's shoes could be filled. Actually, they just got a different pair of shoes. ACDC struck gold twice with two of the weirdest sounding vocalists ever. Both great.

I could go on for days going over the Crimson replacements, but they've all been great in their own right.

Mike Patton taking over on vocals was the best thing that ever happened to faith no more. Next best thing to happen to faith no more was getting a different guitarist after Angel Dust. I thought they went as far as they could have gone with the original guitarist.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 04, 2004 18:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lots of good point Mustard. Faith No More wasn't even really on the map until Patton sang, so he really didn't have shoes to fill, but Jim Martin leaving gave the band a new life and they released their best albums after that.

I consider Crimson an evolving creature that takes on different forms that happen to include humans!!!! fripp being the brain of the monster, of course.

Kenny Jones taking over for the dead Keith Moon... good drummer, but it's kinda like someone taking over John Bonham's stool.

Deep Purple: Steve Morse replacing Blackmore, gave the band a new life and sound... I love Morse's playing.
Coverdale replacing Gillan... you can't replace a God. there's lots more in the revolving Purple doors but those are the big ones.

--------------------

yawn

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted December 04, 2004 20:14     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ne0rC:
Tim "Ripper" Owens filling in Rob Halfords spot, and Matthew Barlow of Iced Earth. I kinda liked the Jugulator album, and IMHO, Tim is a better vocalist than Halford *DODGES FLAMES*. I think Matt Barlow and Tim Owens are around the same vocal greatness.

WHAT!?!!
Yeah well, maybe now that Halford is a lot older and has been screaming like a banshee for the past 30 yrs. has something to do with it. Halford was and is "Heavy Metal". He proved that on their Ozzfest stop here in NM. The last show I saw with Ripper he was struggling and even the fancy effects on his voice didn't help. Then again I haven't heard him on any studio recordings, other than Priest, so what do I know!

John Bush replacing Joey Belladona-Better name, better vocalist!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 04, 2004 20:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Slug on both accounts.
Halford = God
He his one of the few original metal vocalists that all other can't touch.
Gillan
Halford
Dickinson

grandfather
father
son

John Bush has improved Anthrax the way Belladonna improved them, but Joey's talents wore thin and needed to be replaced.

NW: Iron Maiden 'the Early Years' dvd the beast over hammersmith... Hallowed be thy name!!!! always been my favorite Maiden tune!!!

--------------------

yawn

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted December 04, 2004 22:36     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

Gillan replacing Dio in Black Sabbath... I love the Born Again album but I'm not sure the majority of the fans liked it.

I DO!

Other big shoes to fill:

• Brian Robertson vs Eddie Clarke (personally "Another Perfect Day" is my favorite Motorhead album. The guitar sound and playing of Robertson is just amazing!)
  • Trujillo vs Newsted vs Burton (IMO Jason really did the job!)
  • Steve Souza vs Paul Baloff (I think Souza voice is Exodus but "Bonded By Blood" is my fave)
  • Brandon Cruz «ex. DrKnow, was asked to sing a gig with the DK for one night recently» vs Jello Biafra (Hummm, Brandon who?)

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted December 05, 2004 00:56     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I duno, even listening to their older albums Halford just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if they remastered them.

Another thing to consider -

Dream Theater Keyboardists.

Kevin Moore, Derek Sherinian, and Jordan Rudess. All great players, but I think Derek was a main reason that they were just so Rock n Roll Metal type.

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 05, 2004 02:42     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When "Onslaught's" Paul Mahoney (Power From Hell) was replaced by Sy Keeler....honestly, I actually don't give a flying fuck.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 05, 2004 06:30     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Trevor Horn replacing Jon Anderson in Yes. Although he did a nice job on 'Drama' (definitely NOT the worst Yes album), it still didn't feel right.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted December 05, 2004 07:45     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fates Warning - Ray Alder replacing John Arch. Good job IMO.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 05, 2004 08:02     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ne0rC:
I duno, even listening to their older albums Halford just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if they remastered them.

Another thing to consider -

Dream Theater Keyboardists.

Kevin Moore, Derek Sherinian, and Jordan Rudess. All great players, but I think Derek was a main reason that they were just so Rock n Roll Metal type.

ALL the JP cds have been remastered with extra tracks.

Kevin Moore is THE Dream Theater keyboardist in my opinion. He wrote great songs, and if you followed his carreer after leaving DT you will see why he departed. His writting is far to experimental to fit into the DT formula. He wrote some of the best DT songs and until Train Of Thought was released I always like the albums he contributed to the best.

Another Perfect Day is my fav Motorhead release also... brilliant!!!

I admit Trevor Horn had some big shoes to fill but DRAMA and Relayer are my 2 favorite YES releases, which is funny when you consider key members of the band were replaced on those albums. Horn also went on to produce 90125 which was YES's best seller with another key member gone (Steve Howe). Trevor Rabin is good but he can't hold a candle to the fretwork of Howe.

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 05, 2004 15:06     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
[QB]
Halford = God
[QB]

yeah right.....

Halford = gay you mean...

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 05, 2004 15:57     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No. He said GOD.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 05, 2004 16:10     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know that, just kidding...

--------------------

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted December 05, 2004 18:04     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I duno, I personally perfer Dickenson over Halford.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 05, 2004 19:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Back to the Maiden camp, Jannick Gers replacing Adrian Smith, never really did it for me. The guys a comical poser on stage and just makes me laugh. I'm so damn glad Adrain is back in the band... great guitarist and him and Murray are legendary together. Aside fron that he also writes songs.

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 05, 2004 19:56     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you definitely gotta emphathize w/ Newsted.

Burton, Butler and Blacky are some big shoes to fit in.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted December 05, 2004 20:06     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Back to the Maiden camp, Jannick Gers replacing Adrian Smith, never really did it for me. The guys a comical poser on stage and just makes me laugh. I'm so damn glad Adrain is back in the band... great guitarist and him and Murray are legendary together. Aside fron that he also writes songs.

Word! Gers just gets in the way. When are the Maiden going to replace him with space?

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 06, 2004 08:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slugbutt:
Word! Gers just gets in the way. When are the Maiden going to replace him with space?

Amen to that brotha!!!
I have a feeling that Gers is a long time mate of the bands even before joining Maiden. He did some stuff on Dickinson's early solo albums so I doubt he will ever be asked to leave.

Newsted has indeed had the daunting task of filling the biggest shoes in rock history. Maybe he'll join the WHO next!!!!

Gavin Harrison joined Porcupine Tree when original and extrordinary drummer Chris Maitland was asked to leave. This was right when the band got signed to LAVA. All the fans were blown away by this happening, since Maitland is very unique. Gavin is a more technical drummer and has been accepted ny the fans but Maitland is still missed.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 06, 2004 10:01     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, first of all, some amens:

AMEN to Halford being GOD.
AMEN to "Another Perfect Day" being the best Motörhead album.
AMEN to Dave Lombardo being Dave Lombardo.

That said, I think the two worst tasks at replacing legends were Blaze's and Ripper's. Blaze sucked miserably, Ripper at least owned in the live situation.

On the other hand, I'm surprised no one mentioned Sammy Hagar yet. The songs are not as good, but he is so much better than Diamond Dave that it didn't matter.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted December 06, 2004 10:33     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That one dude, er...um....
Eric Forest. Remember Phobos?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted December 06, 2004 10:49     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
I think there was a Canadian band who's bass player left and nothing was ever the same. Can't remember their name though...

This gets my vote - if we are thinking of the same Canadian band that is.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 06, 2004 11:18     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
This gets my vote - if we are thinking of the same Canadian band that is.

Yes, you are thinking about the same canadian band, the mighty GLASS TIGER!!!

They weren't the same when Original Bass Player was replaced by the other guy. Damn you, the Other Guy!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan