my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » new toy

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new toy
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted November 20, 2004 09:09     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
about 2 weeks ago i fried my old AMD athlon 1.2ghz cpu. i was screwing with the voltage that the processor recieved and i guess i took it too high ?
it took me a little over a week to find the components and build my new system. i spent a little $$ but it was worth it, this new box rrroooaaarrrsss.

heres the specs for the new sys... figure ill rant some.

Intel - LGA775 3.0ghz P4/ running@ 3.3ghz
Asus - P5AD2 Premium motherboard
Ati - PCI-express RX600XT 128mb video card
Micron - 1gig DDR2 dual channel memory
Pioneer - 16x dvd,double layer/multi format/dvdr-rw
Maxtor - dual 160gig Harddrives, in raid-0 w/16mbb total.
gMono - black case

one of the best things i did was go with the raid-0 setup, makes a major difference, i will eventually add to more drives to the raid.

((note))
do not take first gen Athlon cpu above 1.95Volts on the vcore.

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 20, 2004 13:41     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is this...is this like for a computer that you can graze the world wise internet on?

I don't understand all these figures and numbers. If I bought one, would it help me find love? Or failing that, some sexual intercourse?

(oh, having said that, let us know how you get on with the graphics card for 3D re-draws, I'm looking to get something like that myself and it's a toss up between that and an on-board 128meg type...)

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted November 20, 2004 15:24     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Woulda gone with an Athlon 64 Setup if I were you.

1.95V is really damn high on air cooling.

1.725 -.750 is about max I'll go. Anything higher will need a CMOS battery reset.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 20, 2004 15:37     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm having great fun with my new dell. For sex, metal downloads, and voivodfan...its wonderful.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 20, 2004 17:58     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
If I bought one, would it help me find love? Or failing that, some sexual intercourse?
)

ooh, say again?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 20, 2004 19:18     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Luna: I'm a metal dude, my hair will be long in 6 months, and I sure as hell sweat when you try to get a rise outta me like that!

Here is a picture of how gorgeous I am:

So, uh, your museum or mine, baby?

(the pretty one is Meg, btw. she is not my girlfriend although she is a girl and we are friends, you know. actually if this doesn't work out I might try the seatle channel I hope you don't mind)

[tune in next week to see if the world wise web can help two desperate people find love, or at the very least for our $20 subscription fee, virtual sexual intercourse]

--------------------

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 20, 2004 19:22     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh man I just realised! The barman behind us doesn't have a fucking head!

I knew the Soho Intrepid Fox was a metal pub but...wow! Value for money or what?!

--------------------

Peter Nubile
VoivodFan
Member # 474

posted November 20, 2004 23:54     Profile for Peter Nubile   Email Peter Nubile     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, sounds like Hatross has a sweet new machine there! Gosh, I wish I had 1 gig of DDR2 dual channel RAM onboard this el cheapo computer of mine. I have to make do with a mere 320 megs! So how do you like your PCI-express video card? Are you a serious gamer Hatross? Sounds like you are into overclocking your computers too, huh? So what exactly happened with your previous system? Was there lots of smoke and flames? Ha, ha! Oh yes, how many RPM's to your Maxtors? Finally, are you into case modding? Just wondering... I wonder if Ne0rC thinks Athlon 64's are better than P4EE's? I know, I know, I'm just trying to get a debate happening here...

Maximum PC Magazine

--------------------

"Woah, ho, ho, and a pint of Hefeweizen!!!"

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 21, 2004 18:19     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:

So, uh, your museum or mine, baby?

mine. I have the keys to all the secret passages.

--------------------

Peter Nubile
VoivodFan
Member # 474

posted November 24, 2004 11:40     Profile for Peter Nubile   Email Peter Nubile     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So there's a rumor circulating which has it that Mezcalhead's new Dell has already blown up on him! Is there any truth to this?

--------------------

"Woah, ho, ho, and a pint of Hefeweizen!!!"

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 24, 2004 13:19     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It did?
ha ha!

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 24, 2004 15:06     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, its true.

She is being taken to the doctor Friday. Can we all hold hands and bow our heads.....a moment of silence on that day....

I should do advertising for the surge protector industry. Fucking lightning!! BTW...how did you hear this Peter? News travels fast!

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted November 26, 2004 11:20     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Nubile:
Wow, sounds like Hatross has a sweet new machine there! Gosh, I wish I had 1 gig of DDR2 dual channel RAM onboard this el cheapo computer of mine. I have to make do with a mere 320 megs! So how do you like your PCI-express video card? Are you a serious gamer Hatross? Sounds like you are into overclocking your computers too, huh? So what exactly happened with your previous system? Was there lots of smoke and flames? Ha, ha! Oh yes, how many RPM's to your Maxtors? Finally, are you into case modding? Just wondering... I wonder if Ne0rC thinks Athlon 64's are better than P4EE's? I know, I know, I'm just trying to get a debate happening here...

Maximum PC Magazine

A64's are definatly better than P4EE's, unless you mean the P4E, Prescott.

A P4EE is about $1000, the A64s you can find a GOOD one for $600.

--------------------

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted November 29, 2004 09:49     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
So how do you like your PCI-express video card? Are you a serious gamer Hatross? Sounds like you are into overclocking your computers too, huh? So what exactly happened with your previous system? Was there lots of smoke and flames? Ha, ha! Oh yes, how many RPM's to your Maxtors? Finally, are you into case modding? Just wondering... I wonder if Ne0rC thinks Athlon 64's are better than P4EE's? I know, I know, I'm just trying to get a debate happening here

the PCI-express card is amazing. i had a hell of an AGP card with 256mb nVidia on my last system. with this new system i thought i would try a few different brands out, i have always run AMD and nVidia for the longest time. i went with the Pentium and ATI for a few different reasons though. for one nVidia graphics cards do not have a native PCI-express chipset yet, the nVidia cards are using a bridge chip to run their AGP processor on a PCI-express bus. and you may know PCI-express runs instructions on dual busses at the same time, (up&down) nVidia on the other hand is only to send data one direction at a time.
another reason i went with the prescott cpu is because... well theres alot to explain and AMD & Intel both have their upsides and downfalls. i encode and convert alot of video usually, and from experimenting with other machines and chipsets, i have found and seen first hand that Intel processors use alot less processor resources during a processor intensive task. and another reason i did not do AMD again was because the front side bus speeds are not near Intels spec exspecially with that EE edition out. AMD has been known to skimp on certain things and thats why their cheaper too. if this were a strictly gaming machine i would have considered a Athlon64 because their /supposed/ to be better for gaming ?

about the maxtor drives... their only 7200rpm drives, only a few models are avaiable right now with the 10.000rpm and SERIAL ATA, so i basically got two for slightly over the price of one 10k.rpm drive. and being set in raid-0 my throughtput has more than doubled as seen with results from different apps and Sisoft Sandra.

the only game i really play besides chess is QUAKE3. "the ultimate benchmarking game" anyone up for some frags ? i usually run a server and i will eventually get around to making VoiVod inspired themes for the levels, but its kinda of difficult. (anyone here familiar with (q3Radiant?)

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted November 29, 2004 10:10     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I have to make do with a mere 320 megs!

i have i gig of PC-100mhz memory 4 -256mb chips and one 256 mb stick on PC-133mhz lying around if anyones interested ?

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted November 29, 2004 15:57     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatross:
i have i gig of PC-100mhz memory 4 -256mb chips and one 256 mb stick on PC-133mhz lying around if anyones interested ?

Free? I'd be interested
ne0rcx@gmail.com

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan