my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » the best drummer alive today (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Author Topic: the best drummer alive today
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted July 31, 2008 15:04     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What took so long, Schroed? It took you two pages before you brought up Gavin?

Gotta agree with that. He's as tasteful as he is skilled. Excellent drummer. I also agree with Pat Mastellotto (sp?). Very underrated.

The only guy I wanted to mention is the new guy for Mars Volta. I don't even know his name, but he's sick. I saw a live performance on TV a while back. Simply amazing. MV is an acquired taste, but their drummer is sick.

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 31, 2008 16:27     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My vote goes to Inferno from Behemoth.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 31, 2008 21:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Vince, I don't know why i didn't mention Gavin before... stupid me.

Marz Volta is an aquired taste and I think I'd enjoy them a lot more with a different vocalist. I dig the music, but the vocals irritate my nerves after a while. Same with Coheed and Cambria... I have a hard time listewning to them for any length of time.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 31, 2008 21:46     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Kula has a valid point, Inferno is a monster.

And Hellhammer, from Mayhem, should not be forgotten as well, his drumming is fast beyond belief.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted September 12, 2008 00:29     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Away is surely the best metal drummer for his amazing technique. He's the first and he's still contribute to melt metal with progressive music.

I think that Cobham is a master in jazz drumming. Just for his album Spectrum with the legendary rock guitarist Tommy Bolin (a shooting star)and the amazing Ian Hammer on keybord it worst it.

Robert Wyatt was a real good drummer. He sang mostly in addition to play the drums with Soft Machine before his accident (or acid bad trip) that left him in a wheelchair.

Dave Weckl is certainly in the top five of the best drummer in the world. His technique is teached in music schools with reason.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln6b_nBM-V8

Quazar
VoivodFan
Member # 800

posted September 13, 2008 11:30     Profile for Quazar   Email Quazar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Billy Cobham is a groove master, Spectrum is a must!!! What he did with Mahavishnu Orchestra is amazing!

--------------------

Party de l'interzone!

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted September 13, 2008 15:13     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that wnkile dude has an awesome mullet! or is that Gadd? can't tell, im a geetarist!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 13, 2008 16:45     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When it comes to Muhtal i have my fave set and he grooves.
Mr ghostnote Tomas Haake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsRvYFr9tYw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOR0hUIGb4Y&feature=related

Unusually straight forward that song, but he owns that kit and he plays HARD

Oh, and Bleed too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap7Z5S6yTZM&feature=related

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan